Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 1 of 76 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

The official Sam Reid/Daniel Currie Memorial Eker Thread

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/eke

eke

2 to manage with difficulty to make (a living, livelihood etc) The artist could scarcely eke out a living from his painting.

'Ekers' is a term I use for players who are great at eking out a career. Please don't confuse my ekers with list cloggers though.

List cloggers include players who once were guns that are no longer worth their spot on the list. The term relates to their value here and now.

Being an Eker is based on:
    - Whole career: Never being a gun/All-Australian/Best and Fairest winner etc.
    - Just doing enough to survive.
    - Unlike the term 'list clogger', Eker does not imply you should be delisted (however it does help). You can actually be an Eker and a valuable member of your side.
    - Pure ekers survive by finding playing a role that their side really struggles to fill.
    - The longer the survive, the great an Eker you are.
    - Special bonus points for being able to survive despite being delisted/traded away for nothing.

The delistings that come with list lodgements are the worst time of the year for these Ekers. Many has fallen but that means even more eker respect for those who survived.

Anyways, after my super laborious explanations, here are my nominations for each club's greatest current Eker.

Adelaide: Michael Doughty
    Brisbane: Brent Staker
    Carlton: Simon Wiggins
    Collingwood: Leigh Brown
    Essendon: Nathan Lovett-Murray
    Fremantle: Antoni Grover
    Geelong: Josh Hunt
    Hawthorn: Simon Taylor
    Melbourne: Mark Jamar
    North Melbourne: Leigh Harding
    Port Adelaide: Jay Schulz
    Richmond: Jordan McMahon
    St.Kilda: Sean Dempster
    Sydney: Henry Playfair
    West Coast: Ashely Hansen
    Western Bulldogs: Nathan Eagleton

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

lol....

girlfriend busy 2nite Rocco?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    lol....

girlfriend busy 2nite Rocco?
    Watching Sopranos DVD.

Post Thanks / Like

If, as expected, he runs around again in 2010, Eagleton will have 'eked' out a career spanning near enough to 300 matches. That's a longer career than such luminaries as Carey, Buckley, Brereton, Flower and Skilton amongst others.

Simon Wiggins has indeed done a good job of being able to sustain a career spanning 9 seasons so far and 100+ matches with the talent he has been given.

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    If, as expected, he runs around again in 2010, Eagleton will have 'eked' out a career spanning near enough to 300 matches. That's a longer career than such luminaries as Carey, Buckley, Brereton, Flower and Skilton amongst others.

Simon Wiggins has done a good job of being able to sustain a career spanning 9 seasons so far and 100+ matches with the talent he has been given.
    Yep. I find players who keep on finding ways to extend their careers very interesting. Simon Wiggins is an Eker in it's purest form.

Doughty is as good as a footballer as you can be and still be an Eker at the moment. I was suprised to hear he is 30. 166 games for 3 Brownlow votes. Crows delisting Nick Gill was very harsh on this exercise.

Post Thanks / Like

All hail the great Eker of all time!

Post Thanks / Like

My first thought when I saw this thread was of the multitude of Kevin Sheedy 'special projects' to have eked out 8+ season careers for the Bombers - the likes of Kevin Walsh, David Flood, Dean Wallis, David Grenvold, Mark Bolton and Aaron Henneman.

Of past Dogs, I would think that the likes of Nigel Kellett, Greg Eppulstun and Todd Curley all fit the 'eker' criteria quite well. Luke O'Sullivan is 'eker' royalty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Anyways, after my super laborious explanations, here are my nominations for each club's greatest current Eker.

Adelaide: Michael Doughty
    Brisbane: Brent Staker
    Carlton: Simon Wiggins
    Collingwood: Leigh Brown
    Essendon: Nathan Lovett-Murray
    Fremantle: Antoni Grover
    Geelong: Josh Hunt
    Hawthorn: Simon Taylor
    Melbourne: Mark Jamar
    North Melbourne: Leigh Harding
    Port Adelaide: Jay Schulz
    Richmond: Jordan McMahon
    St.Kilda: Sean Dempster
    Sydney: Henry Playfair
    West Coast: Ashely Hansen
    Western Bulldogs: Nathan Eagleton
    IIRC, at least half of those are playing with at least their second club. Coincidence or part of your theory?

If you're at a loose end, a list of Ekers who are premiership players over the last 15 years would be interesting - I'd bet most flag winning clubs had one.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    IIRC, at least half of those are playing with at least their second club. Coincidence or part of your theory?

If you're at a loose end, a list of Ekers who are premiership players over the last 15 years would be interesting - I'd bet most flag winning clubs had one.
    Part of my theory DR, it's a sign of being able to barely survive. I must not that there are many more Ekers running around, they are just the best at their club. Crows are rather bereft of them. There are a few up and coming Ekers too. I like the look of our very own Steven Tiller.

Shane Ellen is part of the Eker Alumni.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Part of my theory DR, it's a sign of being able to barely survive. I must not that there are many more Ekers running around, they are just the best at their club. Crows are rather bereft of them. There are a few up and coming Ekers too. I like the look of our very own Steven Tiller.

Shane Ellen is part of the Eker Alumni.
    Looking from their draft year onwards, perhaps they're a little better than they are given credit for.

IIRC, only 30-50% of first round draft picks are successful and that figure gets a lot worse very quickly round by round. But 5 or 10 years on, the Ekers are still listed, battling on.

In this sense, they should be celebrated - they've done a lot better than most of their draft peers.

I suppose another factor is the salary cap - it would be great for a team to have a list of stars, but no club can afford them. Ekers are essential!
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post

Jason Ekermanis played in 3 premiership sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Running Dog View Post
    Jason Ekermanis played in 3 premiership sides.
    Aker, noted similarity in his surname aside, is about as far from an Eker as you would find.

Ekers don't win Brownlow medals as part of a Fab Four widely acknowledged as one of the best midfield quartets of all time, play 16 years of top-class football and kick countless magical goals, and be remembered as one of the greatest and most influential half-back flankers turned midfielders turned goalsneaks of the modern era.

Even in '09 he was still in the top 5 for all key indicators at the Dogs (and our top goalscorer!), so he's not even 'eke'ing out his final years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Aker, noted similarity in his surname aside, is about as far from an Eker as you would find.

Ekers don't win Brownlow medals as part of a Fab Four widely acknowledged as one of the best midfield quartets of all time, play 16 years of top-class football and kick countless magical goals, and be remembered as one of the greatest and most influential half-back flankers turned midfielders turned goalsneaks of the modern era.

Even in '09 he was still in the top 5 for all key indicators at the Dogs (and our top goalscorer!), so he's not even 'eke'ing out his final years.
    I'm aware of all that- it was just a play on words!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Running Dog View Post
    I'm aware of all that- it was just a play on words!
    Haha. Noted.

Post Thanks / Like

Skipper must be a certainty, not many games at all but stayed on the list for what seems an eternity.