Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 2 of 92 FirstFirst 12345678910111252 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Skipper must be a certainty, not many games at all but stayed on the list for what seems an eternity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Skipper must be a certainty, not many games at all but stayed on the list for what seems an eternity.
    He would have been our Eker but it's only including currently listed players. As I mentioned, list lodgement time to Ekers is akin to duck season for ducks.

Post Thanks / Like

Good topic Rocco.

If I'm reading the Eker rules correctly I reckon that the post '96 version of Libba would be one of the great ekers of all time as well. He's won a Brownlow and been a gun through the early to mid '90s and was all washed up at the end of '96 but managed to eke out another six years by taking the 'in your face tagger' to another level.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Good topic Rocco.

If I'm reading the Eker rules correctly I reckon that the post '96 version of Libba would be one of the great ekers of all time as well. He's won a Brownlow and been a gun through the early to mid '90s and was all washed up at the end of '96 but managed to eke out another six years by taking the 'in your face tagger' to another level.
    Libba is an interesting one. As I mentioned in my OP, Ekerism is based on a player's whole career and being a gun means you're ineligible. As you point out, Libba's career from 1996 on is pure Eker.

Baker's career is an Eker. His whole career is like Libba's career post Round 21, 1996.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Libba is an interesting one. As I mentioned in my OP, Ekerism is based on a player's whole career and being a gun means you're ineligible. As you point out, Libba's career from 1996 on is pure Eker.

Baker's career is an Eker. His whole career is like Libba's career post Round 21, 1996.

I wonder if there's another player in AFL history who went from gun to Eker (or tried to) that's managed to get more eker time than gun time? For Libba I make it 1990-1995 gun period, 1996 meh! period then 96-2002 eker period which gives him 6 years as a gun, 1 year list clogging and 7 years ekerering.

I reckon Steve Wallis had an eker conversion too. He went from a high possession winning centreman in his early years to a hardasnails half back flanker toward the end of his career. Doug Hawkins spent his last couple of years playing as a forward pocket away from the wing where he made his legend, does he count as an eker.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Jayson Daniels the red head from St.Kilda and Swans surely was an eker? Played nearly 200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I wonder if there's another player in AFL history who went from gun to Eker (or tried to) that's managed to get more eker time than gun time? For Libba I make it 1990-1995 gun period, 1996 meh! period then 96-2002 eker period which gives him 6 years as a gun, 1 year list clogging and 7 years ekerering.

I reckon Steve Wallis had an eker conversion too. He went from a high possession winning centreman in his early years to a hardasnails half back flanker toward the end of his career. Doug Hawkins spent his last couple of years playing as a forward pocket away from the wing where he made his legend, does he count as an eker.
    I love your thinking and agree that all 3 players are great examples of guns that had eker ends to their careers but true Ekers are ekers all the way through.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Jayson Daniels the red head from St.Kilda and Swans surely was an eker? Played nearly 200
    Perfect Eker, well done.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Jack fits perfectly.

I work with Jack - so I didn't really write that did I? He will think I am at him again.
    I bleed Red,White & Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my 2009 All-Eker Side (featuring some fallen Ekers )

B: Grover, Watt, D.Johnson
    HB: Wheatley, Thurstans, L.Harding
    C: Eagleton, Doughty, Notting
    HF: Wiggins, Staker, Hansen
    F: L.Brown, Playfair, Lovett-Murray
    R: Jamar, S.Power, Baker
    I/C: Skipper, Gill, Wight, Gilmore

Captain: Simon Wiggins
    Vice Captain: Nathan Eagleton
    Coach: Mark Harvey

Post Thanks / Like

Steven Sziller would be in the Eker hall of fame, played 150+ games at 2 clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the current CEO of the Australia Eker's League (AEL)

[B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

SS post has reminded me to start my...

EKER HALL OF FAME

Luke O'Sullivan

Jayson Daniels

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Here's the current CEO of the Australia Eker's League (AEL)

Yep, there are some powerful Ekers going around. A couple of senior coaches were once Ekers.

Post Thanks / Like

Sheedy and Eade??