Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Allowing mature aged players with AFL experience to be placed on rookie lists has been fantastic for the Eker movement. Today we saw some Ekers get another chance. Welcome back Skipper, Cam Cloke, Leigh Fisher, Newton, Meesen, Daniel Harris, Playfair and JON.

There is also another reason for Eker lovers to celebrate today. With the 1st pick in the PSD, Gold Coast obtained their first ever Eker in Daniel Harris. Congratulations to both club and player!

Here is the update list:

Adelaide: Michael Doughty
    Brisbane: Brent Staker
    Carlton: Simon Wiggins
    Collingwood: Leigh Brown
    Essendon: Nathan Lovett-Murray
    Fremantle: Antoni Grover
    Geelong: Josh Hunt
    Gold Coast: Daniel Harris
    Hawthorn: Wayde Skipper
    Melbourne: Mark Jamar
    North Melbourne: Leigh Harding
    Port Adelaide: Cameron Cloke
    Richmond: Jordan McMahon
    St.Kilda: Leigh Fisher
    Sydney: Henry Playfair
    West Coast: Ashley Hansen
    Western Bulldogs: Tim Callan
    Last edited by Rocco Jones; 16-12-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have thought Hunt and Eagleton were better than ekers Rocco

Eagle kicked 3 in a semi final last year, Hunt a premiership winning back pocket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I would have thought Hunt and Eagleton were better than ekers Rocco

Eagle kicked 3 in a semi final last year, Hunt a premiership winning back pocket
    Yet another one who has misunderstood what the term means!

Eker does not mean you are a dud (although it helps), it just means you have never been a star.

Hunt a "premiership winning back pocket". Not sure how much of a better player that makes him. Aaron Keating was a premiership winning ruckman.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yet another one who has misunderstood what the term means!

Eker does not mean you are a dud (although it helps), it just means you have never been a star.

Hunt a "premiership winning back pocket". Not sure how much of a better player that makes him. Aaron Keating was a premiership winning ruckman.
    Without being stars I view Hunt and Eagle as more talented than the level of players you have otherwise included

Wiggins, Brown and C Cloke - classic ekers IMO

Studentlib Guest

Is there any other industry other than politics where a supreme eker like Skipper can earn What? 3 to5 times or more the average wage for around a decade? and never look like being promoted from his casual/ on call position.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Studentlib View Post
    Is there any other industry other than politics where a supreme eker like Skipper can earn What? 3 to5 times or more the average wage for around a decade? and never look like being promoted from his casual/ on call position.
    Academia.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Academia.

Nah. They have tenure.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Nah. They have tenure.
    Not always. I know guys who've been 'on the bench' (but earning quite a bit over the average wage, so don't feel too sorry for them) for over a decade -- doing post-doctorate research, tutoring pimply-faced undergrads, floating about on a casual contract or grant money while waiting for one of the old fogeys (who hog all the tenured posts, especially at the more 'prestigious' institutions/faculties) to retire or drop dead.

Warmed the bench for a while myself after finishing graduate school but left after realising that despite the freedom of not having set work hours (other than your teaching commitments) and an endless stream of good-looking postgrads passing through, it was ultimately a boring, dead-end job being on permanent reserve, ala Wayde Skipper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Without being stars I view Hunt and Eagle as more talented than the level of players you have otherwise included

Wiggins, Brown and C Cloke - classic ekers IMO
    Geelong and us are going pretty well, who else do you suggest as Ekers?

Remember that longevity is a great trait for an Eker. Longevity - Ability = Eker

I also think you are overrating Josh Hunt. I wonder how highly you would rate him if he didn't play for Geelong. An ordinary player with a sweet gig imo.

Post Thanks / Like

Leigh Fisher is still on St Kilda's list?

Surely not.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Leigh Fisher is still on St Kilda's list?

Surely not.
    A true Eker.

Will turn 26 next year and go into his 9th year on an AFL list despite only (or somehow) managing 55 games.

24-25 if probably the minimum age for an Eker.

I have had a think about it and have decided to change the official Bulldogs Eker.

He will turn 26 next year, next season will be his eight on an AFL list, he has only managed 33 games and has played for two clubs. Tim Callan, proud Eker.

Studentlib Guest

What pay and conditions would/should the average eker contract include?

Post Thanks / Like

Henry Playfair is the new 'eker' poster boy - most of us thought he was delisted 2 years ago. And with Skipper a chance to play for the Hawks this week, it's shaping up to be a massive weekend for the 'eker' movement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Henry Playfair is the new 'eker' poster boy - most of us thought he was delisted 2 years ago. And with Skipper a chance to play for the Hawks this week, it's shaping up to be a massive weekend for the 'eker' movement.
    ha ha when I saw he was named I knew this thread would be dragged back to life. Nice work, Mr. Sir.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Great work Sedat, a massive weekend for the Eker movement indeed.

Playfair and Skipper are almost at Eker legend status. They simply will not allow so called barriers such as a lack of talent and being delisted to stop them from having long AFL careers.

Godspeed to you both!

It isn't all good news in Eker land though. Melbourne's so called head Eker is on official notice. Mark Jamar you seem to think you are too good for just getting by and have arguably been the best ruckman outside of Sandilands this year. Very disappointing although last week's performance shows that all may not be lost.

Anyways Ekers, keep on with the motto: Just do it.