Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 68 of 92 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1368
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Jesse White played 122 games of AFL football.

Crikey!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Jesse White played 122 games of AFL football.

Crikey!
    If you are tall and athletic you don't actually need to be good at football as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If you are tall and athletic you don't actually need to be good at football as well.

I could understand a couple of games to assess a guy and see how he adapts to playing with the big boys but taking 122 games to make a call on a bloke!

Crikey!

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Reid - 50th game coming up - a milestone 9 years and 247 days in the making.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes azabob, The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam Reid - 50th game coming up - a milestone 9 years and 247 days in the making.
    Everyone's favourite ex-bulldog. That's an outstanding effort. I think he's had three de listings and a couple of Rookie Listings and promotions.

7. Likes JohnGentStand liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Delisted in 2013, stayed on with GWS as a development coach, redrafted for the 2016 season as a rookie after two years spent as a part time coach, part time NEAFL player, delisted again last year, only to be re-rookied a second time.

Eker HOF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Delisted in 2013, stayed on with GWS as a development coach, redrafted for the 2016 season as a rookie after two years spent as a part time coach, part time NEAFL player, delisted again last year, only to be re-rookied a second time.

Eker HOF.
    Plus being diagnosed with a chronic illness which requires 24/7 management ontop of all his injuries

Crazy good.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Reid should be the perpetual King Of The Ekers. 50 games in almost 10 years. That is commitment.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, Sam Reid has to be the King eker of all time.

Although. There is one guy from our VFA years I can't remember his real name but his nickname was Buzz. He played one game in 1898 and then played another in 1908 (I'm going by memory here) the story being that he played that one game in 1898, didn't play another so he became the club trainer and ten years down he track one of the players hasn't turned up to play so in order to send out a full team Buzz plays his second, and last, game for Footscray 11 years after he played his first.

That my friends is ekering at its finest, to wait eleven years and find a different role around the club just to be on hand when the call goes out. "Buzz. Did you bringg your boots?"

13. Likes Jeanette54, WBFC4FFC, Mofra, boydogs, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nine years and 247 days later, it's game 50

HE'S A self-confessed footy nut these days, so nobody appreciates a juicy bit of trivia more than Greater Western Sydney defender Sam Reid.

Especially when it revolves around the Giant himself.

Friday night's clash between GWS and Geelong will be Reid's 50th senior appearance, a long-awaited milestone almost 10 years in the making.

When Reid runs onto GMHBA Stadium to take on the Cats, it will be nine years and 247 days since he debuted for the Western Bulldogs against Adelaide way back in round 22, 2008.

It's the third-longest journey to the half-century in the game's history - behind Syd Barker snr (Richmond/Essendon - 15 years, 353 days) and George McLeod (St Kilda/Essendon – 14 years, 82 days) – and is the longest in the draft era.

"I saw that stat and I've been claiming it to the boys," Reid said with a laugh this week.

"When you start out you want to get yourself in the record books or make yourself a trivia question and I think I've nailed that one."

Reid played just 10 games in four seasons with the Bulldogs before being lured to the Giants when they joined the competition, but after 14 games in the first two seasons at his new club, he was axed again.

A two-year stint playing NEAFL and helping the Giants in a development role followed and, free of the constant shoulder injuries that plagued him previously and the pressures of playing in the AFL, Reid started to attract the interest of senior coach Leon Cameron.

He's been on the rookie list ever since and in the past two seasons has become an important member of Cameron's side.

"What would you call it, probably a rollercoaster," he said.

"There's been some ups and downs, a couple of sackings and it's been a long ride.

"But the body feels amazing and I'm back playing in a top-four team, which sounds kind of ridiculous from where I was five years ago.

"Not many people get an opportunity and I've been drafted and re-drafted three times, so I'm just grateful to be honest."

Reid was the Dogs' third choice at the 2007 NAB AFL draft behind Jarrad Grant (pick five) and the Giants’ current co-captain Callan Ward (19), with the 28-year-old taken with the 34th selection overall, one behind GWS teammate Dawson Simpson, who was drafted by Geelong.

Cameron was an assistant coach at the Bulldogs when Reid arrived at the club and was Kevin Sheedy's right-hand man when he was de-listed from the Giants, so he's seen more than one stint of Reid’s remarkable footy journey up close.

"It feels like a major milestone for 'Reidy', 50 games seems more like it's 150," he said.

"He's a popular person around our footy club and has a number of great traits.

"When he plays he gives it everything he's got.

"The flexibility he provides whether it's half-back, onball, wing or half-forward, it doesn't matter, wherever he lines up he gets the job done for our team."

Post Thanks / Like

This is one of the reasons I love Sam Reid.

When you start out you want to get yourself in the record books or make yourself a trivia question and I think I've nailed that one.

Add it to the fact he is about as good as I am at football but he's managed to last ten years on AFL lists and he's just forced his way into an assembled star studded ensemble and may well be a premiership player by year's end. He's done well.

Post Thanks / Like

It's the third-longest journey to the half-century in the game's history - behind Syd Barker snr (Richmond/Essendon - 15 years, 353 days) and George McLeod (St Kilda/Essendon – 14 years, 82 days) – and is the longest in the draft era
    I've heard of Barker before, he's such a legend at North Melbourne that they named their B&F after him. He was the captain during their pathetic attempt to establish a dynasty in the VFA prior to WWI. He went to North after it didn't work out at Richmond for him, played at North for yonks, probably went away to the war (he was a fireman so maybe that was a reserved occupation?) then again after the war.

Syd Barker only went to Essendon because North decided to merge with them halfway through the 1921 season. They sent all their best players to Essendon (again this is halfway through the season) and just abandoned their remaining VFA fixtures. Essendon did the dirty on them and didn't end up merging with them. They kept all the really good players though.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve Morris is running around for Richmond VFL, is he still on the Tigers list because he's a guy that's gotten a lot out of very little talent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Steve Morris is running around for Richmond VFL, is he still on the Tigers list because he's a guy that's gotten a lot out of very little talent.
    Nope, just playing VFL.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Sam Reid should be the perpetual King Of The Ekers. 50 games in almost 10 years. That is commitment.
    No one can displace Daniel Curry. His position as Emperor of Ekerdom is unassailable.
    ODE TO DANIEL CURRIE

Will the game ever produce another Daniel Currie?
    Not on your life mate, not in a hurry
    Eleven years in the system, ten games all told
    The Emperor of Ekers, an eker rolled gold.

A Northern Knights product of imposing size
    2006 saw his star on the rise
    Snapped up by the Swans with pick 49
    A promising future was sure looking fine.

But what started out well soon turned to muck
    Our two metre hero ran out of luck
    The injury curse raised its ugly head
    And, more often than not he was prostrate in bed.

A shoulder, a hamstring, an elbow and more
    One Monday at training he walked into a door!
    Tonsillitis, encephalitis, toothache, a break
    And a bout of the flu that he just couldn't shake.

In addition to this he faced stiff competition
    Mike Pike and The Mummy occupied his position
    So four years at the Swans yeilded sweet bugger all
    So our out of luck hero prepared for the fall.

In 2012 he was rejected by all
    Seems no one wanted a lumbering tall
    But was he dejected, was he dismayed?
    No! Our hero transferred to - North Adelaide!

A spell in the SANFL was just the
    right move
    Big Daniel Currie rediscovered his groove
    Some stellar performances, huge stats and some goals
    Recruiters came sniffing
    Dan's on a roll

2013, at pick 56,
    Saw Dan heading home
    To peddle his tricks

Snapped up by the Roos
    His heart full of hope
    This time he'd make it
    Or ... he'd go broke

He gave it his best shot
    And made his debut
    He'd spent seven long years
    Marooned in the queue

But four games in three years
    Was a meager return
    For a big guy with heart
    And desire to burn

Rejected, unwanted? No you are wrong!
    For the Suns came a calling
    He'd have to learn
    A new song!

Two years on the Gold Coast
    Saw improvement of sorts
    Six games and three goals
    And some injuries ... of course!

So now the curtain's come down
    On Dan Currie's 4 club career
    Eleven years, ten games and six goals in all
    Not a bad strike rate for a lumbering tall.

He's left the arena without much a do
    Unheralded, he's bowed out, an eker true blue
    His career has ended without fanfare or fuss
    And the Suns have thrown him under a bus

But comrades stand fast, take heart and keep trust
    Daniel Currie: - forever remembered by ekerists like us

He fought the good fight
    His effort never diminished
    Now, King of the Ekers
    Your time - it is finished.

Vale Daniel Currie
    Will we ever see the like of him again?

Last edited by merantau; 18-11-2017 at 10:37 AM.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

20. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, jeemak liked this post