Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 79 of 92 FirstFirst ... 29697071727374757677787980818283848586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1368
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The official Sam Reid/Daniel Currie Memorial Eker Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    64 games across 9 seasons, time on the rookie list - yeh he's an Eker. Loses points for being a one club player and never being delisted.

Roarke gets ahead by never being on the main list, being delisted and redrafted twice. 23 games across 6-7 years.
    In my book Jong also loses eker points for mostly missing games through injury rather than a lack of talent.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    64 games across 9 seasons, time on the rookie list - yeh he's an Eker. Loses points for being a one club player and never being delisted.

Roarke gets ahead by never being on the main list, being delisted and redrafted twice. 23 games across 6-7 years.
    Roarke is a special category with '21 being his 7th year on the Rookie List. has anyone else managed 7 consecutive years as a Rookie Listed Player
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Without delving into history too much the KING of the ekers to me is Dale Kickett. He played for Fitzroy, West Coast, St.Kilda, Essendon and Fremantle. 5 Clubs totalling 181 games. Will go down as an immortal eker.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Without delving into history too much the KING of the ekers to me is Dale Kickett. He played for Fitzroy, West Coast, St.Kilda, Essendon and Fremantle. 5 Clubs totalling 181 games. Will go down as an immortal eker.
    I can't remember DK, but 181 games suggests he had too much ability to be considered a true Eker. Was it more his attitude that had him club hopping?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Don't agree Rocco?

Lachie Henderson is no eker either but hard to find one at Geelong.
    The insolence! Thread's name even got changed!

Funny how the Grand Finalists are so hard to Eker up. Tigers are incredibly hard. I hear you re: McIntosh but four years is too short to be an Eker. You can be a premiership Eker. McIntosh is just very, very low on the Eker Spectrum.

Lachie Henderson has been at 3 clubs and never hit stardom. He was delisted and rookied, pretty Eker. Again, Geelong are a real tough one.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of historical examples.

Les Abbott was the first five club player. Between 1904-1912 he played 39 games at five clubs (Coll, Carl, Rich, Melb and South) over six seasons (he missed a couple of years)

Les Hughson became the second five club player. Between 1937-47 he played 75 games at five clubs (Coll, Haw, Carl, St K and Fitz) over eight years (he also missed a couple of years)

The prototype ekers.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

10. Likes bornadog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I can't remember DK, but 181 games suggests he had too much ability to be considered a true Eker. Was it more his attitude that had him club hopping?
    Yep comrade. Didn't have any player welfare in those days.

Post Thanks / Like

In events that will warm the hearts of eker fans everywhere Matthew Flynn from GWS has been confirmed as finally making his debut this weekend - 1,944 days after he was drafted back in 2015!

13. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    In events that will warm the hearts of eker fans everywhere Matthew Flynn from GWS has been confirmed as finally making his debut this weekend - 1,944 days after he was drafted back in 2015!
    I'm sick of this 'tall person privilege'.

Just once, I want a pudgy small forward kept on a list for almost 2000 days without playing a single AFL game. Is that too much to ask?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm sick of this 'tall person privilege'.

Just once, I want a pudgy small forward kept on a list for almost 2000 days without playing a single AFL game. Is that too much to ask?
    Dew was plucked from an SA KFC carpark to play a season with Hawthorn after he retired
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

17. Likes The bulldog tragician, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Deleted as link didn't work. There must be a lot of ekers in the racing world - jockeys, trainers, owners, horses. Les Boots' story below.
    Last edited by merantau; 17-03-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

In the world of horse racing Les Boots is an Eker Without Equal. Enjoy.

"Les Boots claimed to be the worst jumps jockey in the world.

He had 39 rides and fell off 40 times - in one race he fell off, caught the horse and remounted, only to fall off again at the next fence.

He rode for 18 years in Adelaide, and reckoned he spent 12 of them in hospital.

Les broke just about every bone in his body.

Bookies would post 100/1 odds for every mount, no matter what the horse's form.

``Once the South Australian Jockey Club was going to bar me from riding because I was putting too big a strain on their Workers Compensation Fund,'' Les said in a hilarious interview with the great caller Bert Bryant in 1987.

``My wife used to wrap my pyjamas in a brown paper bag and put them with my riding gear, which was embarrassing when other jockeys spotted them,'' he said.

``She ended up barring me from taking the kids on the merry-go-round at the local shows after I fell off three times.

``The nurses at the Adelaide General Hospital used to buy the racing papers, not to have a bet but to check if I had a ride, so they could make up my usual bed in advance.

``I once fell off at the first fence, breaking my leg, then fell out of the ambulance on the way back to the casualty room, then while they were carrying me across the lawn I fell off the stretcher.

``One misty, foggy day at Victoria Park I fell off at the first jump and, being a bit winded, was lying on the track waiting for the ambulance to arrive when through the fog I heard this voice saying, `I think we'll have to shoot him'.

``I beat the ambulance back to the jockey room where they sedated me and explained they were talking about the horse.''"

Copied from a post on "racetalk.com"

20. Likes SquirrelGrip, Bulldog Joe, Mofra, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad news, Sam has been delisted. But here’s hoping he’s got one more season in him somewhere. What an eking career.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

22. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sad news, Sam has been delisted. But here’s hoping he’s got one more season in him somewhere. What an eking career.
    Surely GWS will re-rookie him.

24. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sad news indeed. Sam was a top shelf eker who assembled an impressive CV. Definitely Eker Hall of Fame candidate.