Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 10 of 92 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post

I was going to ask fellow Eker fans to make nominations for our Eker Hall of Ordinariness. Luke O'Sullivan and Jayson Daniels are the original members and I am inculding Ricky Nixon in as well.

Brilliant Rocco; Ricky N. truly deserves his place in the Eker Hall of Ordinariness.

If I may be so bold as to nominate another:

Anthony Rock

North Melbourne 1988 - 1998, 178 games, 138 goals
    Hawthorn 1999 - 2001, 44 games, 17 goals

Discovering exactly how Rocky's career lasted 222 games over fourteen seasons at two clubs would require a greater scientific undertaking than the human genome project; especially when considering his 175cm stature and that his most memorable contributions to footy were being a sex symbol to the toothless old moles at North Melbourne and the publicity he sought for the tattoo on his arse.

Oh Rocky, in my youth, how I hated thee; but I am man enough to put old prejudices aside to see that you are given the rightful recognition you deserve.

The Eker Hall of Ordinariness will be a better place with A. Rock in it.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Lance Piccione on here, surely he must be?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Rocket View Post
    Brilliant Rocco; Ricky N. truly deserves his place in the Eker Hall of Ordinariness.

If I may be so bold as to nominate another:

Anthony Rock

North Melbourne 1988 - 1998, 178 games, 138 goals
    Hawthorn 1999 - 2001, 44 games, 17 goals

The Eker Hall of Ordinariness will be a better place with A. Rock in it.
    He's eked his way into coaching jobs despite showing no real aptitude. Extra points for extending your football career beyond the field.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225937599112

Great day for the Eker movement with Brad Miller set to get a career lifeline. Long may he continue to make his searching leads to nowhere in particular for another year at least.

Post Thanks / Like

I nominate Marcus North.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    I nominate Marcus North.
    Had a similar thought the other day. This would be the first cricketer nominee?

Seconded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

Seconded.
    Yeah I think it is, as soon as I heard he'd made a hundred the other day this thread is what I first thought of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post

Seconded.
    Its funny, because top-level cricket is supposed to be hard to break into, you wouldn't think (or hope for that matter) that there would be an eker among them. Then along comes Marcus North.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Its funny, because top-level cricket is supposed to be hard to break into, you wouldn't think (or hope for that matter) that there would be an eker among them. Then along comes Marcus North.
    That's what makes him so amazing and gives me hope for my football career.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to nominate probably one of the Greatest Ekers of our era.

none other than the great

Clive Waterhouse:

In November 1995, Fremantle used its number 1 selection in the National Draft to procure the exciting 20 year old who initially found the high expectations associated with his elevated ranking difficult to come to terms with. ( A classic symptom of being an Eker!)

However, after playing just 11 games in his debut season with the Dockers he began to perform with more conviction in 1996, leaving little doubt as to his enormous natural ability, and suggesting that he only needed to add a touch of consistency to his make up in order to become a genuine champion.
    (Again at some point and Eker should be compared with the word Champion)

Unfortunately, his career has been beset by frequent injuries, some niggling, others - as in the the case of the severely damaged knee which saw him miss the entire 2002 season - more serious. Given that Waterhouse was spending so much time either on the sidelines completely, or playing in the WAFL with Claremont, it was no real surprise when, at the end of the 2004 season, the Dockers finally lost patience with him, and he was delisted. Returning to South Australia, he lined up in 2005 with Port Adelaide Magpies.
    (What a better place to finish ones career as an Eker?)

(excerpt from fullpointsfooty.net)

Post Thanks / Like

Loving the replies guys.

I think a true cricketing and sporting Eker is Nick Jewell. Marcus North is a funny one, definitely an Eker at international level but very good to gun range at first class level where he has spent most of his career.

Post Thanks / Like

Can a no. 1 draft pick be an Eker?

What about Steven Sziller? Somehow managed to play 156 games

Brownlow Medal - R7, 1999
    St.K v WC

3. B. Hall (St.K)
    2. S. Sziller (St.K)
    1. R. Harvey (St. K)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Loving the replies guys.

I think a true cricketing and sporting Eker is Nick Jewell. Marcus North is a funny one, definitely an Eker at international level but very good to gun range at first class level where he has spent most of his career.
    I just can't go past Geoff Marsh for cricketing Ekers. He managed to Eke out 50 tests, for 4 hundreds and a strike rate of a staggering 35.13. In true Eker fashion he only had one shot (the square cut) yet somehow managed to get his hands on the Vice-Captaincy due to his spiritual contribution to the team, a characteristic of a true Eker.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    not just break into but somehow hold onto the spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    not just break into but somehow hold onto the spot.
    You'll bet that the rationale has something to do with the 'leadership' and 'dressing-room culture' that he brings to the team. Well then, make him head cheerleader or something, but get someone in there that will actually make a couple of runs and take a few wickets.

I don't know about you, but a certain C.White would be a good starting point.