Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 15 of 92 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242565 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Will he be able to stick around long enough to get the Eker certificate? Can one be an Eker without having actually played a game?
    Yep, the less games, the better.

The Eker formula= Years in the AFL / output

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yes, in fact it makes him a potential Eker Hall of Famer.
    I love this thread.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yep, the less games, the better.

The Eker formula= Years in the AFL / output
    OK, my mistake. In that case, I'm going to go all out with a "Don't play Mulligan campaign"...
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to ever post this but I am changing the conditions of being The Rhino. It will now be given once lists have been completed after the rookie list draft to the player who demonstrates the greatest Eker like qualities in surviving.

This means Leigh Brown has retrospectively lost his Rhino for 2010. His above standard form goes against the vibe of the whole thing. Here are the retrospective winners for the years that the Eker movement has been formalised.

2009-Wayde Skipper staying on Dogs list for years then surviving delisting with Hawks picking him up

2010-Paul Johnson drafted to his third club via the special training squad rookie list. Ironically, he might have take the previous Rhino winners spot on the list.

Post Thanks / Like

With a two year contract, Hooper is being groomed as WB Eker Champion. Sam Ried?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    With a two year contract, Hooper is being groomed as WB Eker Champion. Sam Ried?
    Yep. Hooper and Reid for different reasons are definitely plateau and coming (get it? the Eker up and coming, ha!) Ekers.

DJ has a 3 year contract too.

Post Thanks / Like

Honourable mentions to-

Sydney- Mark Seaby

Freo- Jonathan Griffin, Kepler Bradley

Geelong- Mark Blake

Hawthorn- Tom Murphy

Melbourne- Matthew Warnock

West Coast- Brad Dalziell

And potential Eker rising star Essendon's Scott Gumbleton.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

Honourable mentions to-

Sydney- Mark Seaby

Freo- Jonathan Griffin, Kepler Bradley

Geelong- Mark Blake

Hawthorn- Tom Murphy

Melbourne- Matthew Warnock

West Coast- Brad Dalziell

And potential Eker rising star Essendon's Scott Gumbleton.

Brilliant Greystache.

I'd like to suggest that Blake has surpassed all at Geelong and become one of the league's great Ekers.

As Rocco has pointed out, the Eker formula is:

Years in the AFL / Output.

Now it's common knowledge that a Journeyman Eker is far more renowned than a Club Servant Eker, meaning that 'Years in the AFL' is weighted on how many teams a potential Eker has played for.

But what about 'Output'?

If you look at Blake's complete lack of influence and staggeringly little improvement over his 7 year, 99 game career, you'd think he was just a promising Eker who could one day attain glory if he hangs around a while longer.

But Blake's output needs to be measured not just by his contribution on the field, but by his total influence at that club. To keep him at a time when he had currency, Geelong were forced to lose Stephen King (44 games for St Kilda in three years); and his expensive long term contract meant that they could not afford to keep Shane Mumford (29 games for Sydney to date including a nominee for the All Australian Team in 2010).

This is an Eker that Geelong has bled for.

His formula becomes:

7 Years / (Bugger All - a sad end to the career of a favourite son - a leg up to St Kilda - an assistant coach at St Kilda - the long term career of one of the best ruckmen in the AFL)

That's pretty hard to beat.

My hat's off to him.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree TR. Mark Blake is the new Geelong leading Eker.

And Greystache, the term is Plateauing Star.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah of course it is, sorry Rocco.

Post Thanks / Like

Rocco, I'd like to nominate Jeff Gieshen.
    Not sure how good he was as a player but as a coach and now umpires boss he is surely Eker legend status for off field achievements, well lack of.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, left field nomination for sure but I think it is a great one.

Post Thanks / Like

That really opens the game up then. Peter Rhode, Neil Daniher, Chris Connelly etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the lateral thinking guys. Tony Elshaug would be perfect if he didn't resign from the Saints. Still, he had a great time as an eker.

Post Thanks / Like

You want left field, I'll give you left field: I nominate James Sherry.

I grew up watching James on Saturday Disney as a youngster. From there he hosted kids game show A*Mazing for many many years, and was then not heard from for a very long time, until emerging as the game day MC at Docklands, where he continues to do some reasonable work.

Would be well into his 40s now I would suspect but still plugging away, making a living.