Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 26 of 92 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Ekers playing wise who have gone on to be footy legends in another capacity Kevin Sheedy, Mick Malthouse Andrew DEmetriou. Wouldn't that make you the ultimate Ekers?
    Ricky Nixon the Eker of all professions, the moment he looked above ekerism he would do everything to keep Eker his main employer.
    You mean Kevin Sheedy the 250+ game, triple premiership player?

Post Thanks / Like

YEp Kevin Sheedy the 250 game premiership
    Player who was a hard nosed back pocket who with not much skill but a trier who gave his all to play the game a great Eker of all time
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Player who was a hard nosed back pocket who with not much skill but a trier who gave his all to play the game a great Eker of all time
    If that's the foundation then Terry Wheeler would also be an eker.

Post Thanks / Like

In that case I think you are re-defining the Eker Ledge, outside of the spirit originally intended by the Ekers founding father Rocco

I dont have a problem with you saying that Sheedys bigger contribution was in coaching, but to suggest he was an Eker is I think a bit of a stretch.

I am not arguing he was a brilliant player, but I dont think it applies to a guy who won a B&F in a super successful era, played as many games as Sheedy did and played in 3 premierships.

Judge Rocco I apply to the court for a ruling your honour?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    In that case I think you are re-defining the Eker Ledge, outside of the spirit originally intended by the Ekers founding father Rocco

I dont have a problem with you saying that Sheedys bigger contribution was in coaching, but to suggest he was an Eker is I think a bit of a stretch.

I am not arguing he was a brilliant player, but I dont think it applies to a guy who won a B&F in a super successful era, played as many games as Sheedy did and played in 3 premierships.

Judge Rocco I apply to the court for a ruling your honour?
    Ekerism is a broad church. Playing 250 + games doesn't automatically exclude you, although it makes you less of an Eker if that makes sense!

What excludes you is a season where you individually rise above upper average. Dempster making the AA team is an example and Sheedy winning a B&F is another.

Michael Doughty is a classic example of an Eker with a well deserved, long career.

Post Thanks / Like

To call Sheedy an Ecker is an insult. He played a lot of his footy as what was then called a ruck-rover and was a huge influence in Richmond's winning teams. Like Barassi, he was not super skilled but made up for that with sheer endeavour and like Barassi he would have been among the first picked every Thursday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    To call Sheedy an Ecker is an insult. He played a lot of his footy as what was then called a ruck-rover and was a huge influence in Richmond's winning teams. Like Barassi, he was not super skilled but made up for that with sheer endeavour and like Barassi he would have been among the first picked every Thursday night.
    Well my point was probably meant in the way he didn't have the natural ability but for sheer endeavour and dedication that is how an Eker would succeed and he did that extremely well
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see my man Matt Spangher get traded from Sydney to Hawthorn - he is surely approaching Eker Hall of Fame territory, landing at his 3rd club after being drafted in 2005 and having played less than 30 games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Good to see my man Matt Spangher get traded from Sydney to Hawthorn - he is surely approaching Eker Hall of Fame territory, landing at his 3rd club after being drafted in 2005 and having played less than 30 games.
    Why would the Hawks do it?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As soon as I saw Spangher confirmed as traded, I;

a) knew this thread would be updated immediately

and

b) Sedat would be the one who did it

Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Why would the Hawks do it?
    Cheap insurance down back, and because they've just traded Gilham to GWS.

EDIT - he's got a 2 year deal at the Hawks, that is great ekeing
    Last edited by Sedat; 26-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheap insurance down back, and because they've just traded Gilham to GWS.

EDIT - he's got a 2 year deal at the Hawks, that is great ekeing
    He must be in ekestacy (sorry, couldn't resist )
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats also to Aaron Edwards for landing at his 3rd club today, although he's almost too talented to be a true eker.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats also to Aaron Edwards for landing at his 3rd club today, although he's almost too talented to be a true eker.
    Can we have a category for those who eke out a career by living too much on their talents? They have a tantalising quality that the true ekers lack.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Toast View Post
    Can we have a category for those who eke out a career by living too much on their talents? They have a tantalising quality that the true ekers lack.
    Mitch Morton?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.