Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 31 of 92 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Just heard Spang got a 2 year contract extension at the Hawks. That will give him 11 consecutive seasons on a senior AFL list, and he's still shy of 50 games. Looks a lock for a future Eker hall of fame inductee.
    He's been very good this year and deserves it.

I love this thread.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

With lists finalised for awhile now, it's time for an updated Eker list.

Crows- Kyle Cheney: Going into his 8th year on an AFL list and at his third club. Plays the 'versatile' defender role that is oh so eked.
    Lions- Matt Maguire: Tough one here, a couple of options. Maguire has been a serviceable defender for most of his career but he looked done when let go by the Saints due to ongoing foot issues. He keeps on surviving and will have his 14 year on an AFL list.
    Blues- Andrejs Everitt: Another player who looked gone. 9 seasons, 3 clubs. Playing something that looks like a run with role, eker like.
    Pies- Clinton Young: 2 clubs, going into his 11th season. Outside eker type.
    Dons- Jonathan Giles: Reminds me of a journeyman back up centre in the NBA (not sure if I have ever revealed this, the inspiration for ekers). Spent 4 years on Port's list with playing an AFL game. Spent a season in the SANFL before being drafted by GWS. 3 seasons there and now at his third club in Essendon.
    Freo- Jonathon Griffin: Another journeyman NBA centre type. Going into his 11th season with a grand total of 69 AFL games.
    Cats- Dawson Simpson: Love a back up ruckman eker. 7 seasons, 24 games.
    Suns- Greg Broughton: 28 yo going into his 7th season after being delisted and re-rookied by his 2nd club.
    GWS- Dylan Addison: Going into his 10th year, great work DFA. Making a career out of being a good bloke.
    Hawks- Matthew Spangher: Just gets the gig over a super eker in Simpkin. 3 clubs, classic eker.
    North- Michael Frittio: Just gets it over McMahon. Going into his 14th season. Was going to be delisted before they lost Delaney. Another eker legend.
    Port- Tom Logan: Going into his 12th. At his 2nd club, he was delisted and re-rookied by Port at the end of 2014.
    Tigers- Matt Thomas: Quite a few similar options but I am going with Thomas. 10th season, 2nd club, rookie list time, dour type etc. Hampson, Petterd and Grigg also up there.
    Swans- Jeremy Laidler: 3 clubs in 7 years.
    Saints- Sean Dempster: Going into 13th season at 2nd club. Very much an eker in style.
    Eagles- Sam Butler: Going into his 12th season, in and out of the team.
    Doggies- Ayce Cordy: Actually quite hard to pick one with us! Ayce has gone 6 years for 20 games.

3. Likes bulldogtragic, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kyle Cheney looks to be firming as top Eker next season. Still can't forget his missed goal against us in Launceston from 8m out.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ayce is definitely now in Eker territory. His stats compare most favourably with other back-up ruckman ekers. He may be around for a long time yet due to the "either he stays or I go..." leverage factor. If Zaine is an A-Grader, Ayce may become the all time Eker King.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to know which club has played the most eker games. Not the most ekers, although that would be interesting, but the most games played by ekers. I reckon it would be us or Carlton.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thread deserves a bump with the news that Andrew Raines will debut for the Suns this weekend. He is boilerplate eker - 3 clubs, limited skills and never off an AFL list since his debut. Eker HoF beckons

8. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Thread deserves a bump with the news that Andrew Raines will debut for the Suns this weekend. He is boilerplate eker - 3 clubs, limited skills and never off an AFL list since his debut. Eker HoF beckons
    An excellent effort. 120 games in 12 years is oustanding. Anyone going at less than 10 ish games a year over more than a 7-8 year period is a quality eker. Hat's off to Andrew for also consistently finding himself playing reserves in terrible teams.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From the AFL website:

Brisbane Lions recruit Andrew Raines (29) was brought in to stiffen up the NEAFL team, but after overcoming an off-season injury, will now be promoted to the senior list
    Jesus. There's a lot to analyse here; 29 years old, having to be promoted off the rookie list, the fact he wasn't even brought in to play firsts (!!!).

He might be the GOAT. Seriously who's touching that?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Jeremy Laidler played his 50th game against us last week. 50 games, 3 clubs, 7 years....outstanding!
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    I believe Jeremy Laidler played his 50th game against us last week. 50 games, 3 clubs, 7 years....outstanding!
    What's even scarier is he was drafted as a rookie the same year as Jarrad Grant and is only 16 games behind him. Even worse he was drafted the year before Ayce Cordy and is 26 games in front of him . There's some pretty good ekers going around at the minute but I think Giles just has his nose in front, mostly because he was announced as a recruiting coup and a straight replacement for Ryder by Essendon and naturally is playing VFL .
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    What's even scarier is he was drafted as a rookie the same year as Jarrad Grant and is only 16 games behind him. Even worse he was drafted the year before Ayce Cordy and is 26 games in front of him . There's some pretty good ekers going around at the minute but I think Giles just has his nose in front, mostly because he was announced as a recruiting coup and a straight replacement for Ryder by Essendon and naturally is playing VFL .
    Outstanding examples of ekering right there!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I much prefer your multiple club ekers. One club ekers are just sad
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    I much prefer your multiple club ekers. One club ekers are just sad
    Multiple clubs definitely adds to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you are a small and achieve eker status it's a much better effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheney, Addison and Spangher are the top 3 ekers in the game at the moment IMO.