Thanks Thanks:  56
Likes Likes:  433
Page 42 of 92 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ekers

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I remember that Gary Walpole wore #42 - that's pretty tragic.

I think the phrase "turns like the Queen Mary" was coined after watching Bill Berry lumbering around the ground in his playing days. He was slower than a wet week.
    True. Bill certainly wasn't the most mobile of Ruckmen. The Bluey Hampshire/Bill Berry ruck combo didn't tear a swathe through many opposition defences.

GW was 42, preceded by Ross Christensen at 41 and followed by Rod MacPherson at 43. It's a silly little game that will suck in many long time Dogs watchers. If you focus on the early 80s, it also brings back some pretty awful memories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    True. Bill certainly wasn't the most mobile of Ruckmen. The Bluey Hampshire/Bill Berry ruck combo didn't tear a swathe through many opposition defences.

GW was 42, preceded by Ross Christensen at 41 and followed by Rod MacPherson at 43. It's a silly little game that will suck in many long time Dogs watchers. If you focus on the early 80s, it also brings back some pretty awful memories.
    Yep, tough days for a primary school kid surrounded by Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond supporters (there were hardly any Essendon or Hawthorn supporters back then, which shows what a bunch of Johnny-come-lately's they are).

Our games rarely featured on Seven's Big League or The Winners (Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond had a mortgage on almost every game), but I distinctly remember Doug Heywood from The Winners commentating a game between the Dogs and the Roys at the Junction oval one day. We were getting pummelled and he came up with this gem that sums up our Royce Hart years to a tee....."Mark Komp, kicks it like he normally does, very poorly"

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haha. Mark Komp's brother is my kids PE teacher.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Komp's gym in Barkly Street still operate?
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Does Komp's gym in Barkly Street still operate?

Up until a couple of months ago. West Footscray is changing quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is no doubt about that. More and more people are discovering the upside of living in the Western suburbs - and the biggest upside? WBFC. Go Dogs!
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, there is no doubt about that. More and more people are discovering the upside of living in the Western suburbs - and the biggest upside? WBFC. Go Dogs!
    I'd rather they stayed where they are. I rent.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately along with losing the unwanted element it is also losing its outer suburban charm.
    Where once stood Californian, Victorian and Edwardian houses with lots of charm and character, developers have cashed in on decent size blocks, demolished everything, used every portion of the block, overcrowded and put up many concrete, unstylish, generic, unsightly town houses.
    Fortunately the people who purchased the old home I renovated have kept it I one piece (although they did change my colour plan to one I'm not to sure about.), but every time I head back down to see my Mum I think I could never move back.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately along with losing the unwanted element it is also losing its outer suburban charm.
    Where once stood Californian, Victorian and Edwardian houses with lots of charm and character, developers have cashed in on decent size blocks, demolished everything, used every portion of the block, overcrowded and put up many concrete, unstylish, generic, unsightly town houses.
    Fortunately the people who purchased the old home I renovated have kept it I one piece (although they did change my colour plan to one I'm not to sure about.), but every time I head back down to see my Mum I think I could never move back.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    A lot of our suburbs are getting ruined by unwanted development.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    A lot of our suburbs are getting ruined by unwanted development.
    Maybe unwanted by people already living in an area...but obviously not unwanted by the growing population needing to be housed, that is driving the development.

Melbourne's population has (roughly) doubled since the 1970s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Maybe unwanted by people already living in an area...but obviously not unwanted by the growing population needing to be housed, that is driving the development.

Queuing has become an extreme sport in some parts of Melbourne. There's so many people at places like the Market its crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post

I will clarify.

100 year old building being torn down as KT31 mentions is a disgrace. That is what is happening all over Melbourne.

The planning and heritage laws are practically non-existent.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes KT31, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will clarify.

100 year old building being torn down as KT31 mentions is a disgrace. That is what is happening all over Melbourne.

Planning in particular. 100 apartment complexes being built at the end of courts, or on streets with one narrow entrance. Just insanity.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I will clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Planning in particular. 100 apartment complexes being built at the end of courts, or on streets with one narrow entrance. Just insanity.
    Look at all the extra residents they have stuck in that Buckingham development in that tiny street system.