Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Former Blue Edwards 'in mix' says Eade

I'm not sure I'd be prepared to using up a spot on the senior list but if he trains well and seems committed, definitley rookie him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Question:

Use the last pick on Edwards or Mal Lynch and risk losing the other in the rookie draft (and perhaps rooking them too)?
    Are we allowed to just add Lynch to the rookie list as a down-grade, or does that (I'm thinking Melbourne with Meesen/Newton) still allow for him to be 'up for grabs', or have we just missed the boat which would allow us to do so?

I'm sure all of the above has been answered somewhere, so sorry if someone is repeating themselves here.

FWIW, I'd prefer we use our ND picks on kids, and if we want to get some mature insurance, do that through the RD.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Are we allowed to just add Lynch to the rookie list as a down-grade, or does that (I'm thinking Melbourne with Meesen/Newton) still allow for him to be 'up for grabs', or have we just missed the boat which would allow us to do so?

I'm sure all of the above has been answered somewhere, so sorry if someone is repeating themselves here.

FWIW, I'd prefer we use our ND picks on kids, and if we want to get some mature insurance, do that through the RD.
    Lynch is fair game for anyone who wants him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Lynch is fair game for anyone who wants him.
    But, could we have down-graded him to a rookie if we wished, and he'd be ours? That is what I was getting at.

If we didn't, (or couldn't because we didn't wait for the rule change to be clarified - although surely I'd imagine a backdating process would be allowed in that circumstance) it would be a good sign that we don't want him anymore. Or perhaps as some have suggested, it's an indication he could go straight back onto the senior list.

Sorry for the long winded post, I'm hot and hungry. Dinner time

Post Thanks / Like

Not too sure if it's been posted anywhere, but along with Patty Rose, Dane Rampe also training with the Dogs:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/club_in...ectionID=54954

Post Thanks / Like

A bit more on Rampe,

Still chasing the AFL dream

By Tim Doutré

1st September 2009 11:05:53 AM

Purchase this photo from Star Photos

Top prospect … Williamstown Reserves player Dane Rampe received an invitation to the AFL state screening to be held later this month. 35568 Picture: RAY POLLANEN

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE elusive AFL dream may not be over for some quality VFL footballers with the announcement of the AFL State Screening invitees recently.

Williamstown sharp-shooter Patrick Rose and 2009 recruit Dane Rampe scored invitations, as did Werribee ball magnet Michael Barlow.

The three have had very different lead ups to the announcements which have the potential to shape their future careers. Rose, the eldest of the trio at 23, has had training sessions with AFL clubs in the past, including Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs but is yet to find his way on to an AFL list.

More here
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should definitely look at any decent tall defensive cover option.

Post Thanks / Like

Jake is interesting.

Played CHF for Vic Metro at u16 level and contributed well at TAC Cup level with Western after returning from the carnival - probably set expectations pretty high for his first full year of u18 footy.

That first year the Jets were TERRIBLE. They managed to lose round 1 to Eastern after being 6 goals up with 15 minutes to play, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory again in round 2 before being belted in round 3...and on and on it went in a season that yielded only 3 wins. Jake started the year at CHF and was OK but never really dominated, spent a couple of weeks in the midfield and then settled at full-back where he became a very, very good player.

Some comments in this thread are not reflective of the kid I knew though - without trying to overstate things, he is one of the most hard-working, committed, likable kids I have ever been involved with. In a season that was a real struggle he never complained, never tried to deflect blame onto anyone else and in a bottom side as a 17 year old (bottom aged player) he basically took over the leadership of the playing group and was a key factor in getting even those three wins.

All of that said, it was a bit of a surprise when he was drafted - he had another year of TAC Cup footy ahead of him and whilst his year had been solid it hadn't really been outstanding (though as I said he played a few excellent games at full-back). To me, full-back was really his spot where he was best suited - he has sub 3.0 sec 20m speed which was helpful in defending the opposition and good kicking skills off both sides...no worries there. I was always surprised that Carlton persisted with him at half-forward - given his physical attributes (explosive rather than endurance) his spot was the goal square in either attack or defence. To me, he lacked that 'extra' something you need to be a successful ff at AFL level but he had everything required to be a good full back.

I am biased because I really like the kid and would love to see him make it. That said, I am pretty certain that anyone who spends 5mins with him would like him and anyone who watches him train will confirm he is a really hard worker...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that mjp, very informative post. Sounds like the perfect rookie list player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alexxx View Post
    Went to primary/high school with this guy was in the same grade 5/6 class a year below me.

Didn't surprise me he made it to AFL level he was always one of the best in school footy.

Will be quite funny if we got him and I ended up cheering him on. I think his grandfather was referred to as Butch Edwards in his day..
    Yeah im in the same boat, went to High school with him and played in junior level with him. Great Guy, hope he does well, Be nice to be cheering for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Some great insight there mjp, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

On a related 'discard trying to kick start a career' note - former nearly-Bulldog Life Member Wayde Skipper is training with Hawthorn.

Also, Guy O'Keefe's name isn't on the latest 'Permission to Train' list.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsartic...5/default.aspx
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Edwards will hopefully be energised by the move, and by the red, white and blue, and the fact that it might be his last shot at the top

If Lake or Morris or Williams gets injured its between Edwards and Mulligan and Tiller to cover the key defensive posts

Our depth isnt that great back there considering Williams' injury history...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dog House View Post

If Lake or Morris or Williams gets injured its between Edwards and Mulligan and Tiller to cover the key defensive posts

Our depth isnt that great back there considering Williams' injury history...
    Wash your mouth out with soap... We have Boumann who is the answer to all our defensive problems.

(He may or may not be the answer, but a few posters on this site will burst with pride when he plays his first game)

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he makes it. I like the romance associated with him being a 4th generation bulldog player.