Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top 5 Moments of Season 2009

I agree with most of the others that have been mentioned already ... the only one I would add would be the discovery of Picken as a 'hard nut' tagger
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I agree with most of the others that have been mentioned already ... the only one I would add would be the discovery of Picken as a 'hard nut' tagger
    Deffinatly, his goal earlier this year V Collingwood in the last quarter was crutial and a ripper!

Post Thanks / Like

5. I'm with TCD on Lake re-signing, given how long we all dwelled on it.
    4. Getting into 3rd spot in Round 22.
    3. Jarrod Harbrow's run down the wing in the Semi against Brisbane to set up Higgins' goal. My dad and I were out of our seats applauding.
    2. Speaking of Higgins, his mark with 20 seconds to go against Geelong. Capped of a wonderful night.
    1. The Hawthorn game. Never have I seen a more faultless half of football.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Beating Geelong. Probably the best standard game that I've been to, just the excitement when we got in front. I'm usually pretty reserved, and was there by myself, but I was up and about punching the air that night.

2. Beating Adelaide at AAMI. Another great win, always good to beat them over here - plus I won the Crows Club Chairman's raffle in the superbox, and collected my prize from McKernan wearing my Dogs cap. Lovely.

3. The game against Collingwood - watched with a Collingwood supporting mate, and after they just pipped us last time, it was a great win.

4. Griff dancing through about 10 St Kilda players in the final - beautiful.

5. The Sydney game. Had a Saturday session for a course that I undertook this year, and left early to get to a mates house and watch the game on Fox. Great choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about it, and came up with 6 + 1 special mention. In reverse order, then:

6. Brennan Stack running down a Freo defender in Johnno's record breaking game. Then Josh Hill doing exactly the same thing 5 minutes later.

5. Cooney on our defensive wing dancing backwards with the ball out of a gaggle of Magpies in Round 22.

4. Gary Ablett Jr. getting tackled (can't remember by whom -- I think it was Hahn?) and called for holding the ball (finally!) in his defensive 50.

3. Murph's laser-guided pass to Hill in the goalsquare. Unbelievable.

2. Dale Morris falling backwards and using his foot to spoil a certain chest mark to Riewoldt in the final quarter of the Prelim. That passage of play exemplified everything about the man in a nutshell. Legend.

1. Callan Ward's coming of age in the 4th quarter vs. Geelong, completely outplaying Joel Selwood and sparking a memorable comeback, and confirming his potential as a Dogs superstar in the making. Spine-tingling stuff.

Of course, special mention goes to Aker vs. Brisbane. 'Nuff said!

---

ps. I generally went for moments, not performances -- but Johnno in the Prelim was awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I thought about it, and came up with 6 + 1 special mention. In reverse order, then:

6. Brennan Stack running down a Freo defender in Johnno's record breaking game. Then Josh Hill doing exactly the same thing 5 minutes later.

5. Cooney on our defensive wing dancing backwards with the ball out of a gaggle of Magpies in Round 22.

4. Gary Ablett Jr. getting tackled (can't remember by whom -- I think it was Hahn?) and called for holding the ball (finally!) in his defensive 50.

3. Murph's laser-guided pass to Hill in the goalsquare. Unbelievable.

2. Dale Morris falling backwards and using his foot to spoil a certain chest mark to Riewoldt in the final quarter of the Prelim. That passage of play exemplified everything about the man in a nutshell. Legend.

1. Callan Ward's coming of age in the 4th quarter vs. Geelong, completely outplaying Joel Selwood and sparking a memorable comeback, and confirming his potential as a Dogs superstar in the making. Spine-tingling stuff.

Of course, special mention goes to Aker vs. Brisbane. 'Nuff said!
    Haha I loved that - it was like the commercial where he baulks the bull! Except it was a fleet of Collingwood players, loved the way he sprawled back through them duscking a weaving.

Post Thanks / Like

1. Jarrad Harbrow's run and goal v Brisbane.
    2. The way the dogs supporters yelled, cheered and BELIEVED in the PF vs St Kilda. For 15 minutes of that last quarter, you could just taste a premiership, and we really lifted the players when they needed it.
    3. Ward and Liam picken brutally sandwiching McGrath in Brisbane final.
    4. Ward marking, without any idea of what was coming at him, in the collingwood first match when we were making a comeback (Q4).. He buttered up and did it again at a critical point in our win v Geelong. This kid is fantastic.
    5. Jarrad Harbrow not flinching when Jonathan Brown bore down on him.

Honourable mentions:

Matt Boyd's fantastic year.
    Jono;s lion hearted display in St K final. Did that guy want to win, or what.
    Learning Dale played his heart out against Riewoldt with a broken bone in his leg.

Thanks Dogs for a great year.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, each year, after some inevitable form of disappointment, i ask myself quietly, why do i fork out a couple of grand for the family to see the footy each year, only to have our hearts ripped out (which i inevitably ignore as i always hand over my hard earned dosh)

BUT, i have to say thinking of all these moments, the sheer elation for those few moments, the little things like turning around to watch The brisbane lions coaching staff's face when aker kicked that goal, the moment at half time against hawthorn, when i realised exactly how far in front we were against the reigning premiers. etc etc

Thats why i love it, thats why i pay god knows how much money each year, and although i've never been to paradise, these moments are pretty bloody close, even if only for a fleeting period of time.

One day its going to happen, i know it, and when it does, my god.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    You know, each year, after some inevitable form of disappointment, i ask myself quietly, why do i fork out a couple of grand for the family to see the footy each year, only to have our hearts ripped out (which i inevitably ignore as i always hand over my hard earned dosh)

BUT, i have to say thinking of all these moments, the sheer elation for those few moments, the little things like turning around to watch The brisbane lions coaching staff's face when aker kicked that goal, the moment at half time against hawthorn, when i realised exactly how far in front we were against the reigning premiers. etc etc

Thats why i love it, thats why i pay god knows how much money each year, and although i've never been to paradise, these moments are pretty bloody close, even if only for a fleeting period of time.

One day its going to happen, i know it, and when it does, my god.
    Well said ReLoad. I'm starting to tear up a bit here.

Post Thanks / Like

Aker's left foot goal from the boundary (was it in Brisbane or Darwin) can't remember.

Smashing the Hawks

The emergence of J. Harbrow

The emergence of Callan Ward

The Preliminary Final (the game itself not the result obviously)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm re-watching the Dogs vs Hawks demolition and one of my favourite moments (in what was one of my favourite games ever) was when Higgins owned Campbell Brown, out muscling him deep in the forward line and taking a one handed grab with just a hint of arrogance.

Made even better by Brown cracking the ***** afterward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Here are my favourite parts of 2009

1. Being in the crowd for the prelim, one of the most exciting and heart wrenching experiences of my life so far
    2. Aker's amazing goal against Brisbane, followed by a great win that lead to a great end to the season
    3. Watching Callan Ward all year
    4. Watching Lake play, outrun and outmark his opponent, especially second half of the season
    5. Watching Riewoldt cry

Special mention goes to Fev getting kicked out of Carlton, never thought I'd see the day that happened!

Post Thanks / Like

* The first match v Geelong - though we lost it showed we could match it with and beat the top team

* Similar for the Saints final plus kudos to the crowd for their noisy enthusiasm

* Winning the final v Brisbane

* Smashing the Hawks - love one sided games in our favour

* Beating Pies to get 3rd spot

Post Thanks / Like

1. Ward
    2. Reid (I'm on the man-love wagon here, big time!)
    3. Harbrow
    4. Lake
    5. Higgins

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    1. Ward
    2. Reid (I'm on the man-love wagon here, big time!)
    3. Harbrow
    4. Lake
    5. Higgins
    Great moments.