Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs lap up Brad Johnson's plea

* Matt Windley
    * November 18, 2009 12:00AM

BRAD Johnson has urged his Western Bulldogs teammates to make the best of their opportunities next year in what could be his last chance to win a premiership.

With the careers of experienced trio Johnson, Jason Akermanis and Nathan Eagleton nearing the end, 2010 may be the last chance for this playing group to achieve the ultimate success together.

Form and fitness will dictate whether Johnson, 33, who is due to play his 350th game in Round 1, will hang up his boots after next season.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs lap up Brad Johnson's plea

Come on Doggies - Do it for Johnno, do it for Aker, do it for Eggy, but most of all do it for your supporters!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Come on Doggies - Do it for Johnno, do it for Aker, do it for Eggy, but most of all do it for your supporters!!!!
    Just DO it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Well said. Dont forget the past players! CARN DOGS!!!

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly what i'm worried about!
    Holding on to old guys in order to win a premiership. How often do we hear this at the start of a season, and at the end of the season it's all about rebuilding.

Could it be that be keeping eagle and aker, johnson and now hall, we haven't given opportunities to the younger players in order to fill the gap?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    That's exactly what i'm worried about!
    Holding on to old guys in order to win a premiership. How often do we hear this at the start of a season, and at the end of the season it's all about rebuilding.

Could it be that be keeping eagle and aker, johnson and now hall, we haven't given opportunities to the younger players in order to fill the gap?
    That could possibly be the case further down the track but then again Brisbane, admittedly a champion team, won the 2003 premiership with 6 players over 30. So age is irrelevant if we want to obtain immediate success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    It's a valid point and a good one. We really need to ensure our older guys are fresh for September, so extensive rest during the season should be on the agenda, and thus so should some opportunities for the kids.

Good form needs to be rewarded, and poor form punished more than ever, given the shape of our list and the number of players who 'should' be getting senior game time at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    It's a valid point and a good one. We really need to ensure our older guys are fresh for September, so extensive rest during the season should be on the agenda, and thus so should some opportunities for the kids.

Good form needs to be rewarded, and poor form punished more than ever, given the shape of our list and the number of players who 'should' be getting senior game time at this stage.
    It's a long time ago now, but Barassi when he coached North to its second flag seldom played many of his star performers during the season.

I think we planned to do that in 2009 but we didn't play well enough early and were in catch up mode unable to play other than the available A team.

It will really be the test of how the list has matured, will we be able to manage a smooth and planned transition or will it be out with the old and in with the new in 2011?
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    It's a long time ago now, but Barassi when he coached North to its second flag seldom played many of his star performers during the season.

I think we planned to do that in 2009 but we didn't play well enough early and were in catch up mode unable to play other than the available A team.

It will really be the test of how the list has matured, will we be able to manage a smooth and planned transition or will it be out with the old and in with the new in 2011?
    I know it's pessimistic, but doing the 'crystal ball' into 2011 worries me... unless a handful of players make big leaps in 2010, I reckon we're gonna find it tough going, losing (in all likelihood) Johnno, Aker and Eagle in one hit, and having Bazza and Huddo that much older.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that Hahn would also be struggling by this stage, understandably he is not as old as the others but his style of game will take a toll on his body and he will deteriorate quickly. Let's also not forget the Gold Coast who will have access to our uncontracted players...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I know it's pessimistic, but doing the 'crystal ball' into 2011 worries me... unless a handful of players make big leaps in 2010, I reckon we're gonna find it tough going, losing (in all likelihood) Johnno, Aker and Eagle in one hit, and having Bazza and Huddo that much older.
    I don't disagree with you, but if we win next years flag it won't matter.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I would think that Hahn would also be struggling by this stage, understandably he is not as old as the others but his style of game will take a toll on his body and he will deteriorate quickly. Let's also not forget the Gold Coast who will have access to our uncontracted players...
    God you're right... now I feel worse!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    I'm not trying to be pessimistic as I am certainly looking forward to next season as I believe we have a fantastic opportunity however I would have loved for us to have had one eye on sustained success as opposed to setting ourselves up for one big crack at it next year. By this I mean biting the bullet and letting Eagleton go, not because he isn't in our best 22 but because it will leave less of a hole when we lose another 1 or 2 the following season. I believe we have a good enough list to last beyond this year provided we balance it right, time will tell.

I know people say they won't care provided we win a flag but it will be those same people asking the question down the track why we were so short sighted in our planning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Not if we die then and there, but even IF we won it, I'd like to back up the following year and be successful, more than just once. Would make for an ordinary year of footy the next year, if we focus wholly on 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Not if we die then and there, but even IF we won it, I'd like to back up the following year and be successful, more than just once. Would make for an ordinary year of footy the next year, if we focus wholly on 2010.
    I not so worried, the dice have been rolled in terms of available players for next season minus one or two backups that might come in via the main draft or the rookie extravaganza.

Yes it will be a defining season in several ways and the last for some, but not all of the "veterans". They won't all go at once unless injury catches up unexpectedly, and if we don't muck up the early games there should be opportunities to manage the transition by grooming successors and managing the demands on the older brigade.

If we had what appeared to be a short list talent wise I'd be more worried and while there is no guarantee that success will continue there is nothing to suggest that Rocket can't get the best out of people or that the culture of the club is fragile. In fact there will be enough of those with hard bodies and minds for some time to come.

If we could manage the loss of Grant, West and Smith and less significant but important contributors then we should have some confidence in the seasons immediately after next.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler