Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs sniffing around ex-Lion Rhan Hooper

Bulldogs sniffing around ex-Lion Rhan Hooper
    By Scott Gullan

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225800721502

Quite an interesting development. Whilst on paper Hooper represents a low-cost opportunity to fill a glaring area of weakness for us, alarm bells are ringing loud and clear. On top of the numerous indiscretions during his time in Brisbane, to have missed a training session this current pre-season with Richmond, for a bloke on the bones of his arse AFL career wise, is a cardinal sin in my books.

He also gets precious little of the football when he isn't on song (which is almost every 2nd week). His 2 finals this season were appalling efforts from your small forward, with Brisbane virtually playing a man short as a result. We also have the likes of Stack coming through and ready to start impacting at senior level in a similar role. On the positive side, Hooper does have undeniable talent and is young enough to still make an impact at this level if he commits himself 100% to the cause. I'm personally quite skeptical about Hooper but it would be good to hear everybody else's thoughts.
    Last edited by Sedat; 20-11-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs sniffing around ex-Lion Rhan Hooper

No.

No no, no no no no, no no, no no, no.

He is not good enough to justify selecting him and the off-field issues he brings with him. As simple as that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

We have played Dale Morris on Rhan Hooper in the past, so I am not surprised to hear Eade is interested in him.

I am actually up for it because of the small price and glad to hear we are at least talking to him. We would be giving up the last spot spot on our list in a weak draft and can offer him a one-year minimum wage deal. The talent pool is going to be reduced by 6-7% twice over the next 2 years as well. I really rate his talent highly and see his inability do anything other than the flashy stuff really tied into his poor attitude. Of course his attitude is a risk but that's why he comes so dirt cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is to be believed, we really have extended our search range this pre-season and players with troubled pasts have been in the mix more than any other season that I can remember. Being linked to Hall, Thorp (even after a DH rating) and now Hooper is certainly a change from seasons gone by.

At the same time we said goodbye to a couple of guys with apparent questionable work ethic and commitment.

Hooper has talent but as Sedat pointed out, consistency isn't a strong point so based on that I'd prefer not to have him at the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Being linked to Hall, Thorp (even after a DH rating) and now Hooper is certainly a change from seasons gone by.

At the same time we said goodbye to a couple of guys with apparent questionable work ethic and commitment.
    Good point, we got rid of two for those reasons, we don't need to bring in someone with the same issues.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Wing_Nut Guest

Worth the risk in my opinion. Upside to him is pretty large, whilst the negatives would be what? Sure he has an attitude problem but I don't think that have a significant impact on other players. And as stated the draft this year is weak. Get him on board!

Post Thanks / Like

If the Hawks and Tigers and interested, what pick would we use?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wing_Nut View Post
    whilst the negatives would be what? Sure he has an attitude problem but I don't think that have a significant impact on other players. And as stated the draft this year is weak. Get him on board!
    He got sick of working hard a year after debuting, fines and suspensions from the Lions for his unprofessional approach (60 day suspension and a $40,000 fine says it was serious), missed a training session w/Richmond AFTER Brisvegas gave him the arse... isn't that enough negatives?

We're nudging the salary cap as it is, I wouldn't use any remaining coin on a guy who may or may not actually come to training. And I'm not certain the kids in the side need ANOTHER slack arse to carry... Minimum wage or not, it's not worth it, IMO.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice profile pic Wing Nut... and i think you speak wise words ont he Hooper front too!

Post Thanks / Like

He apparently missed a training session with Richmond i think it was yesterday, listening to KB's show, why he missed it?, cos he forgot!

Let's think about it for a sec, trying to impress a team to get another shot at it, and he forgets to rock up to training.................

Says it all really, pass.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks could swoop and draft disgruntled Hooper

Jake Niall | November 19, 2009

HAWTHORN is considering taking the punt on former Brisbane Lion Rhan Hooper, with the 2008 premier contemplating selecting him in next week's national draft.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Already voiced my opinion of Hooper in previous threads, but in reality he's only holding back Stack. I'd much rather put our faith in a guy we've been developing who has just as much talent and without the attitude problems. Next year is a big year for Stacky - I hope he's given some sort of chance.

Wing_Nut Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    He got sick of working hard a year after debuting, fines and suspensions from the Lions for his unprofessional approach (60 day suspension and a $40,000 fine says it was serious), missed a training session w/Richmond AFTER Brisvegas gave him the arse... isn't that enough negatives?

We're nudging the salary cap as it is, I wouldn't use any remaining coin on a guy who may or may not actually come to training. And I'm not certain the kids in the side need ANOTHER slack arse to carry... Minimum wage or not, it's not worth it, IMO.
    Yeah but in the end if he doesn't perform or he plays up he's only taking the spot of, what would hopefully be, a later round draft pick. And since there's risk in drafting a kid in a weak draft, I'd go for Hooper. He's got some runs on the board at least and he is a talent.

My point was moreso that he wouldn't affect the rest of the group if he does play up. As I said, with his potential upside I think he's worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    We have played Dale Morris on Rhan Hooper in the past, so I am not surprised to hear Eade is interested in him.

I am actually up for it because of the small price and glad to hear we are at least talking to him. We would be giving up the last spot spot on our list in a weak draft and can offer him a one-year minimum wage deal. The talent pool is going to be reduced by 6-7% twice over the next 2 years as well. I really rate his talent highly and see his inability do anything other than the flashy stuff really tied into his poor attitude. Of course his attitude is a risk but that's why he comes so dirt cheap.
    ^^^^What Rocco said.

He also has good defensive pressure when he doesn't have the ball. I wouldn't be disappointed if he joins our club.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't touch him if he was free, he lacks commitment and if he keeps with his current attitude which young kid is he going to drag with him. Yes he's got talent and maybe half his problem is that he knows it, I say if the Hawks want him let them have him.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...