Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs sniffing around ex-Lion Rhan Hooper

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    To be brutally honest I think our strong club culture has slipped over the last two seasons. It could just be the sign of the times but we seem to have more than our share of Brad Murphy types than I can ever recall. I don't mind a bit of strut and confidence in young players but in my opinion we already have enough peacocks and Bogans without needing to add more high maintenance types.
    I'm actually kind of happy with this.

Everytime we've had a list of nice guys we've been fairly uncompetitive. Every Premiership team of the last decade has had a dickhead component to it, and to count out a guy who has obvious talent, and fills an obvious list need, would be folly without at least talking to him. Rocket would be derelict in his duties as a coach if he didn't even sound the guy out.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Already voiced my opinion of Hooper in previous threads, but in reality he's only holding back Stack. I'd much rather put our faith in a guy we've been developing who has just as much talent and without the attitude problems. Next year is a big year for Stacky - I hope he's given some sort of chance.
    Hooper has shown enough to suggest he is more advanced than Stack at this stage. With time running out for Johnson, Akermanis and Eagleton beyond 2010 and an injury riddled Robert Murphy we are going to need to find more goalkickers.The draft advantages given to the new Gold Coast team next year will result in a skinny draft for teams like the Bulldogs. Iwould think that our list management people would have taken these factors into account before deciding Rian Hooper was worth the risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    Hooper has shown enough to suggest he is more advanced than Stack at this stage. With time running out for Johnson, Akermanis and Eagleton beyond 2010 and an injury riddled Robert Murphy we are going to need to find more goalkickers.The draft advantages given to the new Gold Coast team next year will result in a skinny draft for teams like the Bulldogs. Iwould think that our list management people would have taken these factors into account before deciding Rian Hooper was worth the risk.
    I agree - but why apply that to a very ordinary footballer?

Hooper doesn't have enormous talent like so many here believe. His skills are poor and he simply can't find the footy. Every player has a couple of games per year they stand out. It doesn't make them quality. There's a reason he only played 6 or 7 games this season. He's not good enough - that's without taking into account his attitude problems and inconsistency.

I'm amazed that anyone can be sucked in by his annual 1-2 games a year.

The draft restrictions etc. shouldn't really play too much of a factor. At the end of the day, I want quality footballers on the list with a work ethic. Hooper has neither. He's quick - that's it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - but why apply that to a very ordinary footballer?

Hooper doesn't have enormous talent like so many here believe. His skills are poor and he simply can't find the footy. Every player has a couple of games per year they stand out. It doesn't make them quality. There's a reason he only played 6 or 7 games this season. He's not good enough - that's without taking into account his attitude problems and inconsistency.

I'm amazed that anyone can be sucked in by his annual 1-2 games a year.

The draft restrictions etc. shouldn't really play too much of a factor. At the end of the day, I want quality footballers on the list with a work ethic. Hooper has neither. He's quick - that's it.
    Right on the money there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an absolute sceptic about the sincerity of this move; but having been wrong before I'll believe it when I see it... but what I can't see Rocket on his bike to Rhan's place when he forgets to turn up for a game. If Guy O'K went predominantly for attitude reasons this appears inconsistent with that decision.

I remain committed to giving kids with a problem or two a few chances, but there's nothing to show that he is improving. It doesn't make him a bad person, just puts a huge question mark about his reliability. and there's a point at which that becomes a critical factor in our quest for a flag.

Methinks somebody is using the media very well. Two candidates come to mind. I'm not sure if this is being used by Rhan's managers to keep his name in the public eye; we're the second club in a couple of days, or if it's being used by the club to keep a continuing media profile.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

On another point, how many last positions on the list can a club have?

I was taught a very simple Maths at school there was only one last place, but I now wonder if some posters on this sight haven't created a new mathematics. Their argument to each and every potentially problematic recruitment is to go for the last posi on the list justification.

Just so as I know for future reference, does the last place for such cases ever fill or can there be a multitude of last places on the list?
    Last edited by alwaysadog; 21-11-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    If Rose was to be picked he would be relying on his skills and ability which I still have doubts as to whether he can make the jump to AFL.
    Will Rose offer more than Hooper?

Post Thanks / Like

There is a comment on the Age today that hoses down our interest in Hooper a bit.

The Bulldogs reportedly have some interest in Hooper but that is understood to be tepid at best.

Post Thanks / Like

Already voiced my opinion of Hooper in previous threads, but in reality he's only holding back Stack. I'd much rather put our faith in a guy we've been developing who has just as much talent and without the attitude problems. Next year is a big year for Stacky - I hope he's given some sort of chance.
    Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Will Rose offer more than Hooper?
    I haven't seen as many games as the other guys, but he seems more of a leading mid-sized forward than a crumber.
    A pure crumber is something we don't really have on our list, unless Rocket thinks Stack could become one and Stack starts improving his consistency / has a massive pre-season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

The Scray Guest

Why are the dogs having a punt on another small forward? Most people are right there is Hill & Stack plus others who will be there for a while Murphy, Guido, Hahn etc. plus midfielders going forward ie. Higgins & Coons. What about a punt on a young Key Forward. If Jake Edwards is training at the club give him a go i say! Hall will only be there for 2 years...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Scray View Post
    Why are the dogs having a punt on another small forward? Most people are right there is Hill & Stack plus others who will be there for a while Murphy, Guido, Hahn etc. plus midfielders going forward ie. Higgins & Coons. What about a punt on a young Key Forward. If Jake Edwards is training at the club give him a go i say! Hall will only be there for 2 years...
    Whether you agree with going for Rhan Hooper or not, I think there is definitely room for a small forward to be bough into the club. Stack, Hill, Hahn and Murphy are different types of medium forwards. Guido is a HF who is a link between the midfield and effectively disposing the ball forward. Higgins is more of a HF than typical small forward like Hooper. Cooney is only a part time forward.

If we don't get Hooper or Lynch, there is definitely a spot to recruit a small forward.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer we concentrate on our indigenous boys we already have on the forward line in Hill and Stack. Teach them to apply defensive pressure. We know Hill has lacked that in the past, but his attitude in general can't be questioned. Stacky has the body now to have a similar physique to Hooper in a couple of seasons.

Hooper is trouble, he's shown that in the past with his noted indiscretions. We've delisted O'Keefe who lacked discipline, and now they're (reportedly) looking at Hooper, who's missed a training session with Richmond during the "test the waters" period. Got to be joking.

Post Thanks / Like

PHEW!

He's the Hawks problem now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    PHEW!

He's the Hawks problem now.
    With their already contemptible culture down there (Hodge and Sewell notwithstanding), a lazy lairy 'show-up-when-I-feel-like-it' type is a gleeful addition to their attempt at continual deterioration into anonymous mediocrity.

Unsociable football? More like egomaniacal faux-socialite pill-popping attention-quaffing ill-disciplined underachievers. I know many are tipping them to get back into the top 4 next season but I just can't see it -- the 'Buddy' factor is already receding with clubs developing precisely the type of backline/backmen to negate it (much like Kouta's massive influence over a year and a half dissipated after every other team developed tall mobile midfielders, and Franklin himself isn't exactly Mr.Consistency -- rumour is that he showed up to pre-season training in less-than-ideal shape), they are unable to develop a meaningful squad into the future with no one willing to trade equitably with them due to their dickheadedness, and any advantage they got from their 'zone' has equalised, being no longer innovative nor competition leading.

7th - 8th at best.