Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rodney Eade is confident veteran Brad Johnson can play two more seasons

Rodney Eade is confident veteran Brad Johnson can play two more seasons

Jon Ralph November 23, 2009

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade says he expects Brad Johnson to play for at least two seasons, and hopes Barry Hall's arrival prolongs his captain's career.

Eade is more upbeat than defender Dale Morris, who last week exhorted the Dogs to win next year's premiership in what might be Johnson's last year.

He said Johnson's exceptional season, in which he finished fourth in the best-and-fairest and nearly hauled the Dogs into a Grand Final, showed he had plenty of run in his legs.

Eade also said:

Full article
    WOOF Member 422

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade is confident veteran Brad Johnson can play two more seasons

Go Johnno!

Post Thanks / Like

He is awesome.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news.

I am a believer that our game retires champions too early (as much as I hate the cliche phrase and most people who use it) and that clubs severely overrate the last spot on their list.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent news - had to laugh this morning whilst walking back into my office a co-worker walked past me with a large stick (a makeshift prop supposedly made to look like a walking stick) and handed me a note saying hi, I can go on another 5 years signed Brad Johnson then on his back he had a post it note with Johnno's number...I was in hysterics watching him hobble back into his office with that damn stick. That's what you get at my work, total comedians all day long!

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, yes you'd have to pay that one BB.

I was just telling a friend yesterday that I think Brad will play two more years, although once we win the 2010 flag Johnno might decide to call it quits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Haha, yes you'd have to pay that one BB.

I was just telling a friend yesterday that I think Brad will play two more years, although once we win the 2010 flag Johnno might decide to call it quits.
    Yes Griffen#16, definitely pay that one, was one of his better attempts.

Who knows with Johnno, he's been knocked from pillar to post, how often has he played injured and has had miraculous recoveries he just picks himself up and just continues to play.... all going well for him if we were to win the flag in 2010, I reckon he would seriously consider another year.

Post Thanks / Like

I wince when I read articles like this - call it superstition, call it what you will

AFL careers are over in the blink of an eye.

IMO ridiculous to be talking about Johnson playing in 2011 at this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    I wince when I read articles like this - call it superstition, call it what you will

AFL careers are over in the blink of an eye.

IMO ridiculous to be talking about Johnson playing in 2011 at this stage.
    Agreed. West and Richo are prime examples of how quickly a career can finish up.

There's a couple of things that concern me about this article;

* Johnson possibly playing even higher up the ground. He makes too many mistakes and isn't clean with the ball in midfield. He's far better playing instinctive footy up forward where he doesn't have to think or be as creative. I cringe every time I see Johnno running on the wing and especially down back. I love him, but he's not a midfielder anymore.

* This same time last year, we were talking about resting the likes of Johnson, Aker and Hudson throughout the season. It didn't happen, and it should've. Eagleton and Hahn could also be added to this mix too. IMHO we didn't manage the list very well last year as a number of players kept playing injured. I would much prefer to see niggles given a week to rest because if they aren't, often the injury is compounded. We should have enough depth to cover for this so hopefully the club sticks closer to its pre-season word as it's crucial to be fit and fresh in September.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    * This same time last year, we were talking about resting the likes of Johnson, Aker and Hudson throughout the season. It didn't happen, and it should've. Eagleton and Hahn could also be added to this mix too. IMHO we didn't manage the list very well last year as a number of players kept playing injured. I would much prefer to see niggles given a week to rest because if they aren't, often the injury is compounded. We should have enough depth to cover for this so hopefully the club sticks closer to its pre-season word as it's crucial to be fit and fresh in September.
    I've said this a couple of times over the past few years, and it's something we really need to do - tailor our program throughout the year so everyone is niggle free and peaking come finals.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to side with Dale Morris on this one... I just can't see Johnno going on beyond 2010, and I can't see that being best for the team.

On the issue of the Bulldogs not resting players this year - if, as Eade said in one of the articles posted in "Dog's Day", we had several players playing hurt this year (Coons, Murph, Cross etc), it kind of forced their hand in perhaps not resting players when they otherwise might've. Also, games that we should have comfortably won we either lost or just scraped in, so we didn't help the cause there.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Have to side with Dale Morris on this one... I just can't see Johnno going on beyond 2010, and I can't see that being best for the team.

Why isn't Johnson playing on in 2011 good for the team? Especially if Eagleton and Akermanis call it quits.
    In the other thread where the Eade interview is you were unsure how we would go without the older players.
    So do you think Eagleton and Akermanis should've retired this year and Johnson retired at end of 2010?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Boy oh boy do some people overrate the last spot on our list/22nd spot each week. It seems like most fans don't tolerate players over 30 unless they are a star. He was a deserving 4th in our best and fairest this season and I would be surprised if Johnno isn't clearly in our best 22 in 2011. I know there's the argument about him taking a youngsters spot but I think that is clearly outweighed by his positive influence and that we are thereabouts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Boy oh boy do some people overrate the last spot on our list/22nd spot each week. It seems like most fans don't tolerate players over 30 unless they are a star. I would be surprised if Johnno isn't clearly in our best 22 in 2011. I know there's the argument about him taking a youngsters spot but I think that is clearly outweighed by his positive influence and that we are thereabouts
    Rocco, you need a hot key that triggers a reply stating "people overrate the last spot on our list"
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.