Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rodney Eade is confident veteran Brad Johnson can play two more seasons

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Rocco, you need a hot key that triggers a reply stating "people overrate the last spot on our list"
    I sure do. It's my way of trying to be nice and not directly criticsing someone.

It really does seem to be that the average fan online would rather a 4th round pick than a player in our top 5-10 who is over 30. I know I am entering into copyright infringement but boy do we like kids who haven't done much but also haven't proven they are crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Why isn't Johnson playing on in 2011 good for the team? Especially if Eagleton and Akermanis call it quits.
    In the other thread where the Eade interview is you were unsure how we would go without the older players.
    So do you think Eagleton and Akermanis should've retired this year and Johnson retired at end of 2010?
    I'm just not convinced he can go for two more years, and everyone knows the story of players who play one season too many (the "bad for the team" bit!). It's just too far away, at his age, to make a call like that, I think. Play in 2010, see how he is faring, and then make a call - not now.

I still am unsure how we'll go with Aker, Eagle and Johnno gone. I think it's a massive hole in the team, and we'll find it very tough going unless some of the younger brigade make some big leaps. O'Keefe gone, Hill, Everitt and Grant not filling me with confidence, on that front

I think Aker made the right call to play on, I think he can make some very good contributions in 2010. Eagle not so sure - I'm a fan of his, but reckon he could've called it a day.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    It seems like most fans don't tolerate players over 30 unless they are a star. He was a deserving 4th in our best and fairest this season
    Yes, he certainly was.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I would be surprised if Johnno isn't clearly in our best 22 in 2011
    I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if he was.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I've said this a couple of times over the past few years, and it's something we really need to do - tailor our program throughout the year so everyone is niggle free and peaking come finals.
    I agree and I think the problem in 2009 was:

a) we played a lot of ordinary footy during the home and away season
    b) we were struggling and Eade was looking for a contract extension