Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Assessing the other clubs drafts

It may be a pointless exercise but who are the big winners from the Draft?

For the little I know about it Sydney look to have had the draft that might see them improve the most quickly

Gary Rohan, Lewis Jetta, and Trent Dennis-Lane will probably all be ready to go from R1 onwards and add far more leg speed to their team.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Assessing the other clubs drafts

If I was giving the 3, 2 and 1 votes it would be:

3) North Melbourne
    2) Sydney
    1) Geelong

I haven't acknowledged Melbourne only because they got a free hit.

Post Thanks / Like

3) Melbourne
    2) North Melbourne
    1) Port Adelaide

Post Thanks / Like

Melbourne
    North Melbourne
    Adelaide

Post Thanks / Like

Geelong would have to be pleased.

Based on the late mail, they got their man with their first pick, and getting Christiensen (given his improved conditioning since draft camp) in the late 30's, and getting Vardy, the best ruckman in the draft, at 42, are both absolute steals; so they'd get the three votes on the day for mine.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't this thread about 3 years too early? If the Burgatron and Big Footy predictions are the benchmark then the clubs are wasting a lot of money on talent spotters.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to go past Melbourne and Port but Sydney must be rapt to get a few good runners although Roos doesn't think Rohan will play senior football next year.
    I think North did OK as well

Post Thanks / Like

Port Adelaide and Melbourne both did pretty well with their clusters of early selections.

Sydney are certainly a standout, adding some good players early in Rohan and Jetta and managing to snare Reid, Sumner and Dennis-Lane.

Fremantle I think did fairly well, they went local mainly but seem to have got a good mix of player and some good value deeper into the draft.

North are the other team, obviously Cunnington, Bastinac and Black is a fair effort in the first 25 - but also a couple of selections that appear pretty solid later on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    North are the other team, obviously Cunnington, Bastinac and Black is a fair effort in the first 25 - but also a couple of selections that appear pretty solid later on.
    They probably lacked midfielders going into the draft and landed a couple of good ones that can play some senior football next year. Black gives them another key forward especially handy if Petrie moves to CHB. Robbie Tarrant and Black could become a good forward tandem for many years.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else in absolute shock at the way the Crows went about the Draft?

4 more KP players and another ruck prospect when they already have:

Bock
    Rutten
    Stevens
    Hentschel
    Maric
    Moran
    Sellar
    Griffin
    Tippett
    Walker
    McKernan
    Davis

It was already a huge list and quite a few of (the vast majority imo) look like making it at AFL level. Are they preparing for a heavy raid of their KP stocks by GC and WS or are they just searching for a team with 3 Pav's, and a couple of Franklin's and Bock's??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Anyone else in absolute shock at the way the Crows went about the Draft?

4 more KP players and another ruck prospect when they already have:

It was already a huge list and quite a few of (the vast majority imo) look like making it at AFL level. Are they preparing for a heavy raid of their KP stocks by GC and WS or are they just searching for a team with 3 Pav's, and a couple of Franklin's and Bock's??
    It was strange but my guess is that they are very confident with their emerging midfielders and have drafted the talls with a longer term vision. There is question marks on Hentschell, Moran, Sellar and Griffin so it's probably why they went with some talls. James Craig seems like a late pick bargain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It was strange but my guess is that they are very confident with their emerging midfielders and have drafted the talls with a longer term vision. There is question marks on Hentschell, Moran, Sellar and Griffin so it's probably why they went with some talls. James Craig seems like a late pick bargain.
    Can't disagree with your logic, so you are probably right. Rutten will probably be finished in a year or 2 with his withered body and quite likely a few won't make it - so some depth is not a bad thing.

I guess the other point to consider is the development of multiple talls on your list is probably better assisted by the Crows alignment with the SANFL - no issues trying to squeeze 5 developing talls into the same forward line like the Victorian clubs have to do.

Would the perceived trade value of talls also be a consideration?

But I will counter all that by saying Goodwin, McLeod and Edwards plus Doughty and Burton are getting on - I don't see an abundence of replacements for these guys waiting in the wings - but I guess they have a lot of faith in Sloane, Jacky, Martin and Petrenko and a few of those other guys.

Post Thanks / Like

The crows have a far greater capacity to carry ruckman and key position players on their list knowing they can play prominent roles at SANFL level, but it was interesting

I felt Sydney, North and Port would have been very pleased after the draft

Roos was interesting in todays age
    http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...1127-jwzn.html

Post Thanks / Like

It is an interesting article - but if Sydney don't get something out of this group of draftees then they wont play finals next year...improvement from the 2nd/3rd year players is fine but most teams that improve get a boost from at least one of their new boys.

In Sydney's case, I honestly believe that they can count on Jetta contributing from round one next year - if they are prepared to play him of course. Not much chance he will keep up with Kirk in the sand-dunes or whatever the quote was...but not much chance Kirk could outrun Jetta (speed and agility) on the SCG either.

He then goes on to point at Veszpremi, saying he is 'still finding his way'. Well, what would you expect with a player like Veszpremi who has one stand out skill - attack on the ball - that carried him through junior ranks. That skill is not so obvious at senior level when it is matched (and surpassed?) by other players...with bigger bodies who have been taught good tackling technique.

Dennis-Lane will kick goals at AFL level - and he will be a very difficult match-up. They will be counting on him. They will be counting on Jetta. He mentioned Kristian Thornton (elevated rookie) in the 'draft group' as well...well, given he has played some games and is in his 4th year at the club - well, he should be ready to go.

I believe Sydney nailed this draft and think they will be the real movers in 2010.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I believe Sydney nailed this draft and think they will be the real movers in 2010.
    They positioned themselves well in the trade period as well and had a good draft night. I'm not sure that they will be big movers next year but they probably won't slide too much.