Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Bulldogs to be cautious with recruits

* November 30, 2009 7:33PM

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade expects only one of his club's draftees to play in the AFL next season and it is unlikely to be their surprise first pick, Christian Howard.

Eade said it was putting a lot of expectation on teenagers to play senior football the year after they were drafted, which could mean Howard and fellow 18-year-old Jason Tutt will spend plenty of time in the VFL.

"Our side has been reasonably settled for a couple of years now and it will be tough to break in for every player," Eade said on Monday, sitting alongside his recruits.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs to be cautious with recruits

It's a bit surprising we'd draft a guy aged 23 and say we don't expect some senor footy from him.

Post Thanks / Like

Curiouser and curiouser.

Can anyone explain to me what we are doing? We just drafted two mature age guys yet aren't expecting them to play? I get Tutt and Howard not playing - that makes sense to me - surely both Markovic and Thorne are ready to go though?

I know I should just have faith - the coaching staff have shown they deserve it - but I am getting very confused about what we are doing right at the moment. We load up with Hall, keep Eagleton, Aker and Johnno...not changes on any of the other older crew except Welsh...no trades to speak of. Surprising draft picks including two mature agers who apparently aren't ready to play...

Wow - I cant wait for the rookie draft.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Curiouser and curiouser.

Can anyone explain to me what we are doing? We just drafted two mature age guys yet aren't expecting them to play? I get Tutt and Howard not playing - that makes sense to me - surely both Markovic and Thorne are ready to go though?

I know I should just have faith - the coaching staff have shown they deserve it - but I am getting very confused about what we are doing right at the moment. We load up with Hall, keep Eagleton, Aker and Johnno...not changes on any of the other older crew except Welsh...no trades to speak of. Surprising draft picks including two mature agers who apparently aren't ready to play...

Wow - I cant wait for the rookie draft.
    It's a little odd.

Markovic is probably only seen as back-up to Lake. As I said in a different thread, he lacks pace to apparently play outside of the square so he's limited to FB or perhaps FF. Raises the question why we didn't rookie him instead as you noted elsewhere mjp, but I suspect Hawthorn might've drafted him and so we jumped earlier.

Thorne's an interesting one. Hopefully he's given a chance. One of our recruiters linked his name to playing up in Darwin next year. In any case, we've never been a club to publically 'expect' our draftees to play the following year even if they appear ready.

If his form warrants, I think we'll see Thorne in senior action as I'd expect the group of Aker, Gia, Murph and possibly Hahn or Johnno to miss a couple of games. Opens up the door for Thorne if he can play and especially when we head up to Darwin. (See: Lynch a few years back)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Curiouser and curiouser.

Especially given the comments post draft that there would be "no limitations" on Thorne for this season. I took that to mean, 'we want him to play - if he can prove himself on the track and with his approach, we'll play him'.

Given how our list is at the moment though, there aren't going to be many opportunities unless we have quite a few injuries. We probably have 30 guys who all have strong cases and will want to be in the best 22.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Rocket is apprehensive about putting any expectations on these players.

I believe he has made this mistake before where he has talked up players like Jarrad Grant saying he expected him to playing 10 games last season, and after the first one it was very clear he was a long way off.

I'm guessing he is hoping Thorne will play some games, and Markovic will also play some, how many would be determined by injuries and his form.

Howard and Tutt will be at Williamstown and would be seen as future replacements for Eagle and Gilbee.

Our selections in the rookie draft will be interesting

I still think we need another ruckman, and Majak Daw would be my priority for the first rookie spot.

Second pick might go to an 18 small, perhaps one that has had injury or other issues that might be given a chance.

Patrick Rose or Dane Rampe, one or both will join from Williamstown.

Jake Edwards is another possibility as is Matthew Little in my opinion (now that the rookie criteria has changed)

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see any quote in that article from Rocket suggesting that Markovic will be the player that plays the most senior football next year. Whoever wrote the article has put two and two together and come up with five.

Post Thanks / Like

Markovic (22 y.o.) and Thorne (23 y.o.) are both relatively young and, if they are reasonable players, have 5, 6 or 7 year careers ahead of themselves at the Bulldogs. Why place expectations on them that they can immediately break into the senior team of a premiership favourite team? Eade is just trying to keep the pressure off them as they settle into the club but I'd expect he hopes both debut in 2010.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly LongWait. Unfortunately for them, we simply have to do what is best for us. They're well paid compared to other jobs for their services though. (although i'm half convinced we're giving them food vouchers considering our cap situation)

I guess it's said at the start of most seasons but our depth is ridiculously good for a team who hasn't sacrificed much to get it, and has been on the bad end of a few unlucky 1st rounders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    Why place expectations on them that they can immediately break into the senior team of a premiership favourite team?
    I don't think anyone is suggesting they should immediately displace others in the side, but on its merits, selecting older, mature recruits - you would hope that these types of players are selected for their ability to be ready to go from day dot.

It's not so much expectation, but why limit them and say we don't expect them to play? Most 22/23 year olds on AFL lists would want to at the very least be in the frame for selection - otherwise they would and should be delisted (as history would indicate). I would hope that the mature guys we selected want to play AFL footy this year, and will do everything possible to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting they should immediately displace others in the side, but on its merits, selecting older, mature recruits - you would hope that these types of players are selected for their ability to be ready to go from day dot.

It's not so much expectation, but why limit them and say we don't expect them to play? Most 22/23 year olds on AFL lists would want to at the very least be in the frame for selection - otherwise they would and should be delisted (as history would indicate). I would hope that the mature guys we selected want to play AFL footy this year, and will do everything possible to do so.
    I agree with all you have said Grif. I would have preferred Eade to not say he didn't expect them to play seniors, however this was still better than raising expectations and pressure needlessly on the draftees. I'm sure that Eade's real expectations will be spelled out to the players in crystal clear terms.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LongWait View Post
    Markovic (22 y.o.) and Thorne (23 y.o.) are both relatively young and, if they are reasonable players, have 5, 6 or 7 year careers ahead of themselves at the Bulldogs. Why place expectations on them that they can immediately break into the senior team of a premiership favourite team? Eade is just trying to keep the pressure off them as they settle into the club but I'd expect he hopes both debut in 2010.
    Markovic's selection is obviously as an insurance should anything happen to Lake or Williams. Given Williams injuries record we could well see Markovic's selection in the senior lineup, sooner than later. I would have thought though that Boumann would be in front of him, if he can maintain improvement. Thorne joins a list of similar types at the Bulldogs but must have shown enough to justify drafting.