Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Moments you won't forget

I thought this could raise some interesting discussion. Moments/matches that included other sides/players which you've never forgotten. I'll kick it off when Aker was with Brisbane.

Brisbane v Collingwood Grand Final in 2002. Close, wet game that really could have gone either way. Minutes left and only a few points in it. Up steps Jason Akermanis who was carrying an injury and had to dispose of the ball on his left side as much as possible all day. The ball comes in, Aker scoops it up cleanly and without hesitation manages to kick the ball almost directly over his head, left foot, for the match winning goal. An unbelievable piece of play from a man you simply could not stop for those few years.

Another was after Port Adelaide defeated Brisbane in the '04 Grand Final, Williams' sheer emotion by immitating the choking gesture with his tie. They had so much pressure put on them in those years after failing to perform in Finals for 2-3 years despite being the best H&A side. Lynch's brain explosion v Wakelin also features as a moment I probably won't forget.

Here's Aker's goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGWpGNHi6Q
    Last edited by The Bulldogs Bite; 03-12-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Youtube vid didn't work? I changed it to just providing the link.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moments you won't forget

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I thought this could raise some interesting discussion. Moments/matches that included other sides/players which you've never forgotten.
    There are other sides?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Great call TBB. I used to dislike Aker before that very moment, but when he broke a million filth supporter's hearts I took an instant liking to him

In addition to 2002, I also loved several moments in the 2003 GF, most of which involved the likes of Rhyce Shaw, Richard Cole and Shane Woewoful all imploding and coughing up possession to the Lions and gifting them easy goals. I watched the game with a bunch of filth-hating mates and we had a BBQ before the match started. The steaks did not go down very well at all; it felt like the last supper as we all thought a fit and healthy Collingwood were going to beat up on a battered and bruised Brisbane outfit. How wrong we were - it ended up being the most enjoyable game of football I've ever watched not involving the Bulldogs. Always a pleasure to see the filth embarrased and humiliated on national television.

Post Thanks / Like

My Dad was a Hawthorn supporter. I'll never forget watching the 1989 Grand Final with him. I hated it when Geelong went the bash in the first quarter, but will always remember the "walking wounded" - Brereton with concussion & broken ribs, Dipper with broken ribs & a punctured lung, Ayres & Platten with concussion. They were all so courageous and deserved to win it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are two for me a John Roberts screamer at the lakeside oval in my youth sensational grab and James Hird hugging the guy in the crowd just a great moment to show what footy can mean to us all
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    I think there are two for me a John Roberts screamer at the lakeside oval in my youth sensational grab and James Hird hugging the guy in the crowd just a great moment to show what footy can mean to us all

I can remember that mark-he took a fair few screamers in a couple of seasons for South.

My moment I wont forget is the '82 GF when Helen Damico steaked just after half time-I'd put my binoculars at half time and couldnt get the bloody things out quickly enough! I can remeber Dempsey and Peter Moore constantly wrestling each other to the ground in a final in the '70s, after half time I dont think one ball up or throw in was properly contested because they would just pull each other over and the ball would just hit the ground.

From a Footscray POV I will never forget the day Neil Sasche was paralised-the crowd just went so quiet it was eerie. Then there was the day at Whitten Oval against Geelong when the power went out and the siren wouldnt work. One of the timekeepers came running down the steps of the Gent stand ringing the old timekeepers bell but the umpire couldnt hear him. Tom Hafey was the Geelong coach and he had to go out onto the ground and tap the umpy on the back. Geez it was a funny sight-the umps about to bounce the ball when he feels someone tapping him on the back and turns around to find Tom Hafey standing there pointing at the timekeeper standing on the boundary furiously ringing this huge bell. The umpire looked at Hafey, then at the timekeeper then back at Hafey and shrugged his shoulders. Tommy T-shirt just rolled his eyes and held his hands up as if to say "I dont know what's going on either!"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

One memory that has stuck was Choco Royal's goodbye at Whitten Oval; he was on crutches stranded on 199 games, 299 goals and the crowd went mental giving him a cheer before the game (send-offs weren't as commonplace then). He tried as hard as he could to compose himself but his face was flooded, as he raised one of his crutches to the crowd.

Glen Coleman knocking out the pointpost was a classic - unlike Leigh Matthews' post-break (which was structural damage to me), Galazy just polaxed it completely from the base; the crowd parted like the red sea as it fell. Sticking the little league post in looked ridiculous and funny at the same time.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The 89 GF stands out for pure entertaining football and a bunch of memorable moments. Brereton's recovery from being cleaned up and goal in the first quarter was outstanding, Dipper punching on with Bruns and another Geelong player at the same time, Ablett's performance all up.

As far as single moments, I keep coming back to certain marks, Sean Smith's against Brisbane which I saw on TV and Alastair Lynch taking a grab over a pack for Fitzroy against
    North at a muddy MCG and a mark Nicky Winmar took for the Saints against Richmond at Moorabin which apparently wasn't caught on camera both of which I saw live. Winmar's mark I'm pretty sure was the same round as Silvagni's famous mark against Collingwood and I'm pretty sure crapped all over it, but as I said wasn't captured.
    Also Mick Conlan's goal in the wet at Waverly in the 86 finals to beat Essendon and knock them out of the finals.
    Those are the one's that immediately come to mind.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

The Beasley mark and goal to beat Collingwood in the last minute or so of the game..Jock Edmond pointing to his head and giving heaps to Gubby Allen.

Shaun Smiths screamer, mark of the century i think.

Johnnos goal on his 300th game to win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    One memory that has stuck was Choco Royal's goodbye at Whitten Oval; he was on crutches stranded on 199 games, 299 goals and the crowd went mental giving him a cheer before the game (send-offs weren't as commonplace then). He tried as hard as he could to compose himself but his face was flooded, as he raised one of his crutches to the crowd.

I can remember at selector's table on the thursday before when Choco walked (Limped) into the room and the whole crowd rose as one and applauded for what seemed like 10 minutes. Brian looked genuinly shocked at the acclamation and I remember thinking "Mate you are one of the best footballers I've seen, what's with the suprised look?"

Post Thanks / Like

Kollie's run around the player on the mark before goaling, had Terry Wheeler saying "If only he always thought like that." Not many better moments in football,

or what about Grantie's kick from the forward pocket to win the game against Essendon and beat them for the only time that season.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Kollie's run around the player on the mark before goaling, had Terry Wheeler saying "If only he always thought like that." Not many better moments in football,

or what about Grantie's kick from the forward pocket to win the game against Essendon and beat them for the only time that season.
    Both were pure magic, and great memories.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

- The seniors & reserves both drawing against North Melbourne at Arden Street.

- Neil Sasche breaking his neck.

- Winning our first game in 1980 against Fitzroy & Loveless kicking 8.

- Keeping Carlton goal less until the last minute.

- Seeing the Collingwood supporters filing out of the MCG during the last quarter as Sons of the West rang out.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Watching that, two things stand out - Leon Davis giving up possession falling over just over 50 out for Scott can kick it forward, and when the goal was signalled, a Collingwood fan slapping the fence in frustration (we've all been there...not in a GF of course)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    -Winning our first game in 1980 against Fitzroy & Loveless kicking 8.

That was a great day!