Round 1 2010 Team

B: Harbrow Lake Gilbee
    HB: Hargrave Williams Morris
    C: Griffen Cross Higgins
    HF: Hahn Murphy Hill
    F: Johnson Hall Aker

Ruck/Foll: Hudson Boyd Cooney

INT: Guido, Minson, Ward, Eagleton

Williams will have Everitt, Tiller, Addison and Callan breathing down his neck if he gets injured or is in poor form. Morris filled the CHB position while Williams was injured and can do so again.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2010 Team

Fairly similar - but Picken would be in mine.

B: Harbrow; Lake; Morris
    HB: Hargrave; Williams: Gilbee
    C: Picken; Boyd; Cross
    HF: Higgins; Murphy; Johnson
    F: Hahn; Hall; Akermanis
    R: Hudson; Cooney; Griffen
    Int: Giansiracusa; Ward; Eagleton; Minson
    Emerg: Hill; Everitt; Callan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DexterT View Post
    B: Harbrow Lake Gilbee
    HB: Hargrave Williams Morris
    C: Griffen Cross Higgins
    HF: Hahn Murphy Hill

Ruck/Foll: Hudson Boyd Cooney

INT: Guido, Minson, Ward, Eagleton

Williams will have Everitt, Tiller, Addison and Callan breathing down his neck if he gets injured or is in poor form. Morris filled the CHB position while Williams was injured and can do so again.
    That looks like our most experienced team on paper, although so many variables will most likely come into play come round one, like pre season form, injuries, players underdone with a lack of pre season etc etc.

From that side, Hill & Eagleton look most vunerable for different reasons, with those players you mentioned next in line, will be interesting to see how Marcovic & Throne go in the pre season games coming into the club as ready made mature types.

No love for Picken, Dex? thats a bit harsh.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot

I nearly forgot Hill and Morris!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post

No love for Picken, Dex? thats a bit harsh.

That's what my first impression is as well. Pick Picken I say!

I'll put my side up a bit later. Or I'll just cut and paste Sockeye's team if he gets to it before me...
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

B: Harbrow Lake Callan
    HB: Hargrave Morris Gilbee
    C: Griffen Boyd Eagleton
    HF: Hahn Murphy Higgins

Ruck/Foll: Hudson Cross Cooney

INT: Minson, Ward, Gia, Picken

Not convinced Williams (who I am a big fan of) will be there - only change from the prelim side for me is Hall for the retired Welsh.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot

We can understand your mind playing a few games after the weekend you just had.

Post Thanks / Like

Why whatever could you mean?

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot

Hill is no certainty to be in the R1 side next year. He finished the year out of the 22 and if the reports of his current conditioning are right he might be even further away from a spot in the team now than he was then. Thorne may train the house down and take his spot.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting that everybody is picking Hall out of position (vs his career to date).

Is it because the Swans got it wrong or because we don't have an alternative FF?

IIRC, last season when the wheels fell off us eg v West Coast things broke down on the HF line. Leaving Hall at FF means we miss on the benefits of his pretty good mobility.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Interesting that everybody is picking Hall out of position (vs his career to date).

Is it because the Swans got it wrong or because we don't have an alternative FF?

IIRC, last season when the wheels fell off us eg v West Coast things broke down on the HF line. Leaving Hall at FF means we miss on the benefits of his pretty good mobility.
    Maybe because CHF doesn't really exist anymore?

I take your point though - Hall did his best work leading up the ground, however he may be forced a little closer to goal which will work better with our set-up
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really agree that Hall has been a CHF. Certainly not the last few years. Full forwards get much further up the ground these days.

Put it this way. Hall has always lined up inside the 50 - not on the line of the square. Murphy will almost certainly continue to play that role and Hall will certainly be deep. I don't think there is any doubt about that. Hall didn't kick over 70 goals three years in a row from taking marks on the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

The way our forward line sets up means all players will need to be adaptable and be able to move around based on matchups etc so I wouldn't read too much into the named team sheets. I believe at different stages Eade won't be afraid to use Hall further up the field if it means dragging someone like Scarlett or Rutten away from full back alternatively if he has a favourable match up he won't be afraid putting him in the goalsquare.

I think when Hall was playing at this best he actually played a role which I would consider a cross between CHF & FF, O'Loughlin would own the immediate 30 metres in front of goal and Hall would patrol the area outside of that including pushing up to the wings and working twice as hard back to goals.

I still would expect to see Murphy roaming across half forward and I also expect to see Johnno continue to push further up the ground in a role similar to the one Richo has been playing the past few years - wing/forward (I know I know wing is no longer a position).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I don't really agree that Hall has been a CHF. Certainly not the last few years. Full forwards get much further up the ground these days.

Put it this way. Hall has always lined up inside the 50 - not on the line of the square. Murphy will almost certainly continue to play that role and Hall will certainly be deep. I don't think there is any doubt about that. Hall didn't kick over 70 goals three years in a row from taking marks on the wing.
    I might be wrong but sometime ago I think I read that the SCG 50 metre arcs were really 45 metre arcs because of the shortness of the ground which is a fraction under 150 metres in length. If true this would even make Hall lining up closer to goal that what it appears to be.

Post Thanks / Like

B- Dale Morris - Brian Lake - Lindsay Gilbee
    HB- Jarrod Harbrow - Tom Williams - Ryan Hargrave
    C- Nathan Eagleton - Daniel Cross - Ryan Griffen
    HF- Brad Johnson - Robert Murphy - Shaun Higgins
    F-Jason Akermanis - Barry Hall - Mitch Hahn
    Foll- Ben Hudson - Matthew Boyd - Adam Cooney
    Int- Will Minson - Daniel Giansiracusa - Callan Ward - Liam Picken

This is mine.
    The curse is dead.