HF - Giansiracusa - Murphy - Johnson
    F - Akermanis - Hall - Hahn
    I - Eagleton - Picken - Ward - Minson
    E - Wood - Hill - Thorne
    Foll - Hudson - Griffen - Higgins

Ha ha it was late..?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 2010 Team

I have looked at sides that are being posted and just cannot see how we could fit every deserving player in.

The fitness of players will be paramount and we should not go into round one with any player who is underdone.

This puts some doubt around post season surgery recipients Cross and Murphy who would normally be automatic selections.

From the prelim side I would expect Williams to replace Callan and Hall to replace Welsh, but there are plenty of other options.

Reid and Wood showed enough in 2009 to be considered possibilities although they have both had post season surgery.

Callan and Addison stay under notice as hard at it defenders.

Everitt is obviously expecting to prove his worth. Josh Hill was a regular until the second final.

That gives 27 players and I rate all of them ahead of some that Brisbane in particular traded in.

There might also be someone from the rest of the list that put in a pre-season demanding selection as Hill did in 2008.

If one or two of Stack, Grant, Boumann, Cordy, Roughead, Jones make the transition to senior standard we are looking very good indeed. There is also the suggestion that Makovic and Thorne could be ready to go.

WOW.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone agree that, baring injury, Mitch Hahn will really struggle to hold a spot this season. One thought that crossed my mind was a total change of position for him:

CHB;

Per last seasons height & weight: 188cm's & 99 kilos.
    Strong as a bull. Great mark. 2nds efforts. Admittedly i can't remember a time when he's played there, but Harbs hadn't played a great deal from the backline before last season also.

Cover for Tommy if he gets injured and if Markovic isn't ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M.R.M View Post
    Does anyone agree that, baring injury, Mitch Hahn will really struggle to hold a spot this season. One thought that crossed my mind was a total change of position for him:

CHB;

Strong as a bull. Great mark. 2nds efforts. Admittedly i can't remember a time when he's played there, but Harbs hadn't played a great deal from the backline before last season also.

Doesn't have the height, speed or the endurance to play CHB.

I also think he will struggle to hold a spot in the forward line, but i don't have a problem with Mitch spending time at Williamstwon. We need to blood a few younger types.

Post Thanks / Like

CHB;

Mitch has a fantastic record on lesser defenders. With Hall in the side he is likely to get a lesser opponent regularly. Could make him very dangerous as he generally outmuscles those smaller defenders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Mitch has a fantastic record on lesser defenders. With Hall in the side he is likely to get a lesser opponent regularly. Could make him very dangerous as he generally outmuscles those smaller defenders.
    Couldn't agree more, Big Bad Barry will make a lot of players better, as they will not attract the premium defender.

Post Thanks / Like

CHB;

I think he was injured a fair bit last year. Can do better, surely.

As for CHB, he is too slow and not so agile. His opponent would loose him too easilly.

Post Thanks / Like

If you add Barry Hall to the side and combine him with an up and running Robert Murphy than not only will Hahn relish more freedom in 2010, I also believe Johnson & Hill will enjoy slipping down the ranks and combined they will provide opposition plenty of match-up problems.

Post Thanks / Like

These teams are simply mouth-watering.
    Deffinatly capable of winning a premiership I say!

Post Thanks / Like

B: Morris, Lake, Hargrave
    HB: Harbrow, Williams, Gilbee
    C: Ward, Boyd, Griffen
    HF: Higgins, Johnson, Akermanis
    F: Murphy, Hall, Giansiracusa
    R: Hudson, Picken, Cooney

Int: Cross, Everitt, Minson, Wood

EMG: Eagleton, Hahn, Hill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Doc, A few surprises there.
    Would Murphy be better suited to CHF than Johnson?
    Is the choice of Picken over Cross due do Cross's kicking?
    Wood is very much the bolter so I'd be interested in your thoughts there?

Post Thanks / Like

Except for a few minor, pedantic positional changes that was my side as well.

They were my three emergencies, too; of course it is highly likely that we will have at least 3 injuries every week so they'll probably all play most games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Doc, A few surprises there.
    Would Murphy be better suited to CHF than Johnson?
    Is the choice of Picken over Cross due do Cross's kicking?
    Wood is very much the bolter so I'd be interested in your thoughts there?
    I wanted to keep Johnno and Hall a little apart. I can see Johnno getting in the way of a few Hall leads. In any case I would interchange Johnno and Murphy across half forward, probably Hall too.

I think Crossy is being caught and even surpassed by some of the others and his reluctance to kick must be frustrating for the coaches. It certainly drives me bonkers when he handballs back into congestion rather than kick. Ward & Higgo have caught up and have better skills. Picken brings something different with his tagging. So Crossy on the bench for me.

I chose Wood ahead of the others because I think he can really play and it's time to inject some youthful dash into the side. I love how he takes the game on. Otherwise we are bit Dads Army.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to keep Johnno and Hall a little apart. I can see Johnno getting in the way of a few Hall leads. In any case I would interchange Johnno and Murphy across half forward, probably Hall too.
    I thought that might be the reason but Murphy doesn't strike me as being an effective player close to goal. I actually think Murphy might pass the ball to Hall a bit better than Johnson as well.

I think Crossy is being caught and even surpassed by some of the others and his reluctance to kick must be frustrating for the coaches. It certainly drives me bonkers when he handballs back into congestion rather than kick. Ward & Higgo have caught up and have better skills. Picken brings something different with his tagging. So Crossy on the bench for me.
    The thing that troubles me about Cross mainly being used off the bench is that he isn't a burst player like Giansiracusa is and I think his game would drop off a fair bit with reduced minutes. I agree that his reluctance to kick can be frustrating but it's hard to know how to best use him. It's probably a critical decision for Eade to make next year. Cross is predicable and consistent and coaches love that but does he have the game that will hurt good sides?

I chose Wood ahead of the others because I think he can really play and it's time to inject some youthful dash into the side. I love how he takes the game on. Otherwise we are bit Dads Army.
    It's exactly why I would try and keep Hill in the side. Wood's decision making and skills still need some work but I get the feeling that it will all click for him next season.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we saw late in the year (especially our last 2 games) how Cross will be used over the coming years. With others passing him as mentioned in terms of ball winning ability and superior foot skills Cross should become our 'inside tagger' picking up players such as Hayes, Black and Mitchell to name a few.