I read this last week and thought it might be of some interest. It's always good to see what happens to explayers but I doubt too many been on a similiar journey to Danny/Daniel. Reading the bolded bit has me wondering what name he took up?

Doggone Danny … to Egypt!
ANYONE who used to boast a shark and a snake as pets (not to mention sport a goatee beard and ponytail while in the field of battle) is … well, considered ''out there'' in our book, and we're pleased to report life's journey has found yet another different fork in the road for former Western Bulldogs player Danny Southern. ''Daniel'' as he liked to be referred to in the latter part of his career is now as far removed from AFL football as one is likely to be, being based in Egypt where he is ground operations manager for an Australian travel company called Intrepid Travel. And not only does his job involve being in charge of 30 team leaders but he also regularly gets to sample what his company has to offer, travelling to such remote spots as Syria, Jordan, Algeria, Libya and Tunisia. Those who knew Southern during his footy career and his subsequent brief stint as an ABC commentator won't be surprised by any of this because Southern always had a penchant for visiting some of the world's more exotic destinations during footy's off-season. This time though they're not expecting him back any time soon - not only has Southern embraced Egypt and all that it has to offer but since taking on his new job has fallen in love with a local lass and recently married her resulting, we believe, in him converting to Islam and changing his name.

From;

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/tree-...1201-k3sh.html