Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dalrymples first draft.

Only early days i know, but it looks like he has tried to fill a few holes(the only thing we didn't need was inside mids).

Flanker/Wingers
    Howard, Tutt, Thorne and Moles

Small Forward/Back
    Hooper, Rose

Tall Forward/Back
    Markovic, Panos

Ruck
    Prato

A good all round effort. Very happy.

Whats everyone else's opinion.
    Last edited by chef; 15-12-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dalrymples first draft.

Agreed, a few smokeys and bolters as well as a few highly rated sliders in the rookie draft. Panos and Hooper are good rookie pick ups and Im looking forward to watching how Howard and Tutt develop. Good mix of talent, positional depth and picks based on needs for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm very pleased with the number of new players we have added overall. Not having footage of Howard makes it difficult to know but Tutt looks a super user, who I have high hopes for.

Having a larger compliment of rookies is brilliant for turning the list over and looking at guys who may or may not be up to it. It gave us a whole lot more flexibility to add Mole, Markovic, Thorne and Rose - and if 1 of them ends up a player of the Morris, Boyd, Picken ilk then it will be a brilliant outcome.

I also like that we have added two highly performed kids who people have question marks over in Panos and Hooper. It means they should be desperate and determined

Its really up to the coaches now to get the development bit right

Young kids
    Howard, Tutt, Panos, Prato, Hooper,

Mature age
    Markovic, Thorne, Mole, Rose

Post Thanks / Like

Its Moles not Mole

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Its Moles not Mole
    Thanks
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Mole that will be be Barry Hall's ex?

Post Thanks / Like

The net result is

Primary list

Off - Welsh, Wight, O'Shea, O'Keefe, Lynch, Skipper

On - Hall, Markovic, Mulligan, Howard, Tutt, Thorne

I would argue that the first 3 talls that have come on are better than the 3 talls that have come off. The balance we will have to wait and see. We lose a ready made ruckman so that offsets the gains somewhat unless one of the young rucks kick on.

Rookie List

Off - Mulligan, White, Shaw

On - Moles, Hooper, Panos, Prato, Rose & Daniels (retained)

In Rose and Moles we have quality VFL players who are experienced and could play round 1 if needed. Hooper & Panos come with a decent junior resume in positions we are hoping to improve and Prato is clearly the project player. I like the balance here.

Overall we have added to our depth significantly. We have added an extra 5 players who could arguably play straight away in Hall, Markovic, Moles, Thorne & Rose. We have only lost 2 players who were realistic AFL chances in Welsh and Skipper. It is also refreshing to see 6 rookies on the list now as opposed to 4.

Post Thanks / Like

Due to salary cap pressures we appear to have added a lot of mature type players on the cheap which has added a lot to our depth.
    I think it was a bonus to land Panos and we can slot him into a key forward role in the Williamstown 2nds and have a good look at him.

Peter German has a critical role now of managing a number of players between the seniors and the reserves. This will create a lot of competition which, if managed well, can only be good for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    The net result is

Overall we have added to our depth significantly. We have added an extra 5 players who could arguably play straight away in Hall, Markovic, Moles, Thorne & Rose. We have only lost 2 players who were realistic AFL chances in Welsh and Skipper. It is also refreshing to see 6 rookies on the list now as opposed to 4.
    And so much better than 1!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if in years to come our rookie draft will outperform our "real draft" this year.
    Hooper will definitely make it in my opinion. Panos was supposedly a second rounder and Rose seems destined to follow in the footsteps of Boyd, Picken and Morris.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

As Sockeye alerted me, the problem now is with so many rookies, a number of them and other listed players will be at Williamstown 2nds due to the stupid 12 AFL player list rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    On - Hall, Markovic, Mulligan, Howard, Tutt, Thorne
    You forgot Picken.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    As Sockeye alerted me, the problem now is with so many rookies, a number of them and other listed players will be at Williamstown 2nds due to the stupid 12 AFL player list rule.
    I was pretty sure that this rule only came into effect when you played against a stand alone side such as Frankston.

Can someone clarify this rule?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket
    We were planning on mostly younger, developing players, which is what we got. It's a good mix.

We should have had a sweep on how long it took Rocket to say "it's a good mix."
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.