Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stephen Boyle

Studentlib Guest

Stephen Boyle

There is an interesting article on "Real Footy", entitled " The Warrior's Blessing" at http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...1218-l5tv.html

Its written by ex hawk, Tim Boyle. His father Stephen Boyle played 6 games for dogs before he was injured by a Saints player and damaged his sight. Does anyone recall the incident and Boyle's time with the dogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stephen Boyle

I have some recollection of this incident and remember that he was a highly regarded player.
    I believe Kevin 'Cowboy' Neale was the StKilda player but I say this with not 100% certainty.

From memory Boyle was a half forward flanker.

Hopefully alwaysadog can provide some information.

Griffo Guest

It was the Cowboy, got Stephen with a coathanger at Western Oval, from memory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
    It was the Cowboy, got Stephen with a coathanger at Western Oval, from memory.
    I was at the game.It was Neale's elbow not a coat hanger. He came charging out of a pack and raised his elbow. A sickening incident. From memory I think it was reported at the time that Neale didn't even approach Stephen at afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely a Cowboy Neal elbow. Stevie Boyle lost an eye as a result.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I have some recollection of this incident and remember that he was a highly regarded player.
    I believe Kevin 'Cowboy' Neale was the StKilda player but I say this with not 100% certainty.

From memory Boyle was a half forward flanker.
    Hopefully alwaysadog can provide some information.
    Correct and about half the size of Tim.

Post Thanks / Like

St Kilda players didn't exactly cover themselves in glory with some of their off-the-ball incidents in the early 70's. Poor Stephen Boyle and Johnny Greening had their VFL dreams and hopes instantaneously destroyed in a matter of moments as a direct result of cynical off-the-ball acts of unprovoked thuggery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I was at the game.It was Neale's elbow not a coat hanger. He came charging out of a pack and raised his elbow. A sickening incident. From memory I think it was reported at the time that Neale didn't even approach Stephen at afterwards.
    It has been frequently noted over the years that Cowboy had very sharp elbows for such a well-padded frame.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    It has been frequently noted over the years that Cowboy had very sharp elbows for such a well-padded frame.
    As Peter Hudson, among others found out.

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen Boyle was a science teacher at my school (Queenscliff High, which is now caled Bellarine Seondary College) in the 80's.

He also coached our senior footy team in 1987 which went close to making the final of the Herald Shield, which was a huge effort for a public school.

Ive also seen him at the local Bulldogs supporter group functions. Good to see his is still involved with the club in some capacity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    St Kilda players didn't exactly cover themselves in glory with some of their off-the-ball incidents in the early 70's. Poor Stephen Boyle and Johnny Greening had their VFL dreams and hopes instantaneously destroyed in a matter of moments as a direct result of cynical off-the-ball acts of unprovoked thuggery.
    Yes and the 80's when they had thugs spoons[many],Mud and one redeeming feature Saints Disco

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Boyle has made an interesting start with his articles

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - good article.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fossie 32 View Post
    Yes - good article.
    The boy can write!
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler