Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carlton off-season strife

They'll still train with the Bullants, and a banning from NAB Cup duties is like being slapped with wet lettuce. If Carlton were serious about a 'culture change', a ban from H&A games should have been mandatory, especially as it involves repeat offenders.

Interesting that no one was punished for the Casboult incident - does that mean a blind eye was turned towards the instigator or were one of Betts, Houlihan or Walker the guilty party? If that's the case, their punishment is even more of a joke.

I wonder if the fact that not having Judd (and Fevola) for the first three weeks had anything to do with the decision - this is Carlton 'Win at all costs and f*** the rest' Football Club we're talking about.

FWIW, I'm rapt they went down this path - I'm happy to continue watching them rot from the core.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What does everyone think of the punishment for the 3 players?
    For what it's worth I think they have probably got it about right.
    If Carlton were serious, they would ban them from playing the first 4 games of the season proper, make then sit out of the live pre season games, once the Blues get knocked out of it, make them play each of the regional games, they have already been fined, but also make them do so many hours of community work, the they'd be somewhere close imo.

The joke of it all again comes from the drunken Pres, "they were close to being sacked", yet slapped with a wet lettuce leaf as Comrade said.

But, what else would anyone expect?

Post Thanks / Like

Was Kernahan drunk?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I reckon they should make them train, and suspend them from the Who Cares Cup and, if necessary, start of the regular season. And I know it's in the EBA, but a 5k fine is nothing with the big money professional footballers earn.
    There isn't a lot they can do about the fines but we sort of know that it doesn't really work.
    I think this is a good start for them because if there is any more problems then the next player will lose home and away games. It falls short of the stand that the Pies made with Shaw and Didak but for a club that has been known as being too lenient it's a decent step forward.

Post Thanks / Like

There isn't a lot they can do about the fines but we sort of know that it doesn't really work.
    I think this is a good start for them because if there is any more problems then the next player will lose home and away games. It falls short of the stand that the Pies made with Shaw and Didak but for a club that has been known as being too lenient it's a decent step forward.
    It's a balancing act, they might really be fed up with this out of control behaviour, but there's not a lot they can do without hurting the team and that means the other players on the list as well. Still that might be the price they have to pay if they are serious

The proof will be if the players start to exert some self discipline and if they don't whether they do something about it or just huff and puff some more. Cause at this stage all one can see is a lot of posturing and some beginning of action but that's all.

I would be interested to know if there is any player code of conduct or the like in place at Carlton and if the players have signed off on it and if it contains penalties other than having to be a waiter for one J Elliott when he gets allowed back.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    It's a balancing act, they might really be fed up with this out of control behaviour, but there's not a lot they can do without hurting the team and that means the other players on the list as well. Still that might be the price they have to pay if they are serious
    Geelong did this with Steve Johnson, who is a far better player than any of the three Carlton lightweights, and they hardly suffered from it -- quite the contrary, if anything.

A strong team with a positive cultural fabric far outweighs any negligible individual contributions from the likes of these: it's not like we're talking about Carey-calibre talent here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Geelong did this with Steve Johnson, who is a far better player than any of the three Carlton lightweights, and they hardly suffered from it -- quite the contrary, if anything.

A strong team with a positive cultural fabric far outweighs any negligible individual contributions from the likes of these: it's not like we're talking about Carey-calibre talent here.
    Remember this is Carlton and is more than just one player.

Post Thanks / Like

Bluebaggers are still partying like it's 1987. They were the last team to embrace the national draft and rebuilding through youth, so it comes as absolutely no surprise that they are so reluctant to move away from the drinking culture (thinly disguised as team bonding). These 'penalties' only reaffirm their inability/unwillingness to stamp out this culture once and for all. The game has changed an amazing amount even since 1999 and Carlton have proven time and again to be reactive to the changing professional environment of AFL.

I hope Kernahan and Ratten stay in their repsective roles for another 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

The word around the traps is that a fair bit more happened on the 'Booze cruise' than what is known by both the club and the media and if it got out the proverbial would hit the fan.

Sorry I know nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The word around the traps is that a fair bit more happened on the 'Booze cruise' than what is known by both the club and the media and if it got out the proverbial would hit the fan.

Fingers crossed it gets out, preferably a week before Round 1.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnson was nothing when he was suspended. They tried to trade him but he didn't pass Collingwood's medical. Once he came back he became the player we see dominating today. I agree a similar message for the Carlton players may have done them some good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

Sound's like part of AAD's strategy from post 44.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Johnson was nothing when he was suspended. They tried to trade him but he didn't pass Collingwood's medical. Once he came back he became the player we see dominating today. I agree a similar message for the Carlton players may have done them some good.
    True.. but 'nothing' may be a bit harsh. He was probably a bit like Richmond's Mitch Morton -- mercurial, but a bit lairy and inconsistent.

ps. Love the quotes on your signature.

Post Thanks / Like

True.. but 'nothing' may be a bit harsh. He was probably a bit like Richmond's Mitch Morton -- mercurial, but a bit lairy and inconsistent.
    Nothing was a bad choice.

ps. Love the quotes on your signature.
    Can't go wrong with the K-man

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure but the 12.5M needs to be re-financed with Westpac this year according to the Hun.
    I don't know the details of these developments but as I've said elsewhere out commitment was $3.2m and the Forever Foundation have covered this already.

In projects I've been involved in, in another existence we often had to cover the instalment payments because government monies were only available on completion.

I don't know if this is the case but if it's not I would have expected a note in the most recent financial statements to explain a 300% blow out in our debt and there isn't one that I can find.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler