Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Andrew lovett suspended indefinately

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't see your logic, its not as if all the people were in the room? Surely its between the girl and Lovett.
    From everything we have heard it took her all of 10 seconds after the act to go running / screaming for help.

Reasonable doubt will always exist in rape cases unfortunately, esp when the victim is drunk.

I'll clarify the earlier comment as well. Not saying 100% he is guilty more surprised at how quickly it has ended.

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn't help feeling there may have been a whiff of racism about this one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    That could complicate things for St Kilda even further.
    Their reasons for sacking him covers them - wasn't related to legal difficulties.

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Wow Im staggered by that, thought for sure he would be found guilty with all of the testimony involved from people at the house. Shows how hard it is to prosecute for rape.
    The last major study I read had a conviction rate of 0.15% including reported & non reported incidents (yes, 0.15%. That's 3 in 20,000). This was based on three years in Victoria in the late 1990s. Rape is virtually not even a crime in Australia.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The burden of proof for criminal proceedings is far greater than civil. If he tried suing St Kilda or the girl he'd be torn to pieces by the most junior lawyer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    The burden of proof for criminal proceedings is far greater than civil. If he tried suing St Kilda or the girl he'd be torn to pieces by the most junior lawyer.
    Why would he have problems suing the Saints? He has a good case for wrongful dismissal or for ruining his AFL career and potential earnings. I can understand suing the girl may be an issue.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Why would he have problems suing the Saints? He has a good case for wrongful dismissal or for ruining his AFL career and potential earnings. I can understand suing the girl may be an issue.
    From memory the Saints were very careful in their wording at the time of his dismissal, to make sure that if he was found non-guilty they wouldn't have any issues.

Post Thanks / Like

He wasn't dismissed for rape so he has no grounds.

Post Thanks / Like

What grounds would he have for wrongful dismissal? Basically I meant the same as jazz

Anyway it is a moot point, he has already been paid money to stop legal proceedings for any wrongful dismissal claims.

Post Thanks / Like

The case is a total f up. I can see why the verdict was not guilty.

The Saints culture has a lot to answer for.
    Last edited by Twodogs; 26-07-2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: too much conjecture