Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2010 Jumper Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I think it was implied that once Eagleton finishes up the no.10 jumper might be put in cotton wool for Lachlan Hunter whose father (Mark) wore that guernsey number.

Unless there is another Eagleton on the way... NO!!!
    That is not a universal opinion.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

It is seen as a sign of worth/ status to have a low number .
    Not sure that Morris No 38 and Lake No 36, both All-Australians in recent seasons necessarily agree.
    I believe there's nothing on this earth that we own. All we do is look after it for our children - Terry Wheeler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    Not sure that Morris No 38 and Lake No 36, both All-Australians in recent seasons necessarily agree.
    No, but Grant (24), Murphy (22), Everitt (29), Cross (38), Boyd (42), Johnson (33), Higgins (19), Hahn (37) & Gilbee (29) all have changed down. Seems to have happened forever that when a lower number becomes free it goes to a very good player.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    No, but Grant (24), Murphy (22), Everitt (29), Cross (38), Boyd (42), Johnson (33), Higgins (19), Hahn (37) & Gilbee (29) all have changed down. Seems to have happened forever that when a lower number becomes free it goes to a very good player.
    I agree TCD, most players like to move to lower numbers as they establish themselves at the club. There are also players that the club asks to move to a lower number especially if it has been worn by club legends. There are still a significant number who get a high number and like to stick with it.

I don't know that the current Nos 1 and 3 yet qualify for the "very good player" description, and one wears an almost sacred number. Let's hope hindsight proves your description to be accurate and prescient.

However I am not too keen on the idea of giving players not yet established in the side low numbers, it's too easy for them to get confused about where they're actually at and it is hard to think that they have done enough to earn it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysadog View Post
    However I am not too keen on the idea of giving players not yet established in the side low numbers, it's too easy for them to get confused about where they're actually at and it is hard to think that they have done enough to earn it.
    I agree & I like the decision of Hardwick at Richmond where he's left lower numbers recently vacated free & asked the newer players to earn them.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Thanks for that TCD.

Can't help but notice that numbers 24 and 39 have been left vacant for 2010!!
    Nice pick up, i am a little more excited now!