Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Decade 2000-2009

So, off the top of your head, how did you think we fared in the 00's?

I was surprised when I looked up the stats; I thought we had performed netter to be honest.

We made the finals in 4 years; 2000, 2006, 2008 & 2009 & played 9 matches, winning 3 & losing 6.

Ladder Position

2000 - 8th - 12/11

2001 - 10th - 10/12

2002 - 12th - 9/12/1

2003 - 16th - 3/18/1

2004 - 14th - 5/17

2005 - 9th - 11/11

2006 - 6th - 14/10

2007 - 13th - 9/12/1

2008 - 3rd - 16/8/1

2009 - 3rd - 16/9

We played 229 games, winning 105, losing 120 & drawing 4 of those.

So, how did we fare against each team?

Adelaide - Played 16 - Won 7/Lost 9 - Highest Score 140 - Lowest Score 35 - GWM 61 - GLM 77

Brisbane - Played 18 - Won 8/Lost 10 - Highest Score 151 - Lowest Score 67 - GWM 63 - GLM 84

Carlton - Played 12 - Won 6/Lost 6 - Highest Score 128 - Lowest Score 75 - GWM 46 - GLM 61

Collingwood - Played 17 - Won 8/Lost 9 - Highest Score 141 - Lowest Score 63 - GWM 63 - GLM 41

Essendon - Played 15 - Won 7/Lost 7/Drawn 1 - Highest Score 151 - Lowest Score 76 - GWM 76 - GLM 46

Fremantle - Played 12 - Won 8/Lost 4 - Highest Score 174 - Lowest Score 72 - GWM 93 - GLM 83

Geelong - Played 17 - Won 8/Lost 9 - Highest Score 133 - Lowest Score 54 - GWM 39 - GLM 75

Hawthorn - Played 15 - Won 7/Lost 8 - Highest Score 133 - Lowest Score 66 - GWM 88 - GLM 84

Melbourne - Played 18 - Won 8/Lost 10 - Highest Score 161 - Lowest Score 55 - GWM 95 - GLM 51

North Melbourne - Played 15 - Won 7/Lost 8 - Highest Score 145 - Lowest Score 79 - GWM 34 - GLM 64

Port Adelaide - Played 14 - Won 5/Lost 9 - Highest Score 166 - Lowest Score 61 - GWM 93 - GLM 86

Richmond - Played 15 - Won 8/Lost 6/Drawn 1 - Highest Score 167 - Lowest Score 52 - GWM 115 - GLM 60

St.Kilda - Played 17 - Won 6/Lost 10/Drawn 1 - Highest Score 133 - Lowest Score 30 - GWM 47 - GLM 65

Sydney - Played 12 - Won 7/Lost 5 - Highest Score 159 - Lowest Score 57 - GWM 69 - GLM 64

West Coast -Played 16 - Won 5/Lost 10/Drawn 1 - Highest Score 142 - Lowest Score 39 - GWM 60 - GLM 87

During the 00's we have had 3 senior coaches. Here's their record:

Terry Wallace
    (2000 - R21 2002) - Played 66 - Won 30/Lost 35/Drawn 1 - Winning % is 45.

Peter Rohde - (R22 2002 - 2004) - Played 45 - Won 9/Lost 35/Drawn 1 - Winning % is 20.

Rodney Eade - (2005 - 2009) - Played 118 - Won 66/Lost 50/Drawn 2 - Winning % is 56.

Here are the Charles Sutton Medalists during the 00's:

2000 - Scott West

2001 - Luke Darcy

2002 - Brad Johnson

2003 - Scott West

2004 - Scott West

2005 - Scott West

2006 - Brad Johnson

2007 - Brian Harris

2008 - Daniel Cross

2009 - Matthew Boyd

So, what were some of your highlights/lowlights during the past decade?

My highlights are:

* Beating Richmond by 115 points in the opening round of 2006. Friday night under lights; it doesn't get much better than this.

* Beating Collingwood in the 2006 Elimination Final. To see Collingwood's fans streaming from the ground half way through the last quarter as 'Sons of the West' rag out around the stadium was pure bliss. The win also enabled Rohan Smith to reach the 300 game milestone.

* The comeback against North at Canberra where Johnno did everything humanely possible to stuff his kick off the ground up.

* Johnno's 300th against Adelaide where he kicked 3 goals in the last five minutes to drag his team over the line.

* The professionalism of the club off field with the redevelopment, training facilities & players wanting to play for the Western Bulldogs.

* Crofty's performance against North in his farewell game.

My lowlights are:

* Hearing that Terry Wallace had decided to resign. Times have changed, but back then we all thought he really was something special. It felt like someone you knew had died to be honest.

* The Peter Rohde years. Nothing worse than going to the footy each week knowing you aren't competitive.

* Losing the 2009 Preliminary Final to St.Kilda. The players gave their all that night & to be denied in that manner was simply gut wrenching.

* Losing to Melbourne when Jeff White was awarded a dodgy free kick against Wayde Skipper to deny us making the finals.

* Chris Grant injuring his knee in R1 2003 against Geelong & missing the rest of the season & Luke Darcy doing his knee for the second time in the last training drill before X/mas.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Decade 2000-2009

The first few years of the 00's were disappointing - Wallace traded some really good players away and we never got that key forward we desperately needed. Seeing Grant go down in the 1st game of 03 was terrible. Darcy going down twice was also a huge blow - he was one of the dominant ruckmen of the comp and with our shortage of big men - well we all know what happened there...

Rhodes coaching tenor was a disaster - but bottoming out meant we got Cooney, Griff and Williams, which i think we all are happy about now.

Agree with all of the highlights listed above - add to that the comeback against Adelaide at the G...

One thing is for sure - the 10's are going to be a above and beyond the 00's
    We are in fantastic shape with Barry, Brad and Aker coming to end but ready for one or 2 final cracks at the big one... and plenty of talent running around at Willy as well as Mitch Wallis and Liber's son to be drafted this year!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Great post TCD. I wasn't surprised at how unsuccessful we've been in this decade, it really has only been the last 4-5 years when we have enjoyed some sort of success. I was surprised that the only two teams who we've beaten more times than we've lost are Richmond and Freo. Although I guess that also reflects on how their decades have been.

That North game in Canberra when Johnno kicked the winning goal has got to be one of the most exciting wins I've been to. Being able to watch the boys sing the song after the game (possibly Cam Faulkner's first win?) only added to it.

Johnno's 300th and the Collingwood final are my two other highlights.

Jade Rawlings first game, offering so much hope (7.4, or something like that?), was a highlight which became a lowlight.

I think the 08 Prelim has to be included as a lowlight as well, so many squandered chances.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Great post TCD. I wasn't surprised at how unsuccessful we've been in this decade, it really has only been the last 4-5 years when we have enjoyed some sort of success. I was surprised that the only two teams who we've beaten more times than we've lost are Richmond and Freo. Although I guess that also reflects on how their decades have been.
    You missed Sydney, which is one that suprised me as they really had it over us for a while and we gave away our home ground advantage against them a bit. They had a pretty good decade too. We tied with Carlton, you would think most sides would have beaten them. Melbourne is one I thought we would have won more than we lost against.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Studentlib Guest

Some amazing stats and some very forgettable years esp. 03 and 04. Club almost lost me as we headed back to the 60s wilderness. Greatest regret was not seeing Dogs in 2005 finals when we were playing some of the most sublime perfect football late in the season, with from memory, none of the injuries that cruelled us in other years; droppping a crucial game against Demons through not being switched on and missing out on a finals series we could have played a big part in. Watching the players faces, while some other match result determined their 05 season. Then coming out and showing more of the same unstoppable footy in rnd 1 2006 against Tigers - 'what could have been in 05".
    Best memories Collingwood Sept 2006 after pies went the man and we went on playing our brand of footy, Libbas last game, and being up in Canberra watching the 2004 last qtr comeback (while celebrating my 50th) was special.
    Coming out of this decade as one of the on field powerhouse clubs is the most satisfying feeling, given we seem to be headed for long term stability and success off field. 56 years on since 1954 and all I can think is "Bring it on". Happy new year to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Studentlib View Post
    Greatest regret was not seeing Dogs in 2005 finals when we were playing some of the most sublime perfect football late in the season, with from memory, none of the injuries that cruelled us in other years; droppping a crucial game against Demons through not being switched on and missing out on a finals series we could have played a big part in.
    Fair go - not switched on?...We only lost by a kick - in the last 5 minutes of the game against another finalist. And the goal that won it for the dee's wasn't exactly a clear-cut umpiring decision. I agree it was a pretty devastating loss, but coming off the Rhode disaster 2005 was a terrific season but no way were we ready to challenge for a flag.

We were a middle of the road side throughout the decade. The finals appearances under Wallace were the last gasps of a team past its 1998 prime, the Rohde years were a disaster as was 2007 (though more in a 2 steps forward, 1 step back kind of way).

Eade's coaching record is outstanding at the moment and we are hitting the next decade in reasonable shape for both a tilt at the flag in 2010/11 and perhaps even another one in 2015/16 assuming that Ward, Harbrow, Jones, Cordy and Roughy develop as we hope they will. Off the field the facilities seem good but I guess we will always battle for members and supporters.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

And i think all of you are also missing our biggest upset win of the decade?
    v Essendon Round 21 2000?

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread - most of my high/lowlights have been mentioned, so I have little to add.

Highlight - Boyd's goal at the end of the 3rd quarter against Richmond in 05, still makes me laugh

Lowlight - Scott West's last season, such a shame his knee went the way it did
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B-RadBulldog View Post
    Yup, you're right, forgot that one & only watched it the other night. Seems so long ago doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B-RadBulldog View Post

I still think that the win against Carlton two weeks before at Optus was my most enjoyable win of the decade.

Great thread TCD
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Great thread TCD
    Thanks Twodogs, was a bit of a trip down memory lane.

Incidentally, what were some of your other highlights & lowlights for the decade.

By the way, Desipura put me onto this site some time back. Really helps with stats. Just have a play around.

www.afl.allthestats.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Yup, you're right, forgot that one & only watched it the other night. Seems so long ago doesn't it?
    Seems like agesss ago! A decade ago to be accurate!
    A great thread! =]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Great thread - most of my high/lowlights have been mentioned, so I have little to add.

Highlight - Boyd's goal at the end of the 3rd quarter against Richmond in 05, still makes me laugh
    Lowlight - Scott West's last season, such a shame his knee went the way it did
    Hilarious. After reading that I just watched it on youtube. I was at that game, I can vividly remember how stuffed the 5 or 6 players that ran all that way looked immediately afterwards. Clever work from Boydy and and good piece of team play from Farren.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfa4pm View Post
    Hilarious. After reading that I just watched it on youtube. I was at that game, I can vividly remember how stuffed the 5 or 6 players that ran all that way looked immediately afterwards. Clever work from Boydy and and good piece of team play from Farren.
    Happened at precisely the same time my little bloke was going bananas - missed the whole bloody thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    Happened at precisely the same time my little bloke was going bananas - missed the whole bloody thing.
    That's a shame, because it was a classic piece of play that my Dad and I still talk about.