Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Decade 2000-2009

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Pretty harsh on Southern I reckon. He was a terrific defender for us and his unfortunate suspension for wrestling in Round 22 1997 agruably cost us a premiership. Even though he was only 24 at the time, his body was shot to pieces in 2000, and 5 games in a row on the rock-hard Docklands playing surface early in that season finished him off for good.
    Hi Sedat -- 'twas only a joke nomination. I love Danny and I certainly meant no disrespect. Like you said, he was a great defender, and I mentioned him in the same breath as Mick Martyn as the type of footballer who played an incredibly important role for the team (hard-man, wrestling gorillas etc.) but who didn't really have what you would call classical football skills, or even basic disposal.

We see less and less of this type of player these days because you really need to be a bit more versatile, so the AFL doesn't really have one-trick ponies anymore; the retirement of Fraser Gehrig -- ironically a gun wingman nearer the start of his career -- probably saw the extinction of the one-dimensional gorilla forward (Bazza and Jon Brown notwithstanding, although I think these guys have a bit more to their bow) and so saw the end of slow gorilla defenders (except Presti). Oh wait, has Rocca retired yet? Amazing how Presti and Rocca both play for Collingwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Hi Sedat -- 'twas only a joke nomination. I love Danny and I certainly meant no disrespect. Like you said, he was a great defender, and I mentioned him in the same breath as Mick Martyn as the type of footballer who played an incredibly important role for the team (hard-man, wrestling gorillas etc.) but who didn't really have what you would call classical football skills, or even basic disposal.

We see less and less of this type of player these days because you really need to be a bit more versatile, so the AFL doesn't really have one-trick ponies anymore; the retirement of Fraser Gehrig -- ironically a gun wingman nearer the start of his career -- probably saw the extinction of the one-dimensional gorilla forward (Bazza and Jon Brown notwithstanding, although I think these guys have a bit more to their bow) and so saw the end of slow gorilla defenders (except Presti). Oh wait, has Rocca retired yet? Amazing how Presti and Rocca both play for Collingwood.
    I can't agree with that.

Southern was actually a well skilled player who was a very sound kick. His rough exterior hid a player who was very efficient at disposing of the ball and if not for his bad knees he would have been a 10 year player.

The comparison with Martyn is totally unfair.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I can't agree with that.

Southern was actually a well skilled player who was a very sound kick. His rough exterior hid a player who was very efficient at disposing of the ball and if not for his bad knees he would have been a 10 year player.

Whoops.. didn't mean to stir anyone with a fun nomination! (Martyn is a 300-gamer so I actually thought Danny may be flattered by the comparison...)

I hereby withdraw it and resubmit my original nominations of Jesse Wells and Tim Walsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Brad Johnson has probably been the most consistent performer of the decade in the entire league - and an out and out matchwinner - so he is a no-brainer for my BEST of the decade.

Hard to pick the WORST - we've had some shockers that have played 10+ games. Bassett, Street, Wiggins, Contessa, Skipper, Kingsley Hunter all played pretty regularly in the years that we were on or near the bottom. We love them all because they are bulldogs - but could you imagine how far they'd be off getting selected these days! Ahh its good to be a good team!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Brad Johnson has probably been the most consistent performer of the decade in the entire league - and an out and out matchwinner - so he is a no-brainer for my BEST of the decade.

Hard to pick the WORST - we've had some shockers that have played 10+ games. Bassett, Street, Wiggins, Contessa, Skipper, Kingsley Hunter all played pretty regularly in the years that we were on or near the bottom. We love them all because they are bulldogs - but could you imagine how far they'd be off getting selected these days! Ahh its good to be a good team!
    Not sure that I'd put Adam Contessa in that group. He played some pretty good games, especially in a couple of tight ones, eg the day we came from 40-odd points down to beat North (Croft outmarking Carey with seconds to go). Also did well the night we rolled Essendon in 2000. He was all heart.
    Agree with the others, though - but I hate to say that because they were all better than me, and therefore I don't think I have any right to criticise them (am I being too serious here?).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I prefer to forget that 1990 ever existed (except for the bit when Libba won the Brownlow)
    I was so happy to see the team survive, that I loved 1990, especially beating Collingwood at the MCG after they had won about 12 in a row.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I can't agree with that.

While acknowledging Lantern has said this is a gag, I thought I'd add that Daniel was seriously good overhead as well, one of the best marks I've seen at the club (C Grant & Lake the best I can remember in my time)
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    One of my highlights was beating St Kilda at the MCG in June 2004. We were 15th, they were on top of the ladder. They'd won quite a few games in a row, 9 I think. No one gave us a chance and we beat them by 4 goals. It was my birthday that day too - I think they won it for me!!
    Would you believe a Stkilda bandwagoner gave me 10 goals in.!!Shocking supporter this bloke as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GetDimmaBack View Post
    Agree with the others, though - but I hate to say that because they were all better than me, and therefore I don't think I have any right to criticise them (am I being too serious here?).
    I have a simplistic theory on this, but follow me -- those of us who have been in managerial positions or owned a company, or heck, hired an accountant to do our taxes, pay all the time for others to have skills that we don't have or don't have the time to develop, and are well entitled to expect them to provide the skills that we pay for.

So in deciding to criticise players, instead of worrying if you were better than them, the more appropriate (albeit simplistic, granted) question may be: how much criticism is really warranted for a $100/$300/$500/$1000/$50,000 per annum investment (via membership fees) in the team? I would suggest that someone like GVGjr, or a major sponsor, who has invested a lot of cash and time in the team has more of a 'right' to send some criticism the players' way than some rabid-kid-who-can't-spell-properly on BF (for example).

Oh, and non-members should shut the hell up. (kidding!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Oh, and non-members should shut the hell up. (kidding!)
    Not really.