Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side by Side - A season with Collingwood

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Do you still have that one? I'd love to read it. I read a similar book early last year on George Karl and the Seattle Supersonics from the mid 90's. That was a great read.
    Yeah - it is around somewhere.

I can track it down, or you could buy it on amazon for US$3.00!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Yeah - it is around somewhere.

I can track it down, or you could buy it on amazon for US$3.00!
    Bah! I found it on Amazon for $0.01 earlier today.

Postage was $13 though but I'm willing to pay that for a good read. If you really like Basketball books I'd recomend the George Karl book "Full Court Pressure" It's available for 1 Cent as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Full-Court-Pre...304244&sr=8-20

I'm still reading my Bill Simmons' "The Book of Basketball" which has been fantastic so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'm still reading my Bill Simmons' "The Book of Basketball" which has been fantastic so far.
    Nice. I gave that to my brother for christmas...looking forward to having a look when he has finished. I like Simmons a lot but all the footnotes in his 'Now I can Die in Peace' drove me to complete distraction and I understand they are a big part of the new book as well.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Nice. I gave that to my brother for christmas...looking forward to having a look when he has finished. I like Simmons a lot but all the footnotes in his 'Now I can Die in Peace' drove me to complete distraction and I understand they are a big part of the new book as well.
    Yeah they are, I'm constantly checking the footnotes while reading.

Post Thanks / Like

"Side by Side" is OK but it's not the best footy book I've read-it's all just a little 'rah, rah, rah" for my liking.

My favorite footy books would be either "The Machine" about the 1927-1930 Collingwood premiership winning teams or a book about the South Melbourne teams in the '30s called Bloodstanined Angels or The Foreign Legion or something like that-I loaned it out a couple of years ago so I guess I'm not getting it back anytime soon. Maybe that shows my bias torward footy history. I highly reccomend a book called "The Bloodbath" about the 1945 Grand Final.

I also like a trilogy of books by a guy called Terry Keenan about the Port Melbourne footy club called Kicking Into the Wind, Unduly Rough Play and A Different Breed. Finaly there is also a book called "Footscray's royal year" about the 1954 season, it's not exactly a work of literary genius but the subjest matter keeps you interested!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.