Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Richmond faces $1m hole after 5400 members fall off from this time last year

# Sam Edmund # From: Herald Sun # January 14, 2010

RICHMOND is staring down the barrel of a $1 million shortfall, with its membership levels sagging.

The Tigers are down 5400 members on the same time last year, when Ben Cousins joined the club and generated enormous interest.

The membership vacuum this month equates to more than $1 million in club revenue.

RICHMOND is staring down the barrel of a $1 million shortfall, with its membership levels sagging.

The Tigers are down 5400 members on the same time last year, when Ben Cousins joined the club and generated enormous interest.

The membership vacuum this month equates to more than $1 million in club revenue.

(Sorry, couldn't help myself, just such pleasant reading).

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richmond faces $1m hole after 5400 members fall off from this time last year

It also means a lot of Richmond fans will have to find something else to tear up during late April and early May.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richmond faces $1m hole after 5400 members fall off from this time last year

When can I donate Supposedly big 4 club ,what a joke!!!

Post Thanks / Like

At the very least Wallet sold hope to the Richmond faithful which in turn sold memberships.

Hardwick staying out of the limelight and not saying boo might mean there isn't as much pressure on Richmond to succeed, but has done nothing for promoting his club which creates revenue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    At the very least Wallet sold hope to the Richmond faithful which in turn sold memberships.

Hardwick staying out of the limelight and not saying boo might mean there isn't as much pressure on Richmond to succeed, but has done nothing for promoting his club which creates revenue.
    I think Richmond supporters were sold such a lemon last season they've made aconcerted effort to stay quiet this pre-season. It was obvious that their membership was going to drop off with the Cousins effect last season and such an ordinary year.Football fans wont be sold on false hope and spin doctoring by marketing types at clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, call me a softy but I really feel sorry for any of the Melbourne clubs when they struggle - we were in the same boat not that long ago.

Post Thanks / Like

You shoud also factor in the loss of Matthew 'Aww, kick it to me!!' Richardson. Was a big hero to many at the Striped Tabbys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    Ok, call me a softy but I really feel sorry for any of the Melbourne clubs when they struggle - we were in the same boat not that long ago.
    Their is a few I wouldn't care if they struggled financially, Richmond are one of them. For years I have heard Richmond supporters slag off our club because of financial issues. Let's see how short their memory is......

Big 4??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Their is a few I wouldn't care if they struggled financially, Richmond are one of them. For years I have heard Richmond supporters slag off our club because of financial issues. Let's see how short their memory is......

Big 4??
    Didn't march make some wise crack about us not making aprofit since 1954?What goes around comes around,no sympathy for that lot!!

Post Thanks / Like

How's this for a bit of gobbledygook from Gale?

Speaking of Richo, "He's going to have to come to work in a suit every day and get his hands dirty,"

Huh?

Post Thanks / Like

They should be fine. Wallet gone as well as Nafan "I'm leaving to play finals football" Brown not there they should have heaps of cash.

Wasn't there a save our skins campaing way back when, those who live in glass houses. . .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suz 32 View Post
    I am with you Suz, as a former Fitzroy supporter I know the feeling and I would hate to see anyone go under. It's kinda like hoping for serious injuries for opposition players. I hope for suspensions instead

I even feel sorry for Port Adelaide who continue to struggle to pull crowds and get out of the red. As a Central District supporter and hater of all things Port that is suprising to even me.

Post Thanks / Like

We now have the so called power clubs of the past, Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond in the wars money wise.
    Essendon are the only power club to be in good hands still.

Must admit i do like to see these clubs being in strife after they have mouthed off about supporting other clubs for years, but no i dont want to see them disappear we need these clubs to hate.

Post Thanks / Like

Every club has their share of fickle supporters or supporters who put conditions on their memberships and if we weren't performing as well as we have been we would be in a similar position.
    We have been very fortunate that guys like Akermanis and Hall have been acquired cheaply especially given how many people signed up on the basis of these guys heading to the club.

I'd like to know how far the Tigers are behind two years ago? I think the Cousins factor last year just meant so many people jumped on earlier than they otherwise would.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my best mates is a Richmond supporter. He said he isn't buying a membership until he sees how they perform against Carlton in Round 1. He has been a member for the past 16-17 years.