Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs plan slow start

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 14 Jan

THE Western Bulldogs could be without six to eight of their best 22 in the NAB Cup opener in a development sure to shake up betting markets for the pre-season competition.

All of the Dogs' stars are on track for Round 1 of the regular season, but the club will take a cautious approach for its February 14 NAB Cup clash against the Brisbane Lions at Canberra.

The club traditionally fields strong teams in the first week of the NAB Cup, with TAB Sportsbet rating the Dogs a $7.50 chance to win the title, behind only Geelong ($4.60) and St Kilda ($5.50).

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs plan slow start

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    The club traditionally fields strong teams in the first week of the NAB Cup
    Really? I would have thought us having 6-8 of our best 22 for the first round of the NAB cup is par for the course. It's not like we ever go out with the intention of winning the thing.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Really? I would have thought us having 6-8 of our best 22 for the first round of the NAB cup is par for the course. It's not like we ever go out with the intention of winning the thing.
    I think the papers might be searching high and low for footy stories at the moment. I agree - 6 to 8 players missing would be about standard. Would rather see more of the fringe players going hammer and tong trying to impress anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

After all it is the plastic cup. Why would we risk anyone thats not 100% especially guys in the top 22. A perfect opportunity for the young guys 2 to 4 year players to step up and prove to rocket they're right to go for round 1. I think the mistake rocket made last year is that he didn't utilise the depth early enough in the season to see who he could have used late in the season for fresh legs. Give the young guns a run rocket!!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm heading up for the weekend, so hopefully I get to see Boumann run out in the red, white and blue.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'm heading up for the weekend, so hopefully I get to see Boumann run out in the red, white and blue.
    It would be great if he could debut (in a way) being Valentine's Day and all.... I wonder which love of your life would receive the flowers to celebrate the big day??

Post Thanks / Like

We would be mad not to try out some of our fringe and younger players. We need to get games into as many of them as we can while resting our older players for more important duties coming up.

i'd like to see these guys at least get a run;

Roughead - He's now our no.3 ruckman. He'll be needed if Hudson or Minson have to miss.

Markovic - He has replaced Wight on our list and is now our key defensive back up option. With Williams often absent he could become an important player.

Rose - 23yo lively small forward to give Johnno or Aker some cover

Moles - 24yo midfielder. he was picked for a reason so lets see him play.

Stack - had a taste last year with mixed results. An important year for him. He's the right age and perfectly built for a mid sized player. Time to shine.

Grant - Has to have a crack. just has to.

Hill - Would like to see him on a wing

Tiller - Similar position to Stack. He's the right age. Time has come.

Boumann - 2 years on the list making steady progress. I think we would all like to see how he goes.

Obviously we will be resting our injured or recovering players. We should also rest most of our 28+ players. we should still play most if not all our young veterans like Morris and Boyd along with rising stars like Higgins, Griffen, Harbrow and Everitt so we still field a strong younger team. hopefully some of the above players will do very well and make it difficult for some of the senior players to get back in. That's the way it should be.

Post Thanks / Like

Like most i don't think the Bulldogs really try too hard in the NAB Cup. But I do expect Brisbane to come out firing............but then when the season starts, that fire will quickly burn out!

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Stack, here's a pic from his appearance at the AFLPA induction camp this week.

Welcome to the gun show!

Time to take a cold shower Rocco...
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Moles - 24yo midfielder. he was picked for a reason so lets see him play.
    Can you play rookies?
    I would add Addison, Callan, Wood and Thorne into calculations
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogriff View Post
    Can you play rookies?
    I would add Addison, Callan, Wood and Thorne into calculations
    Yep no restrictions as far as I'm aware, would expect Moles, Daniels and Rose to play.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Fev will be playing in the NAB Cup opener... but no Brown.

Read all about it here

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Welcome to the gun show!
    His body has really taken shape hasn't it, he is looking like a very fit and strong athlete, very broad through the shoulders now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    His body has really taken shape hasn't it, he is looking like a very fit and strong athlete, very broad through the shoulders now.
    Yep, physically he's ready and he's had plenty of time to work on his game in the past few years at Williamstown. No excuses for Stack this year, football is a cut throat business these days and I think its make it or bust for Stack. I wish him all the best, I hope he can grab his opportunites and find greater consistency in his game as well as the ability to impact a game for longer periods. I guess he faces the same problems all young players do and that is minimizing the difference between their best and worst

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Roughead - He's now our no.3 ruckman. He'll be needed if Hudson or Minson have to miss.
    By all accounts, Minson's toe injury has not improved much at all since the end of last season, so there is a very good chance that our ruck depth will be tested in 2010.