Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The disturbing trend of my favourite players

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    I have seen aspects of Addison's game that show true potential, he is great at winning one on one contests and his toughness and aggression at the football is inspiring and uplifting for his teammates.

Similarly to the feedback Luke Ball was receiving he needs to focus on his ability to break from the contest and win the uncontested football as well as his usual contested ball. His skills can be hot and cold but I have seen him deliver some beautiful passes going forward, he needs to improve the difference between his best and worst kicks in order to cement a spot.
    Have to agree with a lot of your assesment Swoop. He started out a fair way back from a lot of his peers [ probably because of his NSW background]. But I think he is a work in progress. His skills are improving, his courage is terrific, his ability to find space is good. If his role is to continue to be as a defender, he still has a little way to go re controlling his opponent and blanketing them out of the game, but I reckon he is well worth persisting with if he continues to work on his reading of the play skills.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Addison mainly as a midfielder who has strong defensive skills and can play back at times however his lateral movement or lack of it worries me especially playing on quality players in the defensive 50.

I would compare his movement to someone like Matthew Robbins who athletically was very gifted but was prone to be turned inside out by the genuinely quick agile small forwards of the competition when played in defence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paulv View Post
    Have to agree with a lot of your assesment Swoop. He started out a fair way back from a lot of his peers [ probably because of his NSW background].
    Huh? He was a second round draft pick - just like Ward was.

Liam Picken? He started a fair way back as a rookie listed, mature(r) aged run-with player.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Huh? He was a second round draft pick - just like Ward was.

Liam Picken? He started a fair way back as a rookie listed, mature(r) aged run-with player.
    Wait, wait wait! Are you suggesting the football programs in the under-age NSW comp were as good as those Ward had with the Jets?

I think it's fair enough to suggest that Addison wouldn't have had the same developed game sense, and skill set that kids from more traditional footy backgrounds would have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    Wait, wait wait! Are you suggesting the football programs in the under-age NSW comp were as good as those Ward had with the Jets?

I think it's fair enough to suggest that Addison wouldn't have had the same developed game sense, and skill set that kids from more traditional footy backgrounds would have.
    Do you want my usual rant about drafting players from division 2 states?

I guess I was saying he wasn't coming from a long way back...as a 2nd rounder, he is at the front of the queue of draft picks and given every chance to succeed by the footy club.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Addison will be lucky to still be on an AFL list in 2011 - West Sydney might help him become an Eker.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawkinsWestMissy View Post
    I too have this syndrome... Cam Wight was my last tradgic decision, I am always sure they are going to make it! haha

Come on Jarrad Grant!
    We can tell by your user name you always supported the underdog.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Perhaps it's what they symbolize that draws you to these players. The honest battler who isn't as skilled as his peers but determined to make it and once they've made it they no longer symbolize someone trying to make the grade as they're established hence you're support is no longer required.

Mind you there's some fairly talented players in your list but I certainly do see a trend. Maybe there is some deeper psychological issues invovled, were you hugged as a child?
    Not enough. You offering?

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, thanks for so many considered and intelligent responses. In response to a few things that some of you said:
    MJP-I have Wood on the list because I've only really seen him up close at the preseason game against Essendon. He nailed someone (I think McVeigh?) in a really hard tackle right in front of me and I was impressed by his ferocity.
    Swoop and Lantern-I think maybe your assessments are closest to the mark.
    PaulV-Maybe
    DaDruid-I couldn't put Callan Ward on the list. Don't get me wrong, I love him. I just don't see him as a battler ever. He's a gun. My favourite Callan Ward moment (and there's so many good ones already) was when he chased down Hudghton and chested up to him in his first game. Great stuff.

So it can be no surprise to know that Addison is probably my favourite player right now, and I was pleased to feel all the love/positivity towards him. Except you SS, but your statement was only opinion, not bagging him, so that's fair enough.
    I do agree that as MJP stated he does need to find that something that sets him apart, but for mine there's always room in the 22 for someone with no fear at all. How do you mindfark a guy you can get no mental leverage over? I've always hoped that my fringe dwellers would go on and make it, but I'm especially hopeful that Dylan can, because I love the kid. Time will tell I guess, but I remain hopeful and optimistic.
    Cheers Gang.

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread DFA

There is nothing wrong with appreciating the guys who maybe aren't as talented but give it everything they have in pursuit of that elusive premiership for us Scrays

I think often a lot of the guys you have mentioned have been maligned by supporters but have given it everything they had.

We have a number of important players on our list, and in our side that once would have been thought to be battlers for a variety of reasons, but have willed themselves to become league footballers through effort and sheer tenacity

I'm hopeful that Addison can make the improvements needed to really take the next step

I am hopeful that a huge preseason getting his runing capacity up can help give him far more confidence, particularly in taking the game on, and making decisions with the footy in his hands

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you DFA, you stick with Dylan A., and I'll cheer right along with you.
    Well said B. Rev., I think you too have it just right.
    And good luck to DA, you just go for it son.

Post Thanks / Like

Born in '57 Been a Dog since I could talk. Does that mean I always support the Battler?
    There's 22 of our players on the field and they're all my favorites, even a 1st gamer.