Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldog Howard aiming for VFL start

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Just slightly off topic, who are the 'host families' interstate players are matched with? Are they club employees? Anyone know anything about them?
    Just ordinary folk Andrew.

I was approached by Gary O'Sullivan towards the end of 1994 & asked to host a new recruit, which I did for a year.

Lots of washing, but the biggest impact is on the grocery bill (the club assists) & diet. Never ate as much rice & pasta later in the week as I did in 1995.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Just ordinary folk Andrew.

I was approached by Gary O'Sullivan towards the end of 1994 & asked to host a new recruit, which I did for a year.

Lots of washing, but the biggest impact is on the grocery bill (the club assists) & diet. Never ate as much rice & pasta later in the week as I did in 1995.
    Cool, thanks for the info. I guess I'm a little far from Whitten Oval to get a call!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    Cooney, Griffen, Higgins, Ward, Gilbee, Giansiracusa, Cross, Lake, Morris, Harbrow, Boyd, Hargrave, Murphy, Hahn........
    In fairness, Cooney, Griffen, Murphy and Higgins were consensus first rounders - Cooney and Griffen were picked when we had basically finished last and had the pick of the crop...

Harbrow, Boyd and Morris were rookies.

Lake, Gilbee, Gia, Crossy, Ward and Mitch were those mid-range picks you need to hit to be successful - and it seems that we have. Time will tell whether or not the others in that category - everyone from this draft, as well as the likes of Reid, Addison, Boumann, Roughead, Wood, Jones, Stack, Hill etc - come through or not. If we have a good hit rate with those (assuming that we get something out of Everitt and Grant as high first rounders) then we will be recruiting geniuses. And will win lots of games.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    In fairness, Cooney, Griffen, Murphy and Higgins were consensus first rounders -
    Higgins wasn't. He wasn't as left-field as Howard but was generally considered to be likely in the 20-40 range.

That 10-20 range does have an awful lot of misses in it anyway so that in itself makes Higgins and Murphy fantastic picks. Both would be in the best couple of their drafts.

Post Thanks / Like

What sort of output would be a realistic aim for young Howard in his debut season?
    Playing close to a full season in the Williamstown senior side would rate very well wouldn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What sort of output would be a realistic aim for young Howard in his debut season?
    Playing close to a full season in the Williamstown senior side would rate very well wouldn't it?
    I think thats the right type of goal for Howard - Playing mostly senior VFL footy and preferrably having some good games.

I wont be concerned at all if he plays some reserves footy, particularly early as he gets his hip right. I think the main thing is for his development trajectory is to be injury free and heading in the right direction as the season progresses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    He wasn't as left-field as Howard
    Has any first rounder EVER been as left field as Howard?

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Molan?

Post Thanks / Like

Molan was touted as a player likely to go in the second or third 'rounds. His history of injury is reminiscent of Walsh.

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Molan?
    Yeah - maybe. But you had think hard to come up with him at least!

Post Thanks / Like

Higgins wasn't. He wasn't as left-field as Howard but was generally considered to be likely in the 20-40 range.

That 10-20 range does have an awful lot of misses in it anyway so that in itself makes Higgins and Murphy fantastic picks. Both would be in the best couple of their drafts.
    I had been under the impression that Higgins was fairly highly rated by most, and if it hadn't been for injury worries he would have probably been taken in the first half dozen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I had been under the impression that Higgins was fairly highly rated by most, and if it hadn't been for injury worries he would have probably been taken in the first half dozen.

That's how I remember it. Higgins was definitely touted as a potential first round pick in fact at least one side rated him in the first 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's how I remember it. Higgins was definitely touted as a potential first round pick in fact at least one side rated him in the first 6.
    Yes, the Hawks were surely very keen and having just checked the Burgatron from 2005, he named Higgins going to Hawthorn at Pick 6, but for some fortunate reason they selected Ellis and Dowler (along with Birchall, Bailey and Muston inside the top 22 ) and we walked away with Higgins.

Back on Howard, I think what you mentioned earlier GVGjr is spot on. A season in the VFL seniors would be a good goal, and as form/injuries dictate, perhaps an opportunity for a taste of AFL would be great, but by no means should that determine whether he had a successful season.

Post Thanks / Like

Have finally got around to watching teh replay of the 2009 U18 SANFL Grand FInal. Am about half way thru the second half and Howard's done nothing at all apart from a nice goal from a set shot.

Is a great game of footy to watch tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Williams?