Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Intra Club Practice Match - 6 Feb

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Darcy's timing was out for the most part of his career but he went alright

Thought he was a great footballer and I'd be pretty happy if Roughead could match his career.

Post Thanks / Like

With Picken I know Eade and the rest of the coaches were still looking for more improvement in his game, similarly to when Morris first broke into the side he was purely negating and you would cringe every time he had the ball but hopefully with more confidence & experience he can begin to accumulate some more football as well. His ability to kick a few goals while tagging last year was positive and it's always good to make a quality opponent think about going both ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Darcy's timing was out for the most part of his career but he went alright
    I thought he went alright in the ruck
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think he jumped too early in the centre square contests as a way of negating his opponents height advantage which made him look a bit awkward. That being said, I thought his mobility around the ground was a real bonus for our midfield.

I'd be happy if Roughead achieved a similar record.

Post Thanks / Like

HI All,

Went down on saturday and like others failed to account for the sun or the crowd.

What did others think of Panos and Markovic?? Watching the game I felt that at times they looked a step too slow for afl football. Did anyone else share that impression??

As a defensively minded supporter I was pleased to see Lake, Hargrave, Morris and Williams all moving well and defending strongly, I suppose it is in reference to them as well as young guys like Grant, Boumann and Jones that the lack of pace of Markovic in particular seemed to stand out.

On the other hand Mitch Hahn is no rocket ship but I thought his first half was fabulous.

Cheers
    SOLB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    He wasn't what you would call a clasical tapper of the ball, but more than made up for it around the ground.

His greatest skill in the ruck contest was his ability to push the opposing ruckman off balance and then grab the ball and deliver it our way. His use of this technique eventually lead to a rule change that we see in place today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shores of lake brian View Post
    HI All,

Went down on saturday and like others failed to account for the sun or the crowd.

What did others think of Panos and Markovic?? Watching the game I felt that at times they looked a step too slow for afl football. Did anyone else share that impression??
    I agree they looked a step slow but I'm not sure if it will limit their chances if they are in good form. Markovic is on the senior list so if the right match-ups can be for him I'm sure he will be played.

Lets hope Panos has strong hands and can just show improvement throughout the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shores of lake brian View Post
    HI All,

As a defensively minded supporter I was pleased to see Lake, Hargrave, Morris and Williams all moving well and defending strongly, I suppose it is in reference to them as well as young guys like Grant, Boumann and Jones that the lack of pace of Markovic in particular seemed to stand out.

On the other hand Mitch Hahn is no rocket ship but I thought his first half was fabulous.

Cheers
    SOLB
    I didn't know who Panos was. All the new blokes, without them having numbers - I had no idea who they were - however I did recognise Markovic.

Too be honest, I wasn't impressed at all. I thought he looked 'wooden' and slow.

Post Thanks / Like

The lack of numbers did make it pretty difficult especially with the new guys, it took me a while to figure out who many of them were. Although with Moles getting leather poisoning in the second half I started to recognise him pretty quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He wasn't what you would call a clasical tapper of the ball, but more than made up for it around the ground.

His greatest skill in the ruck contest was his ability to push the opposing ruckman off balance and then grab the ball and deliver it our way. His use of this technique eventually lead to a rule change that we see in place today.
    Beat me to it Mantis

My thoughts exactly.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

They are my thoughts too.

For Darcy to make this work he needed good timing to bump at the right time(and as GVGjr said he timed his jump early to negate his lack of height) and knock the other ruck off balance, then if the ball hit the ground we now he was as good as any ruck in this situation.

Darcy's timing wasn't out IMO, it's just he had a different timing to most rucks. And this is one of the reasons he struggled so much in his comeback from two knee reco's. If that makes sense.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for your reports, a terrific read and great to hear all the positives at this time, with the season now just a short distance away.

Seems like we are going to have a lot of players pushing for senior selection which is great, competition for spots should ensure that everyone is doing everything in their power to maintain their position in the team, or break into the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    With Picken I know Eade and the rest of the coaches were still looking for more improvement in his game, similarly to when Morris first broke into the side he was purely negating and you would cringe every time he had the ball but hopefully with more confidence & experience he can begin to accumulate some more football as well. His ability to kick a few goals while tagging last year was positive and it's always good to make a quality opponent think about going both ways.

I've always thought of Picken as pretty handy with the football. Perhaps takes the safe option more than he should but can't really knock him for that. I see him as Boyd mach 2 in a way. give him time and he'll come on in the offensive respect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    I've always thought of Picken as pretty handy with the football. Perhaps takes the safe option more than he should but can't really knock him for that. I see him as Boyd mach 2 in a way. give him time and he'll come on in the offensive respect.
    I tend to agree. Not only did he bob up for a few goals last season, he also delivered a few nice balls to forwards in good spots.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have the time I used to to logon to woof but I try as much as I can. Couldn't get to the match on the weekend so thanks to all who contributed to the thread and great to read all the reports from the day. Keep up the good work Woofers.