Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First year knock back

I'm sad today to say that Seb won't be playing his first year of team footy this year. He applied to play for the Waverley Blues under 9's side but we heard from the EFL that they will not accept his registration because he misses the cut off by 6 days!
    The cut off for under 9's was date of birth 2002 and Seb was born 6/1/2003. Even though he is already 7 and in grade 2 - that same as all the other boys in the team, just that he won't turn 8 until 6 days into the next year!

I haven't told him yet, but he'll be so dissapointed. Especially since he played a practice match with them last year.

I guess it's back to auskick for one more year....which in the long run will be a good thing and will give him a chance to grow his confidence and skills for next year! AND we will still have our sunday mornings free for another year LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First year knock back

That's too bad. At least he'll be an older more developed kid instead of being younger and less developed.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it doesn't matter where they draw a line, someone is going to fall just short of it. If the cut off was 16 February, then as sure as eggs some kid born on 17 February would feel aggrieved.

At least they let you know early enough. When TCP started playing footy in the under 9's, one kid paid his rego, bought club socks & shorts & only got told a week before the season started that he wasn't old enough.

Some clown on the committee then suggested his Dad write to the club seeking a refund of fees!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

He will be much better for it.

l know it will be hard for him but it will be better to be the oldest and not the youngest player in the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Move to QLD, my son played under 12's when he was 10 and on a regular basis we would play younger kids up an age group just to make up numbers.
    Once kids start to play full rules and ground sizes the numbers drop off.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was born on 31/12/93 and has to now compete in the Under 18's Flatwater Kayaking, even though she is only one day away from continuing in the under 16's. Makes it difficult as some girls will be turning 18 this year, infact one Qld girl is 18 on the 6th January. There is a big difference in size and strength in the teens.

Can Seb play in a different comp? Can you change is birthday or lie about his birth
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs Bollocks View Post
    He will be much better for it.

l know it will be hard for him but it will be better to be the oldest and not the youngest player in the team.

Gotta agree with TDB, I was 14 days away as a junior from the age cut-off back in the old FDFL. Did find myself a lot fitter and stronger than many others, just didn't have have any talent or skill or right foot or overhead mark or.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaDruid View Post
    [/I][/B]
    just didn't have have any talent or skill or right foot or overhead mark or.........
    Like most of us, I would have been a great footballer if I was bigger, taller and stronger....Had to settle for table tennis
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I read an article a while back about how kids were more successful in sport if they were born early in the year. The logic was that they were older and bigger than most of the others so they were that little bit more developed so they were a little bit more confident.

These early successes gave them more encouragement which led to more practice which made then a little better which encouraged them a little more ...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been involved in junior footy administration & coaching for years; and agree with all the above.

One more year in Auskick would be the best thing for sure.

He'll get a lot more confident at his own abilities and will be raring to go in 12 months.

Post Thanks / Like

The only downside is there's one less year (from a potential 3) of U-18s. But if he's drafted he won't want to play U-18s anyway

Post Thanks / Like

All very very true, and I agree with everything said.
    Seb was a shocked and dissapointed when we told him. But once we explained he'll still do auskick he was fine, especially that this year it'll be a bit more full on in the skills department.
    Infact even Seb pointed out that the grade 2 auskick coach is the under 9's coach anyway and so it'll be a bit like training and gives longer for the coach to get to know him and his skills.
    He has spent the rest of the day asking me time and time again "when do I go back to auskick again?" It's gonna be a long 2 months I think!!!

Post Thanks / Like

All the best to young Seb and we do hope he will don the real Bulldogs jumper one day.

Having done a little coaching its about leearning and keeping it fresh.
    If you have a good Auskick coach he will make it enjoyable for young Seth and possilbly making it more fun than a game.
    No rush to get into a Doggie jumper.

My youngest pup has always been the youngest in his team and was looking forward to being a senior player this season and the comp has changed the age to under 14.5 so he has another year with his brother and is not to impressed.
    Last edited by KT31; 27-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not be too worried about young Seb missing out next year. He has plenty of time to enjoy his footy. Auskick is a good fun program for kids his age.

The can be a high drop off of kids who start footy too young and get sick of it.

I recall that the parents of Mark Mercuri of Essendon would not allow him to play footy untill about under 14, so it does not hurt.

I hope continues to love the game as he gets older.

Post Thanks / Like

As a kid I was alot taller/heavier then the other kids so I dominated Auskick. My mum wouldn't let me play real footy until under 16/17's I think. I was still bigger than alot of the kids but had no clue what the hell I was spose to be doing out there. Still to this day can kick to kick with the best of them but have no idea how to kick on the run