Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Recovered Murphy a 'different man'

By Mic Cullen
    9:45 AM Wed 27 January, 2010

WESTERN Bulldogs assistant coach Paul Williams says forward Robert Murphy is unrecognisable from the player severely hampered by injury last pre-season.

Murphy had enjoyed a fine campaign as the Dogs advanced to the 2008 preliminary final, but then required knee surgery and spent the summer dragging himself around Whitten Oval.

Read the rest here

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recovered Murphy a 'different man'

Thanks Mantis.

I posted this on the thread about training resuming:

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Just spoke with Murph at the EMW Day & he said that he's feeling the best he has in years with his knee. He had a cyst removed & said he feels like his old self!
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's been so long since we've seen Murph running around at 100% we actually forget how genuinely talented he is. I look forward to seeing him this upcoming season, he may actually be our best 'recruit'.

Post Thanks / Like

This is brilliant news.

At full fitness I think Murphy is behind only Cooney as our most talented player (taking BJ and Aker's age into account). He is such a hard match up for sides, and such a clever and hard working player - just a huge bonus for us if he stays fit.

Post Thanks / Like

Gee this sounds like good news. Murph's ability to hit up a player in the forward line is outstanding. You could really see how it hurt us last year when he wasnt in the side.

Barry Hall must be licking his lips thinking about the delivery he will get from the likes of Cooney, Murphy, Griffin, Gilbee and Higgins.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Gee this sounds like good news. Murph's ability to hit up a player in the forward line is outstanding. You could really see how it hurt us last year when he wasnt in the side.

Barry Hall must be licking his lips thinking about the delivery he will get from the likes of Cooney, Murphy, Griffin, Gilbee and Higgins.
    Really?

Personally I think this is one area of Murf's game that needs to improve. I find that he plays on and then 'bombs' the ball to the 'hot spot' far too often when perhaps he should work hard off the mark and try and spot up a leading player as suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

I love his agility on the lead, and ability to turn and go quickly once he's got it

I'd like to see him hurt teams on the scoreboard more and have his career best goal kicking year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Really?

Personally I think this is one area of Murf's game that needs to improve. I find that he plays on and then 'bombs' the ball to the 'hot spot' far too often when perhaps he should work hard off the mark and try and spot up a leading player as suggested.
    I tend to agree with you Mantis. Too often he wheels around and puts himself under pressure by playing on, and as such doesn't give himself ample time to spot the best option and ensure he executes as well as he can.

The bullet he put on Josh Hill's chest vs Geelong however...

Back on the general topic, I think Murph really needs a big season, as he has become somewhat of an enigma. His best is very good, but we simply haven't seen it consistently for a while that most (myself included) have him probably down the talent pecking order.

It was only a couple of years ago that Clayton rated Murphy as the best player he had drafted during his time with the Dogs, and at that stage it included a pretty impressive list of guys including then future-Brownlow Medalist Adam Cooney.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I tend to agree with you Mantis. Too often he wheels around and puts himself under pressure by playing on, and as such doesn't give himself ample time to spot the best option and ensure he executes as well as he can.

The bullet he put on Josh Hill's chest vs Geelong however...
    I see that one as being the exception not the rule, but it was a cracking pass. It would be great if Murf could lay a few more of these on rather than once a year.

Agree with the rest of your post (even though I deleted it). Murf is an outrageously talented player and I too hope he can produce the goods for us this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I see that one as being the exception not the rule, but it was a cracking pass. It would be great if Murf could lay a few more of these on rather than once a year.
    At the time I was sure it was a mis-kick as I wrote on here after the game! On replay I was slightly less convinced, but yes, I do agree that it's the exception not the general standard. He has the ability to do it more consistently, so hopefully with his knee in order we can expect some more well directed bullets in 2010.

Charlie the Wonder Dog Guest

I agree with all the posters so far that Murph's disposal into the forward 50 has left a little to be desired over the 2008 - 2009 seasons.

However, I am wondering whether the knee issues he has been suffering for all of that period have restricted him from kicking with the fluency I recall him having pre 2008??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    At the time I was sure it was a mis-kick as I wrote on here after the game! On replay I was slightly less convinced, but yes, I do agree that it's the exception not the general standard. He has the ability to do it more consistently, so hopefully with his knee in order we can expect some more well directed bullets in 2010.
    I did too. Had a strange trajectory for mine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie the Wonder Dog View Post

However, I am wondering whether the knee issues he has been suffering for all of that period have restricted him from kicking with the fluency I recall him having pre 2008??
    Possibly, but my main issue has been with his decision making rather than execution. I guess he might not have the confidence to deliver the ball with precision so prefers the long bomb option rather than trying to pin-point a pass and have it intercepted or fail to hit the desired target.

Post Thanks / Like

Really?

I couldn't agree more, his propensity for playing on reached almost obsession in 2009. I would much rather he get back on the mark quickly and then try an pinpoint a leading forward rather than playing on and bombing it to the hotspot. I also notice he’s developed an affinity with swinging onto his left foot which he tends to spoon high and without penetration.

Does anyone know which knee was the troublesome one? Might be the reason for his reluctance to kick on his right foot.

As for the OP, if we have an injury free Murph playing the lead up CHF role with improved disposal, then it makes us a much more difficult proposition to man up on.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I think his proclivity to play on from the mark is a strength. It creates movement in our forward line and uncertainty amongst the defenders. Of course that is conditional upon his ability to hit targets, which has been missing over the last two years. If his knee is really better, then his ability to quickly sum up the situation and hit targets under pressure should return and given that, I hope his play on at all costs approach continues.