Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recovered Murphy a 'different man'

Short memories guys.

I think a few here saw Murphy butchering the ball in that final last year (with his leg numb from the jabs he'd had) and saying his kicking is a problem.

Murphy's kicking over his career has been first class.

Post Thanks / Like

There's two sides to Robert Murphy and his willingness to play on at all costs, for one it is unpredictable, aggressive, positive and encourages movement by our forwards. It also doesn't allow time for the opposition to push back into the defense and therefore means we are more likely to find a one on one contest in our forward 50.

The flip side is that opposition players are very clever and with the amount of footage available teams pick up on these small habits and are prepared for him to play on, just as teams devised a plan to curb Buddy and his willingness to swing around on the left. The fact that he is always looking to play on and teams are expecting him to do so actually mean his 'unpredictability' is in fact doing the exact opposite because the opposition is expecting him to play on and are prepared for it.

More than anything the biggest problem with this tactic is his execution and no doubt his injury has impaired his ability to finish like he would like to and like he has in the past. What's more frustrating is that as a player he hasn't identified how the injury has affected this aspect of his game and modified it accordingly.

In 2010 I look forward to seeing Murphy doing more of the same but with better execution as he will be minus the knee injury and I am confident in his skills when fully fit. I would like to see him use the left foot less especially after he has taken a mark and has the option to go back and use his preferred foot with time however again this may have more to do with his injury affecting him. All in all he needs to be able to show more variety in this area of his game so he isn't as predictable to defend and negate.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he continues to play on every time. Fast ball movement leads to one on one contests further afield...and one on one contests lead to goals.

The second he starts holding the game up to 'assess options' is the moment we start going backwards...that ridiculous slow ball movement against St Kilda in the 2nd quarter cost us more than not having a 'tall' forward did...you have to risk looking like an utter goose in order to break the game open. Murphy has the guts to do exactly that.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I hope he continues to play on every time. Fast ball movement leads to one on one contests further afield...and one on one contests lead to goals.

The second he starts holding the game up to 'assess options' is the moment we start going backwards...that ridiculous slow ball movement against St Kilda in the 2nd quarter cost us more than not having a 'tall' forward did...you have to risk looking like an utter goose in order to break the game open. Murphy has the guts to do exactly that.
    I agree, hope he keeps doing it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post

Around the field maybe but he isn't as reliable from set shots as he should be. Overall I think his kicking skills are just short on first class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

I agree. Wouldn't mind betting that the Coach does too.

Post Thanks / Like

Short memories guys.

I think a few here saw Murphy butchering the ball in that final last year (with his leg numb from the jabs he'd had) and saying his kicking is a problem.
    I think most here can agree his kicking in general has not been terrific since his initial knee injury in 2006. Yes, he was dreadful in that final, but his kicking hasn't been to the high standard expected of Murph for a significantly longer period imo.

Quote Originally Posted by mjp
    I don't disagree that we need that unpredictability and quickness of ball movement to score goals, but surely Murph would be far more dangerous if he took a second or 2 longer, got behind the mark quickly and spotted up a good option, or at least have area's where he knows fast leading players will be heading to, rather than bombing long to what is normally an out-numbered contest anyway, if we even have someone that deep in the 'hot spot'.

Barry Hall may allow these 'hot spot' kicks' more often perhaps, but at times we just need to be a bit smarter with our ball use. Geelong move it very quickly, but I rarely see their players turn blind and roost a ball to a hot spot without first weighing up their options...

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody really think that Murphy's penchant for playing on arises from anything but team rules?

It might just be that if this action was considered not in the best interests of the side, Rocket would ban it.

With respect to his kicking, his effectiveness has been limited due to the injury. The article which started this discussion pointed that out and he is now injury free.

That being the case, it is not unreasonable to assume his kicking will return to his normal standard which in my view was first rate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJ Smith View Post
    Does anybody really think that Murphy's penchant for playing on arises from anything but team rules?

It might just be that if this action was considered not in the best interests of the side, Rocket would ban it.
    I think you're probably spot on with this point, much like when Griff gets the ball the directive appears to be, take them on at all costs, every time.

If it is a team rule, I'd argue that it can cause more problems than it solves. Teams are aware of it, it puts our players under extra pressure and often results in turnovers that cost goals. A ban is probably not warranted, but more selective use of the tactic is what most seem to be suggesting here, which I think is a reasonable suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I think you're probably spot on with this point, much like when Griff gets the ball the directive appears to be, take them on at all costs, every time.

If it is a team rule, I'd argue that it can cause more problems than it solves. Teams are aware of it, it puts our players under extra pressure and often results in turnovers that cost goals. A ban is probably not warranted, but more selective use of the tactic is what most seem to be suggesting here, which I think is a reasonable suggestion.
    I dont think it causes more problem than it solves. All it does is causes more one-on-one footy and less flooding back. And with the small forward line it was important to only have one-on-ones and back our small forwards on the lead.

I agree now they should be using a more selective use of the rule with Hall in the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Really?
    Short memories guys.

^^^^^^
    What Jim said.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    I dont think it causes more problem than it solves. All it does is causes more one-on-one footy and less flooding back.
    Geelong & the Saints employ a zone, ditto Adelaide. If we wait too long before disposal they set the zone up & then we're in trouble. Fast ball movement is the new black.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Geelong & the Saints employ a zone, ditto Adelaide. If we wait too long before disposal they set the zone up & then we're in trouble. Fast ball movement is the new black.
    And if the zone is already in place?

Murf has made a habit out of bombing the ball to Johnson & Hahn even when they are out-numbered.... It just kills there bodies having to compete in these situations. It may change a little with Hall being down there, but Hall isn't a pack-marking type so he will be the type of player Murf will hopefully be able to 'spot up' this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Murf has made a habit out of bombing the ball to Johnson & Hahn even when they are out-numbered.... It just kills there bodies having to compete in these situations. It may change a little with Hall being down there, but Hall isn't a pack-marking type so he will be the type of player Murf will hopefully be able to 'spot up' this year.
    That's an excellent point you make there Mantis with regards to Barry Hall. I've noticed recently a lot of people referring to Hall as a long bomb option but the reality is he is a lead up player. Obviously he has the strength to compete with any opposition defender but I think Eade would not encourage any of our players to be kicking forward in hope and would in fact encourage players to go back and keep posession instead of bombing, praying and allowing a third man to affect a contest.

Finally, the long bomb is one of the main reasons for Hall's frustration at Sydney, their refusal to move the ball quickly and hit him on the lead led to him being continously frustrated at the slow movement and numbers dropping back in front of him. I would think he would be looking forward to the quick ball movement and precision passing that the bulldogs offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed

But, by definition, if Murphy in a lead up role, takes the mark and then plays on, it will be unlikely that the zone will already be in place. In this situation, he should have a forward set-up which allows whoever is up there (it won't always be Hall) to be one out with their opponent(s)

I see a fit Murphy as big a bonus as the presence of Hall this year.