Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recovered Murphy a 'different man'

This has been a bloody good thread to read. Everyone has their own opinion and none of them are necessarily wrong.

I cant wait to see how Murphy goes in 2010 and will be keeping a close eye on him. He is a talented player and hopefully we can see him playing well again before he retires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    This has been a bloody good thread to read. Everyone has their own opinion and none of them are necessarily wrong.
    Of course someone is wrong. That is the nature of things...the reality is though that all of our debate is based around what happened in 2009 - there is going to be a new wrinkle in the game this year that none of us have foreseen that will throw another spanner into the works.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    My two cents:

Guys who can kick a goal from 60+ out become quite valuable. We've all seen the set play outside the 50 where Lindsay on quite a few occassions bobs up to take a short handpass from a half-forward and kick for goal. The deeper and deeper teams clog up space the more important these NAB-cup 9-point super-goals become.

Also goal-scoring midfielders -- ala Gablett, Bartel, Coons, Boydy -- become worth their weight in gold. Griff had three shots in the second quarter of the prelim after running at/around/through the zone that just missed. If any of those had gone in the Dogs' momentum would have been huge.
    Lantern, unfortunately alot of our guys had shots at the goals in that game, and the game against the cats. however they didn't kick through the ball. They kicked that ridiculous dribble kick that "If it goes through it's a Blinder" but if it doesn't. Well i don't think I need to say more apart from better do better this year

Na I will say more.

we use an OVAL Ball.
    once it s kicked there is NO control over it
    Therefore if you kick it along the grond it will bounce where ever it pleases.
    therefore, if you want to kick it though the goals, Kick the ****en thing straight through them, not along the ground. COZ IT WILL BOUNCE AWAY
    Last edited by Twodogs; 30-01-2010 at 02:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shnookie View Post
    Actually, you can make it roll exactly the way you want too if you practice it...That is the beauty of the oval ball - you can make it turn. More than that, sometimes it is the only way to get it through the goals. We do a pre-training drill where the players have to kick the ball around a 400m track without it going outside of a single lane.

That said, a straight kick should just be kicked through the goals as you suggest - no need to bounce it in the square.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

we use an OVAL Ball.
    therefore, if you want to kick it though the goals, Kick the ****en thing straight through them, not along the ground. COZ IT WILL BOUNCE AWAY

Nope, cant agree with that. Like Mike says above the fact that the ball is oval means that good players can make the ball 'talk'. Heck even I can stand in my lounge room and kick a footy through my bedroom door (which is basically at a right angle) by caressing the point of the ball with the outside of my foot.

It's just a matter of getting the technique (timing, ball drop and hitting the ball with the correct part of the foot) right and the rest takes care of itself.

PS Let's make this the last time you avoid the swear filter-please just write the word as it's spelled correctly. The grown ups amongst will understand the context and those that dont probably shouldnt be exposed to it!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    How are they countering it?

The only way you can counter a quick play-on is by getting numbers back...if the opposition are countering by doing that as you suggest then we have taken too long to get the ball to Murphy.
    By zoning off their direct opponents as they know where the ball is going to be kicked.

I am in agreeance with what you are saying re: quick ball movement, and I guess you can't have it both ways, but I would like to see Murphy use his good kicking skills too our advantage rather than just kicking the ball in hope which I feel he has a tendency to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    ....he spoke after the Prelim about us getting tired towards the end and just going back to bad habits like bombing it blindly in to the hotspot, and ....
    It happened so consistently, I thought the players must have been under instruction, perhaps a percentage thing, it only needed someone to take a mark and goal and the game was won. It might be different this year, though. A fast Murphy long ball into the path of a moving Hall, giving him a run at the ball with Aker and Higgins lurking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D Mitchell View Post
    It happened so consistently, I thought the players must have been under instruction, perhaps a percentage thing, it only needed someone to take a mark and goal and the game was won. It might be different this year, though. A fast Murphy long ball into the path of a moving Hall, giving him a run at the ball with Aker and Higgins lurking.
    Lets not forget Johnno and Gia.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

I seem to remember Murphy leading the competition in goal assists a few years back. If he gets his kicking back to it's best he is going to be extremely important to us. Having both Cooney and Murphy a little hampered last year hurt us a fair bit because I'd probably rate them up in our most important players with Lake obviously the most important cog of the side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    I seem to remember Murphy leading the competition in goal assists a few years back. If he gets his kicking back to it's best he is going to be extremely important to us. Having both Cooney and Murphy a little hampered last year hurt us a fair bit because I'd probably rate them up in our most important players with Lake obviously the most important cog of the side.
    I imagine that was Gia.

Post Thanks / Like

we use an OVAL Ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

It's just a matter of getting the technique (timing, ball drop and hitting the ball with the correct part of the foot) right and the rest takes care of itself.

Just to further my point;

http://heraldsun.youlegend.com.au/

Open the link and click on the video called "Seven worm burners in a row"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.