Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Staging crackdown

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...018851,00.html

Well overdue in my opinion, but unfortunately a little too late to discourage a well-known knee buckling Saint in the Prelim.

I thought this one was quite funny:
    * The league will not report players in intra-club games, except for incidents involving umpires.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Staging crackdown

To be honest, when they presented this on the news and showed examples of players diving, I was expecting Johnno to come up at some point.
    For those interested, they utilised the acting talents of Alan Didak, Buddy Franklin and Stephen Milne.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how effective it will be, if the umps keep encouraging a player to stage(ie Riewodlt in the prelim).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    To be honest, when they presented this on the news and showed examples of players diving, I was expecting Johnno to come up at some point.
    For those interested, they utilised the acting talents of Alan Didak, Buddy Franklin and Stephen Milne.
    He got a fair old bollocking on some talk back radio yesterday.
    The AFL often get criticized for changing the rules but this is one that needed to be looked at. Lets see if they can get this one right.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL get critisized for because every year there are new rules, interpretations, or an emphasis on... (actually this happens almost weekly during the season).
    This is 1 of 7 I believe.
    This rule is only there cos the umpires don't have a clue. If they governed it properly then it wouldn't be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    This rule is only there cos the umpires don't have a clue. If they governed it properly then it wouldn't be an issue.
    Of course it's the umpires fault.

Any chance that it may be the fault of the players that are doing the staging.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry mate. My grievance is really that the 5 incidences highlighted by the afl in the staging crackdown, well if an ump in a game can't see it's staging then he shouldn't be umpiring. It's the Riewodlt type incidents they should be cracking down on.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont agree with this rule, once more we have to have a grey rule. How the hell can umpires control a game with so many rules.

How can any one prove that a player is staging. What if Lakes bump on Rievolt was hard and he went down, and then was pinged for staging.

Sorry, the game is already over governed, don't need more dodgy decisions made.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dont agree with this rule, once more we have to have a grey rule. How the hell can umpires control a game with so many rules.

The one thing about this rule is that the umpires don't have to worry about it during the game (other than getting the decision correct). Any consequences for diving will be dealt with after the game. Obviously if the umpire knows that a player has acted during the game, then he will not award a free kick.

And "back in the good old days" the umpire would have told the player to get up off the ground and stop staging.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    And "back in the good old days" the umpire would have told the player to get up off the ground and stop staging.
    and whats wrong with sticking to the good old days. Can't believe the administrators, Anderson says, its not a problem in our game but we don't want it to become one. As I said, they won't be able to prove that someone staged.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Stephen Milne example they showed was pretty conclusive.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, place your bets..... What player will be the first to be found guilty on staging??

I'm going with Franklin!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll say Didak(or maybe Johnno).
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Brent Harvey still playing?

Post Thanks / Like

No one. Never be used as its too hard to prove.