Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Staging crackdown

I read an article in The Australian stating that Ryan Griffen was the 1st player to be investigated for diving this year, in our NAB Cup semi final win against Port when he got a free kick anf 50m penalty in the 1st quarter.

In the end nothing happened as there was contact to Griffen who then exaggerated the effect of the contact. The AFL's mandate on this is to penalise players who fall over when there is no contact at all, not those who exaggerate contact.

Post Thanks / Like

Gray of Port had two goes tonight. Razor Ray laughed at him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I read an article in The Australian stating that Ryan Griffen was the 1st player to be investigated for diving this year, in our NAB Cup semi final win against Port when he got a free kick anf 50m penalty in the 1st quarter.

In the end nothing happened as there was contact to Griffen who then exaggerated the effect of the contact. The AFL's mandate on this is to penalise players who fall over when there is no contact at all, not those who exaggerate contact.
    And kicked a goal out of it.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Is there a difference between staging and exaggerating, in other words, many times players make the free kick look obvious by exaggerating the fall or push etc, but the free was there anyway? How will these ones be handled, as I think Johnno falls into this category.
    Bornadog, you raise an interesting point. A player who 'over emphasises' what they perceive to be an infrigement to them may well be viewed by others as 'staging'.

I suspect the league would only come down on those players where there was no free there in the first place. However players who do tend to over emphasise would want to make sure there was a legitimate free there in the first instance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Alan Didak just breathed a sigh of relief that he wasn't the first.
    Aker should try and keep his mouth shut about which opposition players stage. He mentioned Didak & Cornes.