Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Coaches under the pump?

Which of the current coaches would need their sides to get off to reasonable starts to make sure the rumor mills and the media don't crucify them much like what happened to Terry Wallace?

The two that spring to mind are:

Mark Williams - despite signing another contract (reduced) surely Choco doesn't have a lot of credits still in the bank especially given his relationship with the Port board. Perhaps the financial crisis might be a blessing for him.

Mark Harvey - Fremantle surely could not afford to get off to a disappointing start and keep Harvey in the chair. Their list is far better than their on field performances so I can't see how Harvey could survive a slow start.

Any others?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coaches under the pump?

Brett Ratten. Many Carlton fans have him in the gun after losing that final to Brisbane last year where they felt he failed to respond to Brisbane's midfield ascendancy.

Dean Bailey wouldn't want to be 0 & 7 either.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with Choco, Harvey and Bailey. Reckon at least one will go before the halfway mark of the season.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Mark Williams - despite signing another contract (reduced) surely Choco doesn't have a lot of credits still in the bank especially given his relationship with the Port board. Perhaps the financial crisis might be a blessing for him.
    I don't understand his re-appointment at all.

They can't afford to sack him, they lost another $2.6mil again this year, but then they have Dean Laidley sitting behind him holding one of those old fashioned style straps that they used to use to sharpen knives.

Post Thanks / Like

Malthouse wouldn't want to go off to a bad start either, as we know anything to do with Collingwood is over exaggerated in the media and with Buckley waiting in the wings.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I don't understand his re-appointment at all.

They can't afford to sack him, they lost another $2.6mil again this year, but then they have Dean Laidley sitting behind him holding one of those old fashioned style straps that they used to use to sharpen knives.
    I think they have thrown a lot of money and support behind Williams to allow him to re-build his coaching and development group.

He's a pretty good coach imo, but I think their middle aged players are shakey at best. Their recruiting has improved a lot over the past few years, but I think they'll struggle again, mainly because of the quality of the cattle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    I think they have thrown a lot of money and support behind Williams to allow him to re-build his coaching and development group.

He's a pretty good coach imo, but I think their middle aged players are shakey at best. Their recruiting has improved a lot over the past few years, but I think they'll struggle again, mainly because of the quality of the cattle.
    I agree that he is a very good coach but I don't think he was a good re-appointment for them because a premiership coach must be accountable for the state of his playing list and the performances on the field.
    The list hasn't shaped up and I think they have missed a great chance to move him on especially given his uneasy relationship with the board.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark Harvey - Fremantle surely could not afford to get off to a disappointing start and keep Harvey in the chair. Their list is far better than their on field performances so I can't see how Harvey could survive a slow start.
    Can Freo get less relevant in 2010. I don't know anyone who thinks Harvey is a good coach. I wonder what the Freo players think.

I thought they unearthed some good kids in 09, but it seems to be the best they ever do, and signing McPhee to a 3 year deal seemed ridiculous to me. Sure he might help sell a few men for all seasons calenders, but is he actually much use on the field?

Hard to see how they are building, and personally I don't think Harvey is the man for a re-building project.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that he is a very good coach but I don't think he was a good re-appointment for them because a premiership coach must be accountable for the state of his playing list and the performances on the field.
    The list hasn't shaped up and I think they have missed a great chance to move him on especially given his uneasy relationship with the board.
    True, but I think they have the younger players there now.

With Hocking and Laidely on board they really should be able to quickly develop a bunch of players such as Boak, Gray, Hartlett, Krakouer, Trengove, Broadbent, Moore and a few others who are all quality kids who'll improve their side.

If Williams isn't re-appointed again in a few years time, someone is going to inherit a very good list I feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Brett Ratten. Many Carlton fans have him in the gun after losing that final to Brisbane last year where they felt he failed to respond to Brisbane's midfield ascendancy.

Dean Bailey wouldn't want to be 0 & 7 either.
    I pray that he stays at Carlton for as long as possible, the longer he is there the longer they will not do anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post
    Can Freo get less relevant in 2010. I don't know anyone who thinks Harvey is a good coach. I wonder what the Freo players think.

I thought they unearthed some good kids in 09, but it seems to be the best they ever do, and signing McPhee to a 3 year deal seemed ridiculous to me. Sure he might help sell a few men for all seasons calenders, but is he actually much use on the field?

Hard to see how they are building, and personally I don't think Harvey is the man for a re-building project.
    I must be out of my mind but I actually think Freo will do quite well this year and get around 9-10 wins.

Post Thanks / Like

Slightly off topic but with regards to Freo I feel sorry for Pavlich more than anyone, it's a shame we haven't seen him get to perform in a big game final.

I have heard feedback from a friend who attended a coaching course with Harvey a few years ago while at Essendon and they didn't come out of it thinking very highly of him or his knowledge of the game. Having said that I have heard lots of players refer to him and his time at Essendon as being a big influence in their careers, something about him doesn't inspire confidence but that's purely perception.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I must be out of my mind but I actually think Freo will do quite well this year and get around 9-10 wins.
    Even 9-10 won't get them finals which I believe would Harvey under extra pressure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post

Agree strongly. I reckon that Ratten's a dud.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    they have Dean Laidley sitting behind him holding one of those old fashioned style straps that they used to use to sharpen knives.

The leather straps are called strops and you hone knives, not sharpen them.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.