Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

NAB Cup - Other Teams Games

As most people thought West Coast a home were much too strong for Essendon, running out 35 point winners.

Anyone see much of the game?

I saw bits & pieces. Right on half time the ball was touched by an Essendon defender towards the goal post. It went between the goal umpires legs onto the post & stopped just before the goal line. Andrew Embley then soccered it through. The goal umpire said the balled stopped without crossing the line & awarded a goal. It was shown on the big screen & a field umpire saw it clearly hit the post & ran in & the decision to award the goal was overturned.

So, the right decision ensued. I suppose it begs the question of a) video or b) '3rd umpire' being used. I don't mind if it means they get a decision right, but I wouldn't like to see them use it here & there. I think it has to be consistent in its use.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: NAB Cup - Other Teams Games

Sorry Baz I didn't see it but its really difficult to get enthusiastic about the NAB cup especially when your team isn't playing.
    The result is pretty much what I expected. Essendon take the NAB cup seriously but they aren't much chop and in WA, it was always going to be tough for them. Hear Natanui played well, is that just the media hype as I don't think much of the Bombers ruck stocks?

Post Thanks / Like

I thought in the NAB cup, if it post and remains on the field, its still in play?

Post Thanks / Like

I watched a fair bit of it and two things stood out to me.
    Essendon still are still playing an overly attacking brand of footy to be a top side.
    West Coast will be one of the bigger improvers this season. They are a very strong bodied side and with a good balance of talls and smalls.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    I thought in the NAB cup, if it post and remains on the field, its still in play?
    Thats what i thought as well, unless they scrapped that rule.

Post Thanks / Like

I was out at a family BBQ last night, kind of bobbed my head in from time to time between drinks to have a bit of a look, wasn't overally interested, just more interested to have a look at the new players, such as Mark Williams at Essendon etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    West Coast will be one of the bigger improvers this season. They are a very strong bodied side and with a good balance of talls and smalls.
    They have a terrific development program out there don't they?

Their list is in terrific shape, and I certainly won't be surprised to see them finish in the top 8 and knock off a few more highly rated opponents.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Not any longer, they scrapped it.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

I was half watching for most of the first 3/4s as I did other things. I did hear the commentators say after the goal/behind reversal, that the decision can be reversed so long as play hasn't re-commenced. I didn't pick up whether it was based on the replay or simply another umpire out on the field.

As for Naitanui, he is going to be very, very good. Very big and strong, huge leap, good pressure skills and incredibly athletic. If his attitude is right and injuries don't play a part, he is quite likely to be one of the greats.
    Last edited by Before I Die; 13-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    They have a terrific development program out there don't they?

Their list is in terrific shape, and I certainly won't be surprised to see them finish in the top 8 and knock off a few more highly rated opponents.

No doubt. I like the way the can fill the flanks with stronger players which is a great contrast to us as a rule. If Kennedy can kick 50 plus goals then they can be strong contender this season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    West Coast will be one of the bigger improvers this season. .
    I agree, got them in my top 8. Theres going to be about 4 or 5 teams playing for 7th & 8th I believe.

Post Thanks / Like

Eagles foot skills are still ordinary. Masten gets a lot of the ball but he turns it over far too often. Ebert is similar but they do look very fit. I'm still not sold on the Eagles as I think they have a number of weaknesses, but they'll probably still improve and be a difficult proposition at WA.

The good signs for them are obviously Naitanui who looks very exciting. Always in the contest and has a rare ability to always be in control of a footy even if it's not in his direct grasp. Pressures better than any current ruck running around and his disposal was very good last night too. Heard he's already benching 130! His actual ruck work is OK but needs work. However at this stage - I'd be disappointed if I was a Melbourne supporter...

Kennedy was a real stand out too. Stepped up last year but I expect him to be a real force in 2010. His engine's bigger, he's got plenty of size, he was working up to the wings and doubling back. Not to mention, nice hands and a good kick for goal. He's going to be a real player.

I'd be worried if I was Essendon. Aside from Williams and Monfries their forward half looks one of the worst on paper. Ryder and Hille will have to spend time up there but they desperately need Gumbleton or Neagle to fire. Pears is a fine key defender but Hooker is more suited to the third tall. Means Hurley has to give them a hand, taking away from what he could offer as a FF/CHF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    As for Naitanui, he is going to be very, very good. Very big and strong, huge leap, good pressure skills and incredibly athletic. If his attitude is right and injuries don't play a part, he is quite likely to be one of the greats.

I logged on to Super Coach at half time and added Naitanui to my team. He was truly incredible; esp. with his attack on the ball and fierce tackling.

Essendon were poo. Stand out for them was Jobe Watson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    I logged on to Super Coach at half time and added Naitanui to my team.
    According to the HS website, he scored a whopping 178 SC points last night!

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr
    No doubt. I like the way the can fill the flanks with stronger players which is a great contrast to us as a rule. If Kennedy can kick 50 plus goals then they can be strong contender this season.
    Yep. They really do prefer the bigger-bodied types who are still athletic enough to compete with the running, but have great contested ball winning skills.

I think you are spot on that they really need to find a goal kicker, and if Kennedy can do that (and the signs are very promising) it will certainly help them a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TBB
    Eagles foot skills are still ordinary. Masten gets a lot of the ball but he turns it over far too often. Ebert is similar but they do look very fit.
    83% disposal efficiency last night apparently. I honestly haven't seen a bunch of Masten, but I think generally the Eagles have some fairly good users of the ball. Hurn had a bit of an off night, but he's usually very good and a couple of their kids coming through are noted for their exceptional foot skills in Luke Shuey and Ash Smith.

Will be interesting to watch how they all develop over the course of the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griffen#16 View Post
    83% disposal efficiency last night apparently. I honestly haven't seen a bunch of Masten, but I think generally the Eagles have some fairly good users of the ball. Hurn had a bit of an off night, but he's usually very good and a couple of their kids coming through are noted for their exceptional foot skills in Luke Shuey and Ash Smith.
    Essendon didn't give much resistance aside from the first quarter, and when they did, Eagles turned the ball over quite a bit. Against the top 8-10 sides, players like Masten and Ebert will be crucified if they don't get it right.

Anyone watching the Port Adelaide/Crows game? I think the Power would be pretty happy with the performance of a number of their young players. Hitchcook looks very good, Thompson has done some good things and Stewart is a presence up forward. Pearce still looks to be struggling though. For all his skill and pace, he doesn't do nearly enough.

Crows are a little behind in terms of preparation, but Walker has beefed up and looks like he could be in for a solid season. Impressed with Sellar in the back half too - I wouldn't of thought he had the mobility or smarts to play in such a position but it's an experiment that looks worthy so far.