Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NAB Cup - Other Teams Games

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The development of North and WCE will be interesting to watch this year, but suggesting they'll be massive improvers on the back of first week NAB Cup action is fraught with danger. They'll improve, but incrementally and not enough to push top 8.
    I think West Coast will jump ahead of North mainley due to the massive home ground advantage. Just off topic I hope so as I hate North with a passion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I think West Coast will jump ahead of North mainley due to the massive home ground advantage. Just off topic I hope so as I hate North with a passion
    I'm not that eunthused by WCE. Port will be a big improver this year and make the eight, while I won't be surprised to see Essendon to hold their spot and The Hawks will struggle to make it again as well.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    They still had a reasonably strong side in v Port Adelaide and were trailing by 90 points at one stage. Long way to go.
    I agree with the thrust of your argument, but this bit is slightly spurious -- we lost to the Bombers by nearly 80 points in the pre-season cup last year and it was hardly any gauge to either team's true capabilities in the season proper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    I agree with the thrust of your argument, but this bit is slightly spurious -- we lost to the Bombers by nearly 80 points in the pre-season cup last year and it was hardly any gauge to either team's true capabilities in the season proper.
    Didn't we lose by a point?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Didn't we lose by a point?
    You're right. What the hell am I thinking about? Maybe 2008?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep 2008. Bombers 113, Dogs 59, and we looked pretty ordinary IIRC -- I must have left towards the end before we kicked a few goals in junk-time.

My point stands (I think) -- we won the first round NAB cup game that year against North in a low-scoring game, then got trounced by Essendon, but still made the Prelims in the real season, which just tells us (as we are all well aware) that the NAB cup means very little in trying to get a handle on teams' formlines in the season proper.

Post Thanks / Like

I must say, Port looked good on the weekend, but I don't think they have enough strength or fitness to out-work our prime movers. They look to be on the way up, and seem to have added a bit more of a harder edge to their game, but I remain unconvinced.

I'd really like to see us clamp down on their ability to win the contested ball and feed their better players. I think under pressure they will struggle, and we can shut down the Pearce's and prevent their run.

Interestingly enough Port have said that they will be going out to win this thing, so expect a full strength side with Brogan, Tredrea, Motlop, Gray and Boak to all come back in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    I think it would be safer to say 6 Definites (Bulldogs, Saints, Cats, Hawks, Pies, Crows) and then the other two spots to fight over. I don't think it can be said with any conviction that Brisbane, WC, Port, Carlton should make the 8.

Was surprised by an article in the Hun today saying that Fevola can get 100 goals this year because he is being supplied by Brisbane's "quality" midfield (or another similar superlative). I would rate Carlton's midfield ahead of Brisbane's.

Port are such an inconsistent team that it's tough to say how they're going to do. Against unaccountable teams they will probably win the majority of games, and surprise a few of the higher ranked teams if they have off days.

WC are an improving side, who I feel will perform better than Port over the course of the year. Kennedy, LeCras, Lynch and McKinley form a strong forward line. A lot depends on the fitness/availability of Kerr and Cox to support their young midfield.

Sydney is my choice as one of the teams to sneak in but realistically it could be any of these 5, or even Essendon, North or Freo (obviously the less likely three. Essendon have no experience, North are a fairly unknown quantity, and Freo...well, who knows about Freo). Richmond and Melbourne are the only ways I completely rule out.

Gonna be a great season. Although I must say, I care a lot more about the top 4 than I do about the top 8.
    I'm not sure Fev will kick 100 either in that side, he really was the goto man at Carlton, and Carltons mids don't see to generate as many scoring shots as some other sides, so thats one main reason i see them falling this year, Fev will also have JBrown to share the goals with.

At Carlton, i think Betts will struggle somewhat with having no key forward around him, the likes of Henderson, the big Irish, Waite etc might play deep forward at times, but they ain't Fev, and apart frm Marc Murphy who seems to kick a few goals from the midfield, i'm not too sure they have many others that score more than 20 goals per season.

I like West Coast, they seem to have a well balanced side all over the ground, and if they can keep Kerr & Cox on the field for most of the season, who knows, Kennedy will also improve as that big key forward, then like you said, La Cras is quality, McKinley plays as that smaller forward, similar to Brad Johnson, Porplezia....

Post Thanks / Like

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU'RE WATCHING THE CH 10 COVERAGE

It's laughable how bad Freo are at times. St Kilda aren't even playing particularly well (Ray has been poor) but find themselves up by 6 goals at half time.

At least we'll be playing in Melbourne next week.

Post Thanks / Like

SPOILER ALERT IF YOU'RE WATCHING THE CH 10 COVERAGE

It's laughable how bad Freo are at times. St Kilda aren't even playing particularly well (Ray has been poor) but find themselves up by 6 goals at half time.

At least we'll be playing in Melbourne next week.
    Watching it now, late in 2Q. Awful game. I wonder if this is the best preparation for next week for Saints?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it just me or does anyone else find Gerald Healy commentary irritating.

Also he would like to see the super goal during the regular season, call me old fashion but that's BS, alright for this pre season stuff but leave it there.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Watching it now, late in 2Q. Awful game. I wonder if this is the best preparation for next week for Saints?
    It's hard to gauge how well the Saints have played, because Freo have been woeful. Clint Jones has become a gun, though.

Post Thanks / Like

Clint Jones has become a gun, though.
    Agreed. Very impressive.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

It's hard to gauge how well the Saints have played, because Freo have been woeful. Clint Jones has become a gun, though.
    He is still a cheat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    He is still a cheat.
    Yeah, and his face is pretty punchable too. I should note that 40 touches against Fremantle is really worth 15-20 against an average AFL side.

Geez, they were shocking tonight.