Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Adam Cooney: I'm too left-field to be skipper

Mark Stevens - Herald Sun - 16 February

BROWNLOW medallist Adam Cooney has been added to the Western Bulldogs leadership group as the club embarks on a mission to unearth its next skipper.

With Brad Johnson possibly entering his final campaign, the Bulldogs will go through the season without a vice-captain, leaving the race to replace him wide open.

Article in full...
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Cooney: I'm too left-field to be skipper

I'm obviously an outsider looking in and I don't see all the behind the scenes inter reactions that occur but I think there are better candidates at the club to be in the leadership group than Cooney and I certainly don't see him as a potential captain of the club. He's an undeniable talent but he just doesn't exhibit the right qualities that good leaders do.
    To me, he would rather be one of the boys than one of the leaders.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'm obviously an outsider looking in and I don't see all the behind the scenes inter reactions that occur but I think there are better candidates at the club to be in the leadership group than Cooney and I certainly don't see him as a potential captain of the club. He's an undeniable talent but he just doesn't exhibit the right qualities that good leaders do.
    Who do you reckon would be better? I agree that there is others there that would maybe do a better job but i reckon its good to have someone a bit "different" in the leadership group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    Who do you reckon would be better? I agree that there is others there that would maybe do a better job but i reckon its good to have someone a bit "different" in the leadership group.
    Robert Murphy fits that bill nicely.

Giansiracusa, Cross, Body, Murphy, Higgins, Morris and Minson would be my preferences.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert Murphy fits that bill nicely.

Giansiracusa, Cross, Body, Murphy, Higgins, Morris and Minson would be my preferences.
    Point taken about Murphy. So you would prefer Minson in the leadership group over Cooney? With not being apart of the inner sanctum my personal preference would be Cooney but i dont think there would be much between them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ryan Griffen's name never seems to get mentioned much.

I know he is widely regarded as being a pretty quiet and reserved bloke, but he's certainly someone who has stood up in big pressure games on the field - which is something I'd want our next captain to be able to do, just as Johnno has done.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you need to look past Gia, Cross or Boyd.
    One of those 3, or 2 even, would be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

From the sounds of it, it looks like something that has been done more to lift Coons's game on the field (give him the extra responsibility and see how he stands up to it) than for his specific leadership skills. I guess with leadership groups being as big as they are these days you can chuck a couple of guys in there for their own professional development rather than to actually 'lead' as such.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see the next captain be one of - Higgins, Boyd, Murphy.

As Cooney has stated I don't think that he is the type of guy who could captain a club. It's just not him.

Post Thanks / Like

The positive i see is that we have quite a few players that could easily take over the captaincy when Johnno retires, the names being mentioned are all worthy candidates - Boyd, Murphy, Gia, Cross, Higgins, Morris.

Which puts us in a great position going forward, having quite a few players with genuine leadership skills.

Agree with everyone that Coons probably isn't the type to captain a side, but a very happy about him being added to the leadership group.

Post Thanks / Like

Would being in a leadership group make it harder to leave a club for more money?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty_west View Post
    The positive i see is that we have quite a few players that could easily take over the captaincy when Johnno retires, the names being mentioned are all worthy candidates - Boyd, Murphy, Gia, Cross, Higgins, Morris.

Which puts us in a great position going forward, having quite a few players with genuine leadership skills.

Agree with everyone that Coons probably isn't the type to captain a side, but a very happy about him being added to the leadership group.
    There are a number of candidates but I don't rank Boyd as one.

Good player but fair dinkum he has had a charisma bypass. Never seen him laugh or smile. There is more than leadership on the field in the Captain's role. He has to represent the club and present the right picture.

Image is important in order to attract Members and Sponsors. Boyd looks like he has just stepped out of a horror movie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fish View Post
    So you would prefer Minson in the leadership group over Cooney? With not being apart of the inner sanctum my personal preference would be Cooney but i dont think there would be much between them.
    Sure would and by a fair margin. At the recent intra club game Will was watching from the boundary line and every time a media person or former club player entered that area Will talked to them and made them feel welcome. I've seen Cooney at a couple of club functions and he isn't that accommodating.

Post Thanks / Like

What makes a good captain:
    - Having enough quality to be ensured of a spot in the side. Being in the top 10 or so also would really help gain respect etc.
    - Tough/strong work ethic which helps set positive expectations/culture.
    - Having a 'voice'/being willing to pull a mate into line etc.

The added elements that come with professionalism:
    - Media skills/charisma
    - Clean record/good reputation.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being 'left field' probably doesn't help you in being a captain considering all the macho crap that gets you respect from masses of men but I think Cooney is actually using it in place of 'relaxed' in this instance.

I don't think Cooney has a bad attitude to footy, I actually believe he works quiet hard but in comparison to elite footballers/attitude to footy, he seems a little relaxed in the day to day going ons. Come finals or the 4 qtr in a close game, I back Cooney to lift and work hard but he is the type of guy who finds an intra club or NAB cup game boring.

FWIW my captain order for 2011 would go.
    1- Higgins (although I am concerned about his injuries)
    2- Giansiracusa (good in media, experienced player, great work ethic towards traing etc but concerned about his aging body and doubts over his on field performances being 'captain' like)
    3- Boyd (lack of a personality hurts)

Post Thanks / Like

Sure would and by a fair margin.
    Me too.
    The curse is dead.