Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Adam Cooney: I'm too left-field to be skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    To what extent might the club be using the prospect of captaincy to strengthen Cooney's sense of commitment to the place and help dissuade him from the temptations of the Gold Coast?
    Possible but I wouldn't think the lure of being in the leadership group would be that strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    To what extent might the club be using the prospect of captaincy to strengthen Cooney's sense of commitment to the place and help dissuade him from the temptations of the Gold Coast?
    A few people have mentioned this.

Wasn't Judd captain of a club and left.

If you want to go you will go regardless of your role within the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone thought of Lakey? He is always leading his troops in the backline, directing them, and leads by example. Plus he resigned for 4 yrs so as to be a 1 team player

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Robert Murphy fits that bill nicely.

Giansiracusa, Cross, Body, Murphy, Higgins, Morris and Minson would be my preferences.
    The two obvious choices would have to be Boyd and Morris. Higgins simply isn't ready.
    Constant injuries would rule Murphy out of the equation. Gia lacks a lot in key games and doesn't possess the grit and determination of Boyd or Morris. Minson is simply too inconsistent to be considered. Cross is Cross ,great courage, but lacking real class.

Post Thanks / Like

What if Higgins has an injury free season and plays all 22 games this year and stamps himself as one of the games better midfielders? Would this change people's opinions of him as captaincy material?

I have heard Scott West speak very highly of him previously and I recall reading Paul Kelly's book where he and Ron Barrassi spoke about Kelly being thrown into the captaincy perhaps while he was too young but they were confident he could grow into the role. All of this was possible because they had senior players around him who could support, encourage and assist him develop into the role. I know it's not exactly the same situation but Higgins is highly rated and we do have many players in the 27-30 player category who could support him and develop into the role. He is one of the few who seems able to tick both boxes of leadership and marketability.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a best player or most popular competition.

Gia should be a certainty.

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason he reminds me a bit of Nathan Brown who I admired as a footballer but never thought he should be a leader at the club.
    GVGjr - Sorry, but I don't agree with this? IMO, Cooney is yet to reach his full potential. I just don't see him as fully matured. He will always be left of centre, but that's okay, quirky is good. Browny was just arrogant, and I don't see that in Cooney (not that I know him personally). As for our next captain, I'm probably leaning more towards Gia
    Last edited by GVGjr; 21-02-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed the quote

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Griffen View Post
    GVGjr - Sorry, but I don't agree with this? IMO, Cooney is yet to reach his full potential. I just don't see him as fully matured. He will always be left of centre, but that's okay, quirky is good. Browny was just arrogant, and I don't see that in Cooney (not that I know him personally). As for our next captain, I'm probably leaning more towards Gia
    No problems. To me Browny never grew up and I'm currently not seeing the maturing of Cooney either. I'd have to agree that Cooney isn't arrogant.

Post Thanks / Like

No problems. To me Browny never grew up and I'm currently not seeing the maturing of Cooney either. I'd have to agree that Cooney isn't arrogant.
    Raising someone else's child as your own seems pretty mature to me(from a young age too). He is just a little bit different IMO.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't disagree with the Browny analogy but would disagree with the Cooney one, it takes a bloke with maturity to admit and realise that the captaincy isn't for them.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Was very impressed with him on gameday last night. Spoke very well and looked at ease with it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bobmurphy View Post
    Was very impressed with him on gameday last night. Spoke very well and looked at ease with it all.
    My choice for Captain.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.