Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dimma to take over from Smorgon?

Tony Sheahan - Sunday Herald Sun - 21 February

No link

David Smorgon, who has been the Western Bulldogs President since 1996, says he won't be going anywhere until his term concludes in 2011.

But wealthy businessman Paul Dimattina is already being tipped as his heir.

Although he wouldn't be drawn into any discussion about the presidency, Dimattina confirmed he had been approached to take up a board position & there had been discussions about taking on the role of football director, replacing Simon Garlick, who is now the club's chief commercial officer.

"I had a couple of people come & talk to me." Dimattina said.

"There were a couple of meetings, but I didn't think the timing was right."

"At the end of this year...I wouldn't mind putting my hand up to join the board."

Smorgon admitted he was unaware of anyone who had approached the restaurateur.

"Paul is a successful man. He is passionate & he would bring a lot to the table." Smorgon said. "If he is interested, fine, but I haven't spoken to him & he hasn't spoken to me."

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm elected until the end of next year. I've got until the end of 2011 & I'm hoping we can win a flag or even two in that time."

"If someone is better credentialed, they should out their hand up."

* Interesting to read about Dimma, no doubt he's passionate, but it does beg the question, should the President come from someone already on the board?

Both Hawthorn & Melbourne in recent times have had Jeff Kennett & Jim Stynes take on the Presidency without first coming from the board.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dimma to take over from Smorgon?

He was asked to look at going on the board as football director to take over a position that looks vacant, and by the reading of it, it looks like he was asked before the last elections.

But wealthy businessman Paul Dimattina is already being tipped as his heir.
    By whom? the writer?

Fact is at some stage someone takes over, Smorgs has been awesome, he has 2 years to run and maybe that will be enough, whats wrong with looking now at the alternatives or searching out the right person available for the right time?

Planning ahead, bringing the person on board so he is up to speed and its a smooth transition is a pretty spot on way to do it in my book.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't Dimmatina have something to do with Richmond? Or is that Pauls father?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dazb View Post
    Doesn't Dimmatina have something to do with Richmond? Or is that Pauls father?
    His father Frank, played for Richmond & was Kevin Bartlett's football manager when he coached the Tigers.

Paul is a Bulldog, through & through.

Post Thanks / Like

The return of the "Wog Squad" Dimma and Libba, all we need is for Jose to put his hand up again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Esranit View Post
    The return of the "Wog Squad" Dimma and Libba, all we need is for Jose to put his hand up again.
    I didn't know Jose ever left?

I thought he was still on the board?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salmon View Post
    I didn't know Jose ever left?

I thought he was still on the board?
    He was replaced a while back by Simon Garlick.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=4251

Post Thanks / Like

Is Jose still involved at all down at the club?

What was the reason behind him leaving the board?

Post Thanks / Like

Will certainly be a different vibe at board level. Smorgan is a gentlemean, Dimmatina is an arrogant pig who could only dream of having 1% of Smorgan's charm.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

David Smorgon is doing an absolutely brilliant job and he has a very good Board who work extremely well together. It is news to me about Paul Dimmatina and his intentiions for a Board position.
    ________
    Cumshot Tube
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 19-03-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by susie View Post
    David Smorgon is doing an absolutely brilliant job and he has a very good Board who work extremely well together.
    That he is - fingers crossed he signs on for another term after the conclusion of his current one.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets hope he does sign up for another term. I am sure all supporters of the WB would be pleased. He is passionate about our Club. He puts in incredible hours (voluntarily) to give us the club we have today. Yes, he is a gentleman and treats both male and female equally. Long live David Smorgon and the mighty Western Bulldogs.
    ________
    Ipad Guide
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 19-03-2011 at 01:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very well said Susie - and I totally agree with you! It definitely would make my day if he signed on for another term.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps if we write to the WB and express our feelings that we would like David Smorgon to continue as our President then the message would be loud and clear to anyone trying to unsettle our wonderful club. I do not think the supporters have any idea of the time and dedication that David Smorgon has committed to our club since 1996. He is a fine leader and will go down in the history of our club as one of the greatest Presidents of the WB.
    ________
    Vapir No2 Vaporizer
    Last edited by LostDoggy; 19-03-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have any idea what/who prompted the Dimma push as reported by Tony Sheahan?