Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Grand time to deliver

Tom Williams' grand time to deliver

Mike Sheahan From: Herald Sun

WHEN the Western Bulldogs drafted Tom Williams in 2004, he became the ultimate "project player": a rangy, athletic teenager from Brisbane with a rugby/rugby league background.

He had played just one season of Australian football, yet then recruiting manager Scott Clayton was smitten. He was Clayton's perfect specimen - 196cm, quick, agile.

Five years on, Williams has played just 33 games, and he wouldn't have completed 6-8 of those.

His career has been a mix of huge promise, sometimes wild expectations, demoralising injuries and persistent frustration.

Williams was taken at No. 6 in the national draft of '04, between Hawthorn's second and third picks, Lance Franklin and Jordan Lewis.

The two Hawks have played 102 games; Richmond's Brett Deledio, No. 1 that year, has played 106.

It's no one's fault, simply fate.

Click HERE to read the rest of the article.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grand time to deliver

Well balanced article.

The expectations have been unreasonable - not based on his talent, but his inability to stay fit. As a top 10 pick, the pressure he would place on himself has only been intensified by coaches, supporters and team mates all hyping him as the next great key defender. His constant battles with injury only serve to make things worse.

If we had our time again, I'm sure the football department would go in to Tommy-lock down and not speak about him until he was well and truly ready to go.

Tonight probably won't mean a lot in the scheme of things (in regards to Tommy's career) but a good performance would be great for his confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

Go Tommy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If we had our time again, I'm sure the football department would go in to Tommy-lock down and not speak about him until he was well and truly ready to go.

Tonight probably won't mean a lot in the scheme of things (in regards to Tommy's career) but a good performance would be great for his confidence.
    Agree with this.

Every year players and coaches would declare him a certain 22 game player and I think it probably got a bit much. They've definitely stepped it back in the last 12 months - or perhaps more specifically 6 months.

I think tonight is a pretty big night for Tommy. It may not outline or determine the rest of his career, but it could have an effect. If he gets belted - his confidence is going to be shot. He desperately needs to string some good performances on quality key forwards to help launch his season. If he was able to have a solid game tonight - it'd do his confidence the world of good. After all the setbacks and form slumps, he needs a break.

If I recall correctly he rarely has played against the Saints. Each time we've played them, he's been injured except perhaps once or twice? Good test for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night was a Good night for Tom.
    He made a few errors, misjudged hings, but he certainly delivered.

Hope ya have a good, & injury free, season.

Go the Tomstar

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it was great to see him run around last night. He looks fit (hopefully he will stay that way), was hard at the ball, and did some nice things! I reckon he can only get better with more matches under his belt