Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our opponents next week: Freo

Funny hit and miss team with a lot of talent. What are our strengths and weaknesses against them and vice versa?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our opponents next week: Freo

Sounds like Solomon is on report. Any other reports or injuries for Freo?

Also sounds like Pavlich got them out of gaol. Brian, go get him.

Post Thanks / Like

Some speculation that Pav might have kneed someone today. That would be great news for us if he was to miss a week.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

They are rubbish but are the sort of team we would find a way to lose against. Dont have alot of depth in their best 22 and rely heavily on a few players. Very one paced midfield who all to often take out their aggression on the man instead of the ball. They certainly have some weapons but I would be dissapointed if we didn't get up. Richmond played all over them for most of today and should have won by plenty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Some speculation that Pav might have kneed someone today. That would be great news for us if he was to miss a week.
    Wouldn't it be - we could really use a Pav playing for us

Post Thanks / Like

Headland is another I'd be worried about, he's had a great year and virtually won the match for them yesterday with his 5 goals.

Should be a good game.

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure I read somewhere that Sandilands may have hurt a groin yesterday. Paper also reporting McPharlin as having a hamstring.

I will be interested to see how we go containing the duel threat of Tarrant and Pavlich. Eade gave the quick leading Fevola to Morris after he did a good job the year before so logic suggests that he might do the same with Pavlich. Morris did a good job on Pavlich last year other than a couple of marking contests. He might also put Harris on him given the sort of form Harris is in but he didn't do that with Fevola so it is a hard one to call. Pav might run Harris around a bit but he is also likely to be a it strong for Morris. Going to be interesting which way they go but I will back in who ever he chooses. Hargrave to go to Tarrant and make him work both ways. Mundy played forward a bit yesterday so thats something we need to be a little careful of. Headland is a dead set cheat but he is very good at it. Probably would have gone to Griffen but hard to say now.

They are a very physical big bodied side but lately they have had a bit too much focus on the man in my opinion. They dont have alot of great runners so they really need to be smashing sides for the contested ball and they haven't been doing that. They are more than capable of doing it if we let them though. Hasleby, Bell (ran riot yesterday), Carr and these sort of guys can win plenty of the ball. With Schammer out they rely alot on guys like Peake and Crowley for midfield run and then guys like Hayden for defensive rebound. If we man up hard and apply heaps of pressure then they will quickly become pretty slow with their ball movement and thats the best way to beat them I think. Dont give them easy outlets out wide and then they lack the running power to really break you open.

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be a very difficult match-up for us. Headland has been running amok and they have a bit of size about the team. The Carr brothers add a bit of agro around the midfield and Hasleby and Black have been in great form. Sandilands, Tarrant and Pavlich need to be contained and while Harris has been in terrific form Pav is the type of player that might test him. Tarrant poses another test for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This is going to be a very difficult match-up for us. Headland has been running amok and they have a bit of size about the team. The Carr brothers add a bit of agro around the midfield and Hasleby and Black have been in great form. Sandilands, Tarrant and Pavlich need to be contained and while Harris has been in terrific form Pav is the type of player that might test him. Tarrant poses another test for us.
    Good calls - we need to match their in and under work of the Carrs and Haselby - and Black is an important link up man for them as he is a better kick than Peak and Schammer. If we win enough ball in tight we should spread and use it to well for them, we looked quicker than Brisbane all night and hopefully we can do the same against Freo.

They struggled with our smaller forward types at the dome last year, Higgins lit them up

Is that the only time we played them?

Did Street play against Sandilands last time? How would you describe that matchup - Dry Rot?

Post Thanks / Like

Very good clearance team with Bell, Carr's and Haselby and Sandilands in the ruck. Not an overly quick team so we may have a big advantage there.

Have a dangerous forwardline, Pavlich and Tarrant have been in great form. I would not be totally surprised if we play Hargrave on Tarrant and Morris on Pavlich. Pavlich plays a similiar style to Fevola, very strong on the lead and Morris is our best defender on a leading forward. This will allow Harris and perhaps Williams to zone off there opponents abit and fill the hole or create a third man up situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Very good clearance team with Bell, Carr's and Haselby and Sandilands in the ruck. Not an overly quick team so we may have a big advantage there.

Have a dangerous forwardline, Pavlich and Tarrant have been in great form. I would not be totally surprised if we play Hargrave on Tarrant and Morris on Pavlich. Pavlich plays a similiar style to Fevola, very strong on the lead and Morris is our best defender on a leading forward. This will allow Harris and perhaps Williams to zone off there opponents abit and fill the hole or create a third man up situation.
    Excellent observation and something that I hadn't considered.
    If they are the match-ups would Williams for McDougall who is more suited up forward become a consideration? Of course Williams might be able to be tried up forward as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

Did Street play against Sandilands last time? How would you describe that matchup - Dry Rot?
    Sorry, can't recall the game and I don't see much of freo up here on FTA. What is Sandilands like around the ground?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Sorry, can't recall the game and I don't see much of freo up here on FTA. What is Sandilands like around the ground?
    I can't recall the game either but Sandilands is impressive around the ground when he is playing well.

Post Thanks / Like

How big is this weeks game?

If we win it puts us two games clear of Freo and puts them a long way back.

Essendon (7-4) play Port (6-5) in Adelaide
    Collingwood (7-4) play Sydney (6-5)
    North (7-4) play Adelaide (6-5)

Win and we're right up amoungst them, get beat and we start to lose touch.

Post Thanks / Like

Since we lost to Carlton it really is a must win game. If we lose it isn't all over, but it makes the journey that much harder. Both teams have a lot to play for, going to be interesting to see whose more hungry.